The boy at the cafe

Rainbow

A few days passed by and my muscles felt sore and every step I made hurt. But it was alright. I had to work hard and I would soon get used to the pains in my muscles. I walked towards the mirror and brushed my pastel pink hair with my fingers. My skin was pale and my circles were dark. While I was doing my makeup, Fay Linn walked in, but I did not notice her. “Eonni!” she said, full of joy. I dropped the eyeliner and it left a thick stripe on the wooden floor. “Gahh! You scared me!” I snapped. “Eonni, I came to tell you we are having a performance soon!” “Jinjja?” “Nae, we have to practice hard now!” “When is it?” “At the YG Family concert,” Fay Linn smiled brightly. “That’s great,” I mumbled while tying my hair into a messy bun. Fay Linn jumped onto my bed. I forced myself not to cringe. “Imagine us standing there on that stage, wearing pretty clothes and the audience clapping and cheering, omo, that seems so beautiful, right?” she dreamily said and clapped in excitement. “Yes,” I said and smiled slightly.


“Yun Hee, you must focus,” Jiyong said and touched my shoulder. I felt a sizzling feeling through my body. Jiyong was my idol, it was still a little weird for me to be around him. “The performance is in three weeks, we must be able to perform this to the fullest every time!” I nodded and bit my lip. I felt hot and was sweating. “Alright, we’re taking a break,” Jiyong said and picked up a water bottle. I sat down in the corner, observing the others. Fay Linn was jumping around, as usual. I wished I could have share some of her never-ending energy. Gi Moon was practicing her high notes with Jung Mi and Gi Mei was practicing her dance moves. I closed my eyes and wiped the sweat off my forehead. I remember one of Jiyong’s tips. You must feel the beat when rapping. You must feel one with the beat. I stood up and walked towards the stereo set. “Come on, guys! Let’s continue!” I said and felt full of energy again.


At the end of the day, I decided to go have a snack on my own. The rest of the girls went home, but I needed some alone-time. “Watch out for the creepy ahjussi’s,” Gi Moon jokingly said and waved me goodbye. It was a short walk to the café. I was humming along with ‘Coup D’état’ and opened the door. The café was enlightened by a variety of coloured candles and had a cosy feeling to it. I sat down at a table and a waitress approached me. “Annyeonghaseyo, I would like some noodles.” I looked around and started scrolling down my twitter timeline. Nothing really interesting caught my eye. Another waitress put a plate on my table. It was rice. “Uhh, I think you got the wrong table. I ordered noodles.” I said calmly. The waitress looked around. “Ahh, sorry! I swapped around your order with table 4. I will-” “Aniyo, I will bring it myself. It’s okay.” I only said this because I was really hungry and actually impatient. A boy with dark brown hair turned around. He had a small face and looked surprised. “So that’s the person who received my meal,” he said. I did not know what to say to him. I just nodded and put down his plate. “Thank you for returning it,” he said. “You’re welcome,” I mumbled. The boy took my bowl and was about to give it to me, when he shook his head and placed the bowl back on the table again. I frowned. “In return for your kindness to give me my meal, you may eat with me.” “What if I don’t want that?” The boy laughed. “Hahaha, you are a funny girl. Why is it that you have pink hair?” he asked. I blushed. “Oh, that’s for our concept. I am in a group. I am a rapper.” I closed my eyes for a second. I already told this stranger more than enough about myself. “Is that so? How nice! I am in a group too. It’s called BEAST.” I recognized the name. “Ahh, I know you guys,” I smiled. He seemed happy to hear that. “I am the main vocal.” I hesitantly sat down. The boy started eating. I awkwardly shoved some noodles into my mouth. This boy embarrassed me and I didn’t know why. “Did you guys release an album yet?” He asked after a few minutes of silence. I shook my head and swallowed my food. “We are preparing one at the moment. Soon we will perform on stage and after that we will release an album,” I said. “Very nice,” he muttered. He looked very cute when he smiled. I looked down. What was I doing. When I finished my noodles, I checked my phone and stood up. “Ahh, I have to go home now,” I bowed and turned around. When I almost reached the door, the boy stood up. “Pink-haired girl, what is your name? I am Yoseob.” I turned my head around and grinned. “Yun Hee is my name,” I said and left.

 

(Lisanne)