My Life Is Over

A Family Once Forgotten

Daehyun’s POV

She knows. Sophie knows that I’m a prince. “Sophie,” I begin as I stand there staring at her, but she cuts me off.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” she asks. “Did you think I would treat you differently because of it? Couldn’t you trust me knowing about this type of thing? Why didn’t you tell me?”

My heart breaks while I look at Sophie in helplessness. I don’t know what I can say to make her happy; I don’t know what I can do to help her. I’m the one that lied. I’m the one that attempted to keep it a secret from her because I didn’t want her to know. In the end, it blew up in my face and I no longer have any control over it.

“I wanted to tell you,” I manage to say. “I wanted to tell you everything.”

“Then why didn’t you?” she asks as she stares at me. She’s obviously hurt and I can see tears starting to form in her eyes. Without saying another word, Sophie quickly rushes inside and I run after her only to be stopped by Hyosung in my path.

“What did you do to her?” she sternly asks as she puts her hands on her hips.

“Noona, not now,” I plead. I watch as Sophie’s back disappears up the stairs. I attempt to move past her again, but she still stays with her feet firmly planted in the ground. “Noona, please.”

“Not until you tell me what you did to make her cry.”

“Noona, I didn’t know it was going to be this bad,” I say giving up and looking at her as my eyes start becoming a little moist. “I didn’t know that she was going to be this hurt.”

“Hurt by what? Jung Daehyun, what did you do now?”

“She found out. Sophie found out about me being a prince, about our whole family, everything.”

I watch as Hyosung goes quiet. She looks at me and back to where we saw Sophie disappear, she’s probably in her room right now. Who knows if she’s going to stay or if she’s going to leave. She’ll probably end up leaving and I’ll never see her again.

“How does she know?” Hyosung whispers.

“I…I don’t know,” I say shaking my head. “She didn’t tell me, but I bet it was that L.Joe guy. He brought her home earlier and he probably said something then. I should’ve just told her earlier.”

“Look, what’s done is done. Does she know about your marriage yet?”

I stop thinking about Sophie at those words and glare at Hyosung. “How do you know about it?”

“Everyone’s going to know about it sooner or later.”

“What do you mean?”

“Mom told me to come and get you.”

“What does she want now?” I ask throwing my hands up in the air.

“She says that you’re going to announce your marriage to everyone.”

“Look, it’s only the first day, can’t I do that tomorrow?” I ask.

“Too late, they’ve already planned everything and it’s happening tonight. The sooner the better they figured.”

“How am I supposed to get out of it if it’s out to the world? If Mom really did force me to get married, then how are we going to keep it secret if she announces it to everyone?”

“Sorry,” Hyosung says as her expression grows grim. “I didn’t know how much you didn’t like the idea.”

“You know what, I hate the idea.”

“Why? I mean, I understand you not wanting to get married, but this is about the future of everyone. You’re going to become the king one day.”

“And what if I don’t want it?” I ask. “What if I don’t want to become the king? Why can’t they just make Himchan become king?”

“Because that’s not what he’s supposed to do. Now just…go get ready or go tell Mom that you don’t want to do it,” Hyosung says sighing as she begins to walk away.

“She’ll say that I have to go through it and force me there,” I mutter.

“Then you’re going to have to do something else,” Hyosung yells as she continues walking.

 

Sophie’s POV

I have never felt more betrayed. Sure I knew that he didn’t tell me but I thought there would’ve been at least a decent reason. Instead, Daehyun stared at me with a blank expression on his face. Why didn’t he tell me? He said that he wanted to tell me, but I guess six years of friendship isn’t enough to do anything. I thought we had a good friendship, but in the end we don’t have anything.

“Sophie?” someone asks as they knock on my door. It takes me a moment to recognize the voice as Youngjae. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah,” I say quickly wiping the tears as the door opens. “I’m okay. Why?” I give a smile and Youngjae enters my room.

“I thought I heard you crying. Did something happen?” he asks as he sits down on my bed.

“No,” I say shaking my head. I don’t know if I should tell Youngjae that I know or not. In the end, he’s going to know that I know. “Youngjae-oppa,” I say throwing in the word that I’ve learned, “if you knew someone for six years, would you tell them everything?”

“Everything?” he asks.

“Yeah, everything, like hidden family secrets and things of that nature.”

“I guess I probably would,” he says thinking about it. “I would say that I’m close to the person after six years. By that point I don’t understand why the other wouldn’t already know about those hidden secrets.”

“Thanks,” I say as I hug my pillow tighter.

“Is there something bothering you?”

“Why would you ask that?”

“Because that reference you made is probably to you and Daehyun, right. Did you guys get in a fight?”

“You could say,” I say as I lie down on my bed and stare at him. “I’m not sure what to call our friendship right now.”

“I’m sure that Daehyun cares a lot about you,” Youngjae says.

“How are you so sure?”

“I see the way that he looks at you. He really cares. Don’t misjudge him, alright? You guys have been friends since forever. Don’t let something simple come in between you.”

I think about Youngjae’s words. If only he knew how big the issue is between us right now then maybe he would understand. “Thanks,” I say sighing.

“No problem,” he says as he makes his way towards the door. “I guess I’ll leave you go now.”

“Thanks.”

I stare at the ceiling while holding onto my pillow. I thought I would be fine with knowing that Daehyun’s a prince, but I feel horrible. I thought that everything would be able to work itself out after I told him, but things got even worse. I thought things would just be like they were before I knew, but now everything is different. I guess Daehyun and I will never be able to go back to the way that we were before I knew. It’s just impossible now.

Feeling like I have no one to turn to, I take out my phone and call L.Joe. “Hello?” he answers. It sounds like his mouth is full. “Sophie, are you there?” he asks.

“I’m here,” I quietly say.

“Is something wrong?” he asks. I hear metal clanging, so he’s probably eating. “Should I pick you up? Do you need help?”

“No, no, nothing like that,” I say gently laughing to myself. It feels like such a long time ago that my parents were worrying those same questions. I miss them, I really do and now more than ever it seems.

“Why are you calling me? Do you miss the L.Joe charm?”

“Maybe,” I chuckle. “I’ve turned to you a lot today, sorry.”

“No need to be sorry,” he says laughing along with me. “What did you call for? There had to be a purpose. Are you home safely?”

“I’m home fine,” I say as I look around the room. “Can this even be called home?”

“What are you talking about?” he asks.

“I’m just a visitor here, a guest. I really have no place here.”

“You’re confusing me, Sophie,” L.Joe says in a serious tone.

“I told him that I know that he’s a prince and now I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what I’m feeling inside. It feels like I’m disappointed that he kept it from me, but it’s hard staying mad at him.”

“You know what,” L.Joe says as he chuckles. “I think you like him.”

 

Daehyun’s POV

Night slowly falls and it’s time for me to go to the stupid venue with my parents. I walk past Sophie’s room one last time before I go downstairs. She hasn’t come out of her room since she came home. “Excuse me,” I say to one of the passing maids.

“Yes?” she asks.

“Can you please deliver some food to Sophie, I’m afraid of her skipping her meals.”

“Of course,” she says bowing as she hurries downstairs to get some food.

I make my way down the stairs myself to see my parents happily standing there, or at least my mother is happily standing there. I can’t figure out what my father’s expression is supposed to be. “Ready to announce to everyone that you’re getting married?”

“I don’t know why you’re suddenly rushing things,” I mutter as I climb into the car with them.

“Because we’ve pushed your wedding up to next week,” Mom says with a smile.

“What?” I yell causing both of my parents to jump. “Next week? What happened to the month?”

“We thought that would be too long,” Mom says as she puts herself together again after that scare. “So, we bumped it up to a week. You think that we can’t pull the wedding off in a week? We’re royalty, Daehyun.”

“I don’t want to get married,” I say crossing my arms. “You can’t force me to do this.”

“Yes we can,” Mom sternly says. I look to Dad for support, but he doesn’t say anything and continues staring off into space.

“I don’t know why you’re doing this,” I tell the both of them.

Mom doesn’t answer me and the rest of the ride is silent until we get to the venue. Already there are a lot of people waiting outside for me to arrive. Thanks to all of the bodyguards around, we’re successfully able to enter. I see Jieun standing inside there and I look at her. I can’t help feeling sorry for her since she got dragged into this mess.

“You heard about our wedding I guess,” she says as I make my way over to her.

“You could say,” I say sighing. “How are we supposed to get out of this mess now?”

“I don’t know,” she says looking nervously from side to side. “But if we’re going to announce it, then there’s no possible way we could keep it a secret from the kids at school.”

“I know,” I say when it suddenly hits me. I’m making this announcement. I have blonde hair. Now my secret’s going to be out to the world.

“Are you okay?” Jieun nervously asks.

“I’m fine,” I say showing her a smile. “I just don’t want to announce it; I don’t want to get married.”

“You don’t?” Jieun asks looking at me.

“You do?” I ask looking at her.

“I was starting to accept the idea.”

In reality, Jieun probably just wants to get married because I’m the prince. She knows that I’m royalty and I’ll be able to support whatever she does, but there’s a force holding me back. I don’t want to get married. I feel like we’re not really connected. Sure, we’ve only known each other for like one day, but…maybe I really do like Sophie.

“Well, I’m not,” I tell her straight out. I know being honest in these types of situations is the best thing to do. “I…I can’t get married. I know it’s my duty and everything, but I can’t.”

“Why not?” she questions. I have no idea why she’s starting to question me. I’m the prince, but my mom’s the queen and she’ll always hold that over me. “Do you like someone else?”

“I think I do.”

“Who is it? Is it that Sophie girl?” Little by little Jieun is starting to get on my nerves and I’m realizing what a horrible person she is.

“So what if it is?” I ask. “She’s better than you are. Now I’m finally realizing what your true colors are.”

“Please, I knew you were the prince since forever. I even knew the first day you landed in Korea.”

“How? Are you my stalker?” I ask.

“Let’s just say that I’ve been keeping a close watch on you and now we’re going to get married. It’s every girl’s dream come true, but,” she says as she comes closer to my face, “just know that Sophie’s not going to get you. I am. I have enough money in the world to get rid of Sophie. I know who she really is.”

“Kids, save the romantic stuff for later,” Mom says interrupting our conversation that just got interesting. “It’s time to go on. The show is about to start.”

I can’t believe I have to do this and what does Jieun know about Sophie? Is she keeping a secret from me?

 

Sophie’s POV

I eat the meal that was sent into my room as I still talk on the phone with L.Joe. “Well, I’m eating now,” I tell him. “The maids brought in stuff.”

“Stop trying to change the subject. I’ve been asking you this question forever now,” L.Joe complains. “You like Daehyun, stop trying to deny it. So, what do you like about him the most?”

“I don’t like him,” I say shaking my head. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Denial. Just accept it. The sooner you accept it the better it’ll be.”

“But I don’t like him,” I clarify. “We’re just friends. Just friends don’t you understand? Like you and me, just friends.”

“Yeah, just friends,” L.Joe chuckles.

“What’s so funny about that?” I ask.

“Oh nothing.”

“I think you’re hiding something from me.”

“I’m not hiding anything from you.”

“I think you are,” I repeat. “If only I could see you then I’d hit you.”

“Then why don’t I come over?” he suggests.

“What are you talking about?” I ask.

“Me coming over to visit you.”

“Is that allowed?” I wonder.

“Why not?"

“Well, this is the Korean Palace,” I say.

“You live there. If you just give the okay then I can visit. I’m pretty sure you need some more comforting than what I can give you across the phone.”

“And what were you planning on giving?” I ask.

“Sophie, were you thinking naughty thoughts?” L.Joe jokes. When I don’t answer for a while, he immediately apologizes. “I’m sorry,” he quickly says. “I didn’t mean it that way.”

“It’s alright,” I tell him. “And no I wasn’t thinking that.”

“Where’s Daehyun?” L.Joe asks slightly changing the subject.

“I…actually don’t know,” I admit. “Wait, why are you asking?”

“Don’t take it the wrong way,” L.Joe says attempting to clear up the situation. “I was just wondering if he was there or not. He probably doesn’t like seeing me with you.”

“Why wouldn’t he?” I ask. “We’re simply friends.”

“You think of each other more than friends, you’re just too shy to admit it.”

“Am not. He’s only my friend, got it? Only,” I say emphasizing the word.

“Whatever you say,” L.Joe says. “If Daehyun is only a friend, then what am I? A friend?”

“You’re a friend. Plus, it would be too weird to be in a relationship with Daehyun, I’ve known him for too long. I don’t like dating someone that I’ve known for too long because I think it’s weird.”

“Then I should take action sooner, huh,” L.Joe says.

“What?” I ask.

“Oh nothing.”

I sigh and look at the clock. “I think I should get to bed,” I announce. “It’s been a long day.”

“Goodnight Sophie.”

“Goodnight L.Joe,” I say before I hang up and wrap myself in blankets.

 

Daehyun’s POV

Jieun and I walk out hand in hand. As soon as we make our way onto the stage, lights start flashing and the clicking of cameras can be heard everywhere. I guess me getting married is a big thing, but if there’s one thing I learned in a measly ten minutes is that I don’t want to get married to Jieun.

Before I thought that it’d be something fine because it’s what my parents want and it’s what the country wants. In the end, it’s not alright. Now she’s threatening me and Sophie. I only have a week, but I have to put a stop to it at all possible costs.

Jieun and I sit down at the long table. There’s a microphone in front of me and one in front of her. I wish there wasn’t one in front of her since I have no idea what she’s going to say. “Um…hello,” I say as I begin. “Thank you all for coming to this announcement at such a short notice.”

“What is this meeting about?” someone asks.

“Well, it’s about the future of the country,” I say while looking at all of the people. I can feel Jieun smiling while looking at me, pretending to be a lovely fiancée isn’t that nice. If only they could see her when the camera is off. “I’m the Prince of Korea and yes I have dyed my hair and have come back after six years.”

“Is the woman next to you your girlfriend?” another asks.

“Not exactly,” I say hesitantly. “The girl next to me is actually my fiancée. We’re going to get married next week.”

Suddenly more camera flashes happen and more people start asking questions. I put my hand up to stop them and they suddenly quiet down until I gesture to one person to ask a question. “Who is the woman sitting next to you?” I look at Jieun and tell her to introduce herself. If I introduce her, there’s no saying what might come out of my mouth.

“My name is Lee Jieun. My parents own a large company in Korea,” she says introducing herself. “Please watch over me well.”

I gesture to another person to ask a question. “Why are you guys getting married so quickly?”

“It’s been in talks for a while,” I smoothly lie. “Our parents have discussed it and they believe that the sooner I get married, the better it will be.”

“Is that the reason why you came back to Korea? To marry Jieun?”

“I came back because I missed home,” I once again lie. “Upon seeing how the arrangement was going, I ultimately decided to stay here for good this time.”

As reporters keep asking questions, I keep answering them, but never do I say that I want this. It’s always a third party involved in almost all of my answers to them. I can only imagine what’s going to happen tomorrow when this gets out. Who knows which students are watching it on the television right now? My life from this point on is ruined.

I can’t marry Jieun. I can’t. She’s a witch and mean and I’m grateful that she’s not the person that I like. I like Sophie. I like her, I like her. I like her so much that I think I love her, but here I am sitting next to Jieun saying that I’m getting married to her. Tomorrow Sophie is going to hear about this, probably by that L.Joe kid, and she’s never going to want to see me again.

My life is now over.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does Jieun know about Sophie? Will Daehyun be able to stop the wedding in a week? Will Daehyun ever be able to confess his feelings for Sophie? Will L.Joe make Sophie realize her feelings for Daehyun? What will Jieun do to keep Sophie away from Daehyun?

 

Here is Chapter 14. Hope you enjoyed :D