Chapter Two: Love at Second Sight

Our Shining Days (with Jake from ENHYPEN)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Miriam sat in her room, alone. In the evening. She laid down on top of her bed and pictured Jake’s face. Her mother, Mrs. Hammington came to her room.

“I take it your first day of school didn’t turn out as well as you thought it would?”

“It was insane!” said Miriam, “And don’t get me started on this one boy I saw. I first saw him during the welcome ceremony, and during my first class, he sat right next to me. And we made eye contact for a long time. And then, at the end of the day, he goes in this black and very expensive car with six other boys and then…he smiles and looks at me warmly. Before he is suddenly pulled in and drives away.”

“Seems to me that your crush on Jake Shim has turned into an obsession.” said Mrs. Hammington, sarcastically.

“I am not obsessed,” said Miriam, “But how am I to control it? I mean, no one can control what they feel these days! It’s just stupid!”

“I get it. I would feel this way all of the time when I first met your father.”

“I miss him.”

“I do too. But time can be a cruel master, and a thief at some point. However, it has its good points too. He does not always have to be that bad.”

“We can’t do much now, can we?”

“Maybe this weekend we can figure out something for us to do. Rest well, there is more to come tomorrow. Who knows! Maybe you’ll get a chance to date Jake.”

“Mom!”

Mrs. Hammington laughed at her own joke and Miriam reacting to it. She then laid down and fell asleep.

Suddenly, she heard a knock. She then went downstairs and looked out her door, which is blurred from the colored glass. She took a deep breath and slowly turned the handle of the door, opening it in mid speed. And there stood Jake Shim, standing outside her front door.

“Hey.” he said, softly.

But Miriam was overcome with euphoria. Her face was covered in red. She stood there in silence, looking at him with her eyes wide open, not knowing what else to do.

“W-what b-b-brings you h-h-h-here??” she said as she stammered.

“Well…” said Jake, with his hands behind his back, “Are you requesting assistance?”

“Me?”

“Yes…”

“Um…uh…well…I…no…not really.”

As he raised an eyebrow, Jake said, “Well, if you don’t need any assistance…then I guess you won’t want a kiss before I go.”

“A kiss?” Miriam asked, backing away.

“Like this.”

As she almost kissed him, she heard a voice echo from the room next door.

“Miriam!”

Miriam woke up from her sleep in a gasp. She then recognized the voice of her mother. She knew that it was all just a dream.

Please log in to read the full chapter