Chapter One: New Girl, Not an Aussie

Our Shining Days (with Jake from ENHYPEN)
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was another day at school. Miriam Hammington was entering through the gates of the most expensive school in Queensland, Australia.

"Well," she said, "Here goes nothing."

She felt out of place for some odd reason. She could not help it. Many of the other students came from wealthy families and were likely much more advanced academically than she.

But how was Miriam going to fit it? Would she make friends? Would she be able to keep up with her classes? She was determined to make it work, however difficult it may be. After all, this was only her chance to make the best of it, and get a better education.

It was the assembly. Miriam sat still, listening to the director of students, or in other words, the school principal, give his welcoming speech. While she was trying to pay attention, she could not help but notice a boy who caught her eye. He was tall and handsome, with dark hair and bright eyes. She didn't know who he was, but there was something about him that made her curious.

After the assembly ended and everyone started to get up from their seats, Miriam noticed the boy heading out of the auditorium and decided to follow him.

Miriam followed him out the auditorium and saw him meet up with a group of his friends. She then stood off to the side, trying not to draw attention to herself as she watched them interact. The young boy seemed to be joking around and having fun with his friends, laughing and talking loudly. Miriam felt like an outsider as she watched them from afar. She was wondering if she should try to introduce herself or if it would be better to leave them alone.

Frustrated and disappointed after watching the boy interact with his friends, Miriam thought about approaching him and introducing herself, but she did not want to intrude on their conversation.

Instead, she decided to walk away and find somewhere else to go.

Miriam walked through the school gardens, feeling down and alone. As she walked, she saw a group of girls who were laughing and having fun together. They all seemed so happy and perky, but Miriam felt a pang of jealousy of their cheerfulness. She knew that they were all from wealthy families and had probably never struggled in life like she had. She felt like an outsider as she watched them from afar, wondering what it would be like to fit in with them.

"I guess they are just here to be...show-offs! Like the girls I would see on the telly. And I think they are more interested in their wealth rather than their education."

As she walked, Miriam made her way back towards the classroom where her first class was. She felt perplexed, nervous, and felt a rush of anxiety. Her mood was even worse after seeing the group of girls.

Miriam walked in and took a seat, utterly not feeling her best.

This is not fair, she thought, putting her head down on her desk, I know I come from a different background and I am in a lower class, but that does not mean that I don't want to belong. I know I do! I went through so much effort to enter this prestigious school and you are all making me think that I don't belong!

Miriam wondered if things would get better, or would she feel like

Please log in to read the full chapter