Distraction

10 Rules
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♫ Synchronice - Distraction


 

“It was exactly what I wanted-beautiful distraction.”

Maggie Stiefvater


 

Oh? Someone is sitting there? Usually no one sits there during this time.

 

Sakura thought to herself as she stared at the girl sitting in her favorite spot in the library. 

 

Sakura knew she could have just found a different spot to sit, but she didn’t want to. That window in the corner of the third floor was a special place for her. She’s been studying in that spot ever since she’s been accepted into medical school. It was a window that had a clear view and a good angle of the large cherry blossom tree in the middle of the courtyard. Even after the cherry blossoms had all fallen, she enjoyed the view. It was a place where she stressed but also really enjoyed and helped her de-stress throughout the years. It’s always been empty whenever she goes to study, but this time, this stranger showed up and took her spot.

 

Maybe she’ll leave soon.

 

Sakura thought as she sighed heavily before deciding to find another spot. She looked around, but other seats around her were already occupied. Just as she was going to make her way down a floor, a seat opened up in front of her. Sakura preferred a chair and table instead of just a couch, but this would have to do for now. Plus it was right across from her spot, so if the girl moved, Sakura can just quickly move to her usual spot. 

 

Sakura sat down and began pulling out her books and notes. As she was studying, she lost track of the time. Sakura removed her eyes from her book and looked out the closest window to her and saw that the sky was getting dark.

 

It’s already this late?

 

Sakura thought as she looked at her watch and stood up. She stretched her stiff limbs and looked around the library. The floor was basically empty, but something caught her attention. She looked at her favorite spot, and that same girl was still sitting there.

 

“I guess she was there this whole time.” Sakura quietly said to herself.

 

Suddenly, the girl stood up and pushed in her chair. As the girl was about to walk towards the stairs, the girl made eye contact with Sakura. The girl stopped for a moment and gave a shy smile and nod to Sakura. Sakura also gave a quick smile before the girl continued and left without a word.

 

Strange...

 

Sakura thought before packing up her stuff too and leaving for the day.

 

This continued for the next few days. The same girl showed up at the same time and same place every day. No matter how fast Sakura walked or ran after her class was over, the girl was there before her. 

 

•~•

 

“What? You don’t have it?” Sakura asked, desperate.

 

“Sorry, all of the copies we had of that book are all checked out.” The student helper at the counter replied.

 

“The last copy was just checked out about an hour ago.”

 

“But I need that for research on my thesis.”

 

“I’m sorry, I can’t do anything. A lot of the students from Sashihara Sensei’s class needed it for some project. Maybe you can look at nearby bookstores or online. There might be one available.”

 

“I’m kind of tight on money right now, and the ones online are expensive. Even if I rent them.” Sakura said, dejected.

 

“If you want, I can let you know as soon as one is available.” The helper said, feeling bad for Sakura.

 

“No it’s okay. I think that project is Sashihara Sensei’s final. It’ll be too late by then. Thanks for the help anyway though. I’ll figure something out on my own.” She added as she began walking away.

 

She climbed the two flights of stairs and made her way towards her favorite spot, but without fail, the girl was there again. 

 

I really can’t catch a break can I?

 

Sakura was already frustrated and thought she’d be able to relieve her stress, but that wasn’t going to happen. And again, the only spot open was the couch in front of the girl. Sakura took a deep breath before defeatingly making her way towards the couch. As she was about to sit down, something caught her attention. Her eyes widened as she saw the book she needed to check out on the table in front of the girl. 

 

“What are the coincidences?” Sakura whispered to herself as she sat down.

 

Sakura could not believe her luck. She doesn’t even know if she should consider it good or bad, but she desperately needs the book and it was in front of her.”

 

Maybe I can ask her if I can borrow it for a few days, if she doesn’t really need it. I’ll ask her before the end of the day.

 

Sakura thought as she pulled out her notes, but kept an eye on the girl. However, as more time passed and the more she looked at the girl, she got more frustrated.

 

Why is she not reading it!?

 

An hour had passed, but the girl did nothing except stare out the window. Sakura couldn’t understand why someone would check out a book and not use it. There were others who desperately needed it more than that girl right now and Sakura was one of them. But the more Sakura thought about the girl’s behavior, the more strange things she started to notice. She noticed that all this girl did everyday was stare out the window. It was also strange that she didn’t carry a backpack with her, or even a notebook or pen. She basically had nothing with her.

 

Is something wrong with her? Is she someone who just likes to hangout on campus? Is she even a student?

 

Sakura had all sorts of questions wandering around her head, but she couldn’t let them wander anymore. She desperately needs that book, and since the girl was not using it at the moment, this was her chance. Sakura stood up and made her way towards the girl.

 

“Excuse me.” Sakura said, but there was no reply.

 

Sakura tried a few more times but still, she got nothing.

 

Is she hearing impaired? I didn’t see anything hanging or in her ears before, and there’s nothing else to indicate she is, so I don't think she is.

 

Sakura decided to try to get the girl's attention again. She cleared loudly before calling for the girl again.

 

“Excuse me!” Sakura said louder.

 

“Huh?!” The girl said, startled.

 

“Ah, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you. You just weren’t answering me earlier when I called for you.” Sakura replied, surprised at the girl’s reaction.

 

“Oh I’m sorry.” The girl looked flustered.

 

“When I’m focused on something, I tend to not pay attention to my surroundings.”

 

“No, you’re okay. I do that sometimes too.” Sakura empathized.

 

“Is there something I can help you with?” The girl asked.

 

Sakura bit her lower lip, a bit nervous to ask.

 

This girl seems nice, so maybe she won’t say no.

 

“Umm, I noticed you have this book.” Sakura said as she pointed to it.

 

“All of the copies in the library are checked out and I kind of need-”

 

“Sure!” 

 

The girl answered before Sakura could finish her sentence, causing her to become a little flustered.

 

“B-but I didn’t even finish telling you what I needed it for.”

 

“What else would you need this book for other than for research or some project.” The girl said with a smile.

 

“Go ahead, take it.” The girl added as she handed Sakura the book.

 

“Thanks a lot! You really saved me!” Sakura happily replied.

 

Before Sakura

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter