Bae Joohyun, 1920

Chronicle

1920

Growing up, she had lived with dreams, visions, haunting her at night. Some were pleasant, with her laughing, looking out into the pond, sometimes, walking through a garden all while holding on to his hand. 

 

His hands, as she remembers, were warm. So warm, that even in her waking hours her heart is filled with bliss. They were soft and would hold her cheeks to keep her warm from the chills of winter.

 

Most nights though, like tonight, she found herself swimming in the depth of her emotions upon waking.  

 

In her dream, she watch as two kids wander around the palace. They played hide and seek with the palace attendants. 

 

The young boy, mischievous as he is, took the little girl’s hand and ran away with her. Up they climbed the gates, running higher through a hill where a little pagoda stood. The view up is stunning. Up there, it was quiet, with only the sound of abundant trees dancing through the air.

 

They stayed there in hiding until the dark of night.

 

“Your majesty!” At that moment it finally hit her, made her realize just who the young boy was. She watched as the entire palace went into chaos in search of the young prince. Joohyun is worried for the kids, but they were just kids

 

The kids did not hear anything from up above. They are lost in their own world. Time stands still for the both of them. They watch as the stars go multiply up in the dark blue sky. 

 

In their innocence, the kids fondly stare at each other in the dark. The young prince held her hand, lacing their little fingers together. “Let me tell you a secret.” giggling through her ears, tickling her. “My name is Minho.” 

 

The little girl stood in surprise “Your majesty!”

 

The little boy stumped his feet back at her. “UHUH! I told you to call me by my name!”

 

Both kids blush as they giggle their way back down to the palace.

 

That was the first time she heard his name.