Chapter 9

Black Swan (Vampire AU)

"Tzuyu, I don't know what you're into," Tzuyu feels Dahyun's spite over the line.

It's past 9 in the evening. The moon was shining blindingly so, a starkly glowing orb against the dark skies.

Tzuyu knew Dahyun would figure it out, albeit a beat too long, but she was thankful for that. Atleast the stirring turmoil in her chest was postponed, atleast for a few hours.

"...but I swear to whichever god, if you ever put Chaeyoung in harm's way I won't think twice in ending you."

Dahyun's words were so sincere, her fury seeped into Tzuyu's bones and deep in her body, it almost made her shiver.

"I won't. I love Chaeyoung as much as you do. And I know what I am doing. Jeongyeon permitted to it, too." Tzuyu continues to stare at the moon through the windows.

"I still don't trust you." Dahyun says after a few seconds and Tzuyu sighs.

"We don't have to trust each other. You'll just do whatever I say and we'll get Jeongyeon out of here." Tzuyu didn't wait for Dahyun's reply and just ended the call.

She puts her phone down somewhere over her desk and threw herself on her wide bed.

She runs through the plan in her head.

It was almost foolproof, the half of it was already set.

The plan was perfect, she just have to put the pawns carefully in their place.

Momo still hadn't showed up, and she's not anywhere in the mansion these past few days.

She'll show up. Tzuyu thinks, it was already in her visions. The Oracle tells her Momo would show up.

She lays flat on her back, arms and legs sprawled out over the velvet sheets, just like when she was young and didn't want to be tucked in by her parents because she either wasn't sleepy or she wants to sleep with her parents in the other room, not that vampires needed sleep anyway.

And it was a long time ago.

As she lies awake, she realizes she had forgotten how to be child. She always had it hard since she was younger.

When her grandmother died and her parents separated, she was forced to do everything on her own.

She was forced to study more than a vampire kid would.

It wasn't hard for Tzuyu, she likes to study, and she was very smart.

And in all the years of studying, she stumbled upon an old book that activated a magic. And to Tzuyu, it was the Oracle's magic.

She started to expedite her magic secretly, without anyone knowing. It was then she looked like 16 human years that she had mastered it and since then, Tzuyu was never the same.

One could say she already knew what twists and turns in her life would be.

Some said she was wise beyond her years, just a few decades from her birth but already surpasses some of the oldest cloven elders in their magic.

Her grandfather was so pleased with her that she granted her request to study in other vampire cloven all around the world.

And Tzuyu was relieved, and the first time she was happy since went down.

She was happy to get to study as much as she wanted to, and she was happy to get away from this hellhole.

Sana didn't as much as look at her since Jeongyeon left. But she sees her smile at her and suddenly, happiness was a very strange emotion for Tzuyu.

Tzuyu studied overseas for quite some time. She read all of the available books, conducted experiments for leisure until she nearly went mad for all the information.

That's when she met Chaeyoung for the second time.

The moment their skins touched accidentally on that fateful day, the Oracle within her stirred and showed Tzuyu all of the universe in a dizzying amount of time.

She was then very invested with the girl, hanging out around her and her best friend Dahyun whenever.

Until her interest turned into something more.

Until Chaeyoung slowly sneaked in and took comfort in the empty spot under Tzuyu's ribcage.

Because Chaeyoung was warm and full of life.

And maybe it was the warmth Tzuyu craved for.

Tears stream down on Tzuyu's cheeks, wetting some of her hair and parts of the sheets beneath her face.

She sobs, not for the first time for Chaeyoung.

And not for the first time she promises that she'll protect Chaeyoung even if it costs her everything.

-

"What do I do?" Momo's voice slices through the afternoon's quiet atmosphere.

Tzuyu knew she'd come. It was in her visions, but it wasn't inevitable.

And what more easier way to lure Momo in than to show her Sana's involvement in the plan.

Tzuyu showed her Sana. Momo being with Sana. No Jeongyeon, no Tzuyu. Just Momo and Sana.

"I'm letting you know that I won't take orders from you. I will do as you say just for Sana's interest. The second it strays away, I'm out and I'm taking Sana."

Tzuyu sips her tea.

"I didn't take you as a talker." She says softly. "But don't worry, Sana's out of the loop. Both of you just needs to be there."

Tzuyu looks back over her shoulder. "Thank you for helping Jeongyeon out." She manages to tease the dark-haired vampire.

"I'm not helping her out-" 

"You just want Sana to yourself, I get it."

Momo sighs. "I won't say I don't like the idea but I kind of owe her my life, you know?"

Tzuyu hums and looks out of the same window she watched last night.

Tzuyu and Momo had some sort of a strange relationship.

They weren't close enough to be friends but they weren't strangers either. But Tzuyu liked to think that Momo sometimes looks out for her.

Back when she was overseas, Momo would eventually show up in every city and disappears just as fast.

Though Tzuyu gets a hint that Momo may be instructed to keep an eye on her by her other mother, she always liked to think that Momo does this out of initiative.

She feels less tiptoeing around Momo anyway. But still, she can't trust her.

"A storm is brewing." Tzuyu says quietly as the skies turns grey and a distant grumble of it reverbrates on the floors of the mansion.

"I see that." Tzuyu doesn't look back but she can tell that Momo was looking directly at her.

-

"Nayeon, I swear, if you don't get down from the couch-"

"Could you guys keep it down for a sec? Thank you." Mina was at Jihyo's apartment since last night to study for their final exams.

While Jihyo and her had similar subjects, Nayeon promised to just 'chill' around Jihyo's place while they study.

Unlike Mina, Nayeon has a very laid-back personality. She's an airhead and a dork but she wasn't dumb, in fact she even admits to having a bad habit of just scanning her seatmates' notes a few minutes before an exam but still manages to pass all of her subjects.

She says she 'forgets like an elephant' (but still manages to interchange her exes' names, the usual playgirl) so all she does is to 'refresh' her memories of the lectures. And Mina finds it fetching.

But when Nayeon and Jihyo started to whisper-scream after her sudden outburst of keeping them quiet, Mina starts to regret having visiting Jihyo's place to study.

"Shut up-"

"You shut up!"

"You know I can still hear you even if you do it like that." Mina sighs and gives up. She leans backward on the foot of Jihyo's couch and massaged her calves.

"Sorry." Nayeon and Jihyo says in unison.

"Jinx-"

"Jinx aga-"

"Jihyo, I love you, you're my best friend. And I'm so happy that you get to be this happy but if you could just tone it down a little. It's hell week, for 's sake."

Jihyo bonked Nayeon on the head when she snickers.

"Why didn't YOU bring Jeongyeon along?" Nayeon grumbled as she nurses her head.

Mina stopped her pen midway in writing. There was a pang in her chest at Nayeon's statement.

The name Jeongyeon sounded awfully familiar.

Jihyo noticed Mina zoning out, boring holes on her coffee table.

"Baby, who was that? Was it your ex or something?" Jihyo nervously laughs as she darts her eyes back and forth to Mina and Nayeon, trying to gauge Mina's reaction.

Jihyo knows what happens when Mina gets this kind of serious face.

"Jeongyeon! Her girlfriend!" Nayeon said unintentionally and scandalously loud. Jihyo gave her a puzzled look.

Nayeon's eyes widened as she covered with her fingers. "Did they break up?" Nayeon whispers to Jihyo.

Jihyo doesn't even know who the Jeongyeon is. But seeing Mina gripping her pen so tightly, she knows she needs to talk to her bestfriend about it.

"Nayeon, go home. You can come back later." Jihyo says to Nayeon softly. To Jihyo's relief, Nayeon didn't argue. She swiftly stood up and mouthed an 'I'm sorry' before she left.

"Mina? Your pen might break." Jihyo rubs Mina's hand soothingly.

Mina snaps out of her zone. "Sorry."

"You want to talk about it?" Jihyo says ever so carefully, like Mina would break if she didn't do it right.

"Ji, I feel really, relly weird." Jihyo rubs Mina's back as the girl started to tear up.

"Why do I feel like crying?" Mina said as she started sobbing. Jihyo immediately locked her bestfriend in a hug, traces ckmforting circles on the younger girl's back and whispering 'it's ok' couple of times.

Jihyo thinks it's weird as well. Mina had never mentioned any Jeongyeon to her, considering she's the only friend Mina's opening up to until now. But she feels Mina's pain and she doesn't know whar to do with it.

Jihyo decided not to push it and let Mina cry away on her shoulder until she gets tired.

When Mina calms down, Jihyo gets a glass of water for her bestfriend to drink.

Mina sips on the water and stares at the water.

"I'm so emotional these days. I even go to places I haven't been before. This one time I found myself in front of an apartment building and almost wanted to go in. It strangely felt like home. Like my feet would take me there by default."

Jihyo doesn't talk and let Mina say all she wants to say. And Mina was somehow thankful for that, so she continued.

"I also find myself up until 3am like I was waiting for someone to come through the window. It's strange."

Jihyo notices Mina smile as if she was revisiting a fond memory, then her eyebrows furrowed. She suddenly locks her temples between her palms.

"Ow," Mina grumbles.

"You need sleep. Go on." Jihyo pats her bestfriend's shoulder concernedly.

"Yeah, I didn't get to sleep last night. You two were so loud." Mina ditched a flustered Jihyo and locked her our of her own room.

She didn't want to lounge on the bed but she had no choice, except for the floor. So she lies on the bed, and disregarded the unholy stains on the sheets.

She needed some peace and quiet but her thoughts were too loud.

She's positive that she's only heard the name 'Jeongyeon' once but the tickling turmoil in her stomach and her heavy  chest...

Jeongyeon.

She repeats the name in her head, searching every drawer for information.

When she thinks she's getting to it, her mind suddenly goes blank.

She tries again, and again, blank.

Her eyes sting and her head throbbed. A sane Mina will think that it's illogical to be positively crying for a person you don't know.

Mina bites her knuckles to subdue her sobs. What was wrong with her? 

And now the ing name doesn't cease to pop into her mind.

She feels a hole burn through her chest whenever the name enters her brain.

Jeongyeon..

Yoo.. Jeongyeon..?

She suddenly remembers a hand on her waist, strong arms enveloping her as she sleeps, the warmest smile, the feeling of being safe and secure... but who's face was it?

Why does everything seem so blurry?

Like it was just everything and nothing at all.

Mina tries to remember everything, but for the last time, blank.

This time, Mina cries until she passes out.