Chapter 23

Rose Golden (Vkook)

It was hell.

The stares, the whispering, the targeting aura. But Taehyung wasn’t expecting any less. Their relationship had been public for about a week. Everyone at his school caught on really quickly and a lot of people didn’t know how to take it.

They were surprised Jungkook was gay and a lot of them looked at Taehyung as an enemy, as if it was his fault that he was that way. The only people that truly accepted them without judgement were their close friends. Taehyung was happy that Jimin and Jin were so comfortable, because that meant they would stay by Jungkook’s side and not leave him like he was afraid of.

“You two, you two are really dating?” Hoseok asked in shock. He looked caught off guard and it was kind of embarrassing.

Taehyung gave a small smile and nodded.

“But I thought you hated him,” He said.

“Yeah I thought that too, but stuff happens right? Things change. Trust me, I never thought I’d be telling you guys this.”

Yoongi gave him a wary look, he wasn’t as quick to say anything like Hoseok was. Taehyung glanced at him.

“Are you not scared?” He asked. “I’ve already heard so many rumours about you Tae, people are not happy with this. They’re going to end up targeting you-”

“Then I guess I’ll just have to fight back yeah?”

Yoongi blinked.

“I know I’m going to get hurt, but I don’t care.” Taehyung said. “I really, really like him.”

He didn’t say anything back but Hoseok slugged him in the arm. “Hey lighten up, I know what you’re thinking but don’t worry about it alright? We need to just be happy for him, and if anything happens we’ll protect him OK? That’s what we’re here for.”

“Right.” Yoongi said softly, but he still sounded unconvinced.

Taehyung had his doubts too. He already knew things weren’t going to be easy, just standing there in his school hallway alone already made him feel like a shooting target. Although there was more to the potential downfalls of their relationship than just acceptance amongst his peers. His parents were associated with big companies and people, and they still had yet to hear the news. Once it spread to them, Taehyung didn’t know what would happen or how they would handle it. He really didn’t want to think about it, but he knew eventually he’d have to face his demons.

It’d only be matter of time.

They hadn’t seen each other since the party where he completely made a fool of himself in front of everyone. So what would their reaction be when they found out he was dating their son? Taehyung pushed the thought away and immediately felt relieved when he saw Yuna coming down the hall, smiling sweetly.

“Hey guys,” She greeted Hoseok and Yoongi happily.

“Hey,” They smiled.

Yuna looked at him. “Are you ready to go?”

Taehyung nodded at her. She’d never lost faith in him since the first day she found out about their relationship. Yuna was the most supportive out of everyone, even if it hurt to see them together, she still always had a big smile on her face that gave Taehyung strength and hope. He’d never been more grateful to have someone like her by his side.

He glanced back at Yoongi and Hoseok. “I’ll see you guys OK,”

Hobi grinned and Yoongi gave him a quick nod, still looking worried. He understood why Yoongi was so scared, they’d been friends for a long time and he was probably nervous that Taehyung would get hurt. But it was inevitable, he just really needed him to be by his side for support. As long as Yoongi was strong and optimistic like Hobi, he could feel strong too.

They walked out of the school together, Yuna talking about her day and Taehyung listening closely. He didn’t miss that she’d completely avoided saying anything about him and Jungkook. People were probably targeting her even more now that she no longer had him and they thought it was his fault. But just like she protected him, Taehyung would continue to protect her no matter what-

He stopped.

A lump rose in his throat when he saw his car. The windshield was covered all over with yellow egg yolk and white shells.

Taehyung was about to move to clean it off unwillingly, but Yuna stalked forward and wiped the mess off angrily with her hands. She glared around the parking lot at the few students lingering around. “If any of you have a problem with me or my brother! You can come say it to our face and stop being a damn pathetic coward!”

They turned away from her and she crossed her arms in a huff. “That’s right, I didn’t think so.”

“Thank you,” Taehyung whispered as he managed to push himself forward. He knew that that would only be the beginning of the relentless attacks, but as long as he had Yuna he’d be able to get through it.

They drove home in comfortable silence, felt almost like the calm before the storm. Taehyung couldn’t help but think about how much they’d both been through. He couldn’t believe that in less than a month he’d be out of high school and moving onto the next step of his life.

He gripped the steering wheel. Just a few months ago that thought would have felt amazing to him, just being in school and studying to get forward would have made him feel content. But now, he was worried about leaving Yuna behind in school alone, and what would become of his and Jungkook’s relationship once they graduated.

He knew they’d most likely stay together, but they wouldn’t be going to the same universities, they’d want to do different things. So would that mean they’d have to suffer through a long distance relationship? Just when they got together, they’d have to split apart.

Taehyung bit his lip. No, he wouldn’t have any doubts just yet, they’d make it work somehow.

When they arrived home, Yuna went inside to sleep but Taehyung hung behind in the car and watched her go in carefully. He leaned back in his seat and sighed, pulling out his phone. It felt like there was a tornado inside of his mind. He wanted to call Jungkook, but for some reason something was stopping him. What was it though? He couldn’t pinpoint the feeling-

Was it fear?

Taehyung’s heart dropped; what was he so afraid of?

He jumped when his phone started ringing.

It was Jungkook.

He answered quickly. “Hello?”

“Hey,” He replied softly.

“Are you OK?”

“Yeah, I just wanted to hear your voice.”

Taehyung’s heartbeat picked up. “O-OK,”

“Can you come over for a sec,” Jungkook’s voice was soft but hesitant. “I wanna talk to you,”

He didn’t like the sound of those words, but he decided not to take it too seriously. “OK, I’ll be there soon.”

“Alright, see you.”

Jungkook hung up and he was left in eery silence.

Taehyung texted Yuna that he was going to be over at his place for a bit, but he’d come back soon. He drove with a clouded conscious, knowing that whatever Jungkook wanted to talk to him about wasn’t good. Or was he just conditioned to believe that nothing in his life ever lasted forever?

But he was only conditioned because it was true.

Taehyung parked and ran a hand through his hair as he walked towards the door. He knocked carefully and it suddenly swung open a few seconds later.

His heart stopped.

It was Jungkook’s dad.

He was face to face with his demons already.

What was going on?

“Come in,” His voice sounded hard.

Taehyung could feel himself shaking. Did Jungkook know they were home? But why would he invite him over like this without a warning?

His dad’s steel gaze was set on Taehyung as he walked inside slowly and removed his shoes. He didn’t look presentable at all, and he was exhausted too. This was the worst time for this. Minjun led him towards the living room and he followed behind warily.

Taehyung was speechless when he saw Jungkook sitting nervously on the couch and Hana sitting in another chair, looking glamorous but also intimidating at the same time. She sipped on a glass of wine and stared at Taehyung over the rim as he walked in.

He could feel it, as soon as he walked into that room he knew it was all over. 

But why did it have to be? Didn’t he just promise that he’d never let go of Jungkook no matter what? He’d spoke that into existence, but everything changed so suddenly and now he didn’t know what to promise or think. If his parents wouldn’t accept them; then what would they do?

Taehyung sat down slowly beside Jungkook without instruction, facing Hana and Minjun who sat down as well.

It was quiet but extremely tense. He felt horrible because it was almost like he was tricked into coming here. If they really manipulated Jungkook like that to call him and pretend like he was alone; what exactly were they planning?

“So, Taehyung right?” Hana spoke up then, lowering her glass.

“Yes,” He croaked.

“I’ve recently heard a little rumour,” Her voice was too calm, it made him feel unsettled. “Is it true that you’re really involved in that way with my son?”

Taehyung squeezed his hands together. “In what way exactly?”

Minjun gave him a stern look. “Do you think this is the time to make jokes?”

“I-I wasn’t-”

Jungkook put his hand on his. “Whatever rumor you heard is true. I could have just confirmed it for you if you asked, bringing him down here was unnecessary.”

“And why wouldn’t you want us to see him face to face?” Hana tilted her head. “Are you that embarrassed of him?”

“You know that’s not what I meant-”

“Do you think it’s OK to hide these kinds of things from your parents?” She quickly interrupted him.

Jungkook let out a long breath. “I was going to tell you eventually-”

“When? When everyone found out? When all of this made an uncleanable mess? When exactly were you going to tell us Jungkook?”

He gave her a hard glare.

“The fact that I have to find out from someone else that my own son is gay, is such an indescribable feeling.” She shook her head. “It’s embarrassing and pathetic actually, made me look like a fool. To think we raised our only sane son to be in love with men. I guess leaving you on your own for all of these years wasn’t such a good idea was it? Did you get that bored? To the point where you would pleasure yourself by fraternizing with men?”

“I wasn’t bored,” Jungkook said shortly. “This is just who I am.”

“What happened to the beautiful girl you brought to my premiere a few weeks ago?” Minjun spoke up. “She would have been the perfect person for you to settle down with, but instead you choose him? He embarrassed me in front of my colleagues with his disgusting and uncivil ways, and this is the person you choose to be involved with? What has gotten into you?”

Jungkook shook his head. “I shouldn’t have to explain myself to you two and I won’t. This is what I want, so either you like it or you leave it.”

Hana chuckled. “It’s funny that you really think you have a choice.”

He frowned at her. “What are you talking about?”

“I didn’t call you two down here to start a fight, I’ve come to set a few things straight that will hopefully bring you both back down to reality.” She gave her long black hair a short flip. “You’re graduating soon and your father and I are starting to become more booked with schedules and activities. That means we won’t be able to be in Korea for too long, enough to even visit for long periods of time. But we’ve decided that it’s clearly too unsafe to leave you here on your own anymore, so we’re bringing you to America with us and you’ll attend a nice university there.”

Taehyung’s heart plummeted and he looked in shock at Jungkook. He was staring at her with wide eyes.

“Y-You can’t do this,”

“Oh but I can, because I’m your mother and I know what’s best for you.” She gave Taehyung a dirty look. “Clearly this environment is too toxic for you, so you need to be cleansed somewhere else. This is what both me and your father decided, and we’ll hear no arguments from you. We will not have another one of our sons turn to hell. We won’t let you throw your whole life and our reputations away for some foolish, sinful love over a boy who comes from nothing established or worthy.”

Jungkook trembled. “Y-You’re just doing this so I can’t be with him-”

“Correct, but I’m also doing it because it’s the right thing to do. After you both graduate, did you really think this little play would last forever? You’d have to go your separate ways eventually for the better, might as well accept my help and do it now for your own sake.” She said simply.

Taehyung looked down. Only a little while ago, he was thinking the exact same thing and now the truth was crashing down on him. Things were bound to end up this way eventually, but it being this early crushed his soul.

They’d just gotten together, they were finally happy; why was this happening so soon?

“I’m not doing it.” Jungkook spit. “You can drag me out of here by my teeth, but I’m not coming with you.”

“This isn’t up for argument.” Minjun said then. “This is the only logical decision and you’ll come with us whether you like it or not.”

He stood up suddenly. “ you!”

“Excuse me-”

Jungkook grabbed his hand again and tugged him forward. They careened out of the house and ran towards his car.

“Hey!” Minjun shouted furiously.

“Please, drive quickly please,” Jungkook begged.

Taehyung’s hands shook as fumbled with his keys to start the engine. Minjun ran towards them and pounded angrily on the glass, but he ignored him and reversed backwards abruptly, speeding down the road.

He drove blindly for what it felt like years, the tornado in his head spiralling into the outside world like a collision. Everything felt like it was unravelling. Whatever built up between them was tumbling down right before their eyes.

They were being forced apart again.

What did that mean in the end?

Was the universe wrong? Were they even meant to be together?

Tears pricked Taehyung’s eyes and he slowed down his speed, turning into a parking lot off to the side of the road. 

The sickening adrenaline started to diffuse and he held his breath, turning off the engine.

“I-I’m sorry,” Jungkook put his hands on his face. “I should have kept you away from them, but they found out and I was so scared, I didn’t know what to do. I-I should have known they would try something like this,”

“Sh, it’s OK,” He leaned over and hugged him. “It’s not your fault-”

“Yes it is!” Jungkook shouted suddenly. “Everything is my fault, we can’t be with each other in peace because of me! My brother, my parents, everyone else; it’s all my fault.”

Taehyung pulled back slightly and pressed his forehead against his. He closed his eyes. “Then maybe they’re trying to tell us something,”

“What?”

“That this is not the right time for us to be together.” He whispered.

“What are you talking about-” Jungkook pulled back.

Taehyung looked away from him. “We’re strong, we’re not hiding anymore, people know about us and yet here we are again in the same situation. Something always seems to be going wrong, it’s like no matter what we do; we’re just not supposed to be together.”

He jumped when Jungkook slammed his fast against the dash of his car. “A-Are you really giving up that easily on me? Y-You told me that you’d protect me, you’d never leave me alone no matter what, that you’d be there for me through thick and thin! We’re supposed to fight through this together Taehyung!”

Taehyung clenched his teeth.

“We’ve left each other too many times only to come back together in the end, I’m not doing that again!” He yelled. “I-I’m tired OK? I just want to be with you, that’s it-”

“How can we be together when your parents are forcing us apart!” Taehyung snapped. “There’s only so much we can do Jungkook! We can’t just run away from this because it will never leave us alone! There needs to be a line drawn between our love for each other and reality. This isn’t a movie Jungkook, things can’t just disappear with a wish. After we graduate, we’ll be going our separate ways and facing our own lives and futures. I-I want to be with you, I want to fight for you, but I won’t let you throw your whole ing life away for me and this relationship. Your mother just rubbed salt in the wound and told us the harsh truth.”

“So what is it then? You want me to just go to America and forget everything that we’ve ever been through?” He pressed.

Taehyung closed his eyes. “I-I’m saying just for now, that’s the only thing we can do. Maybe when things get easier we can come back-”

“God do you hear yourself!” Jungkook shouted. “There isn’t any coming back from this Taehyung! Things won’t get easier! Once I leave with them, we’re done! This is it!”

A lump rose in his throat.

“W-We’ve been able to come back from everything else, but this, this is the last straw.” He whispered. “They’re probably going to force me to settle down with someone, to make sure that I don’t come back to you. They’re doing this so that I never see you again!”

Taehyung hung his head. “But are you willing to stay behind in Korea with me? You’ll apply to a different school than I am and we’ll probably never get to see each other anyway. Even if you do have that freedom, your parents would never let you stay here. It’s either you stay and we’re apart and suffering or you leave with them and we’re still apart and suffering.”

“We can make this work-”

“No we can’t Jungkook!” Tears streamed down his cheeks. “We’re trying to force a rock into a space that doesn’t fit. It’s worked before, but it’s not working now.”

Jungkook stared at him. “I-If we keep thinking like this Taehyung, if we keep letting this kind of defeat us and overcome us; we’ll never be together.”

“Well right now, in this very moment; we can’t be together.” He cried. “There’s always a tomorrow, there’s always another day after that. But right now Jungkook, we can’t do this and you know that too. But that doesn’t mean in any way shape or form that I’m giving up on you, I’m just doing what’s right for the both of us.”

“Y-You tell me that you’re not giving up on me, but that’s exactly what you’re doing. hasn’t even gotten that hard yet and you’re already running away Taehyung.” He clenched his teeth. “You were the one person I could trust, now you’re leaving me too.”

“You can think that what I’m doing is wrong, but if we stay together, the only way we’ll be able to escape what your parents have planned is if we run away or something. Is that what you want Jungkook? To run away with me and live this happy, magical fairytale life with no problems or issues? No certainties about our futures? And the only thing that we’ll ever have until the end of our ing life is only each other. Is that the unrealistic life that you want for us?” Taehyung pressed. 

Jungkook didn’t say anything.

“Because if that’s what you want, then you’re asking me to just drop everything for you and I can’t do that. You and I have a life to live, and it does not just revolve around the both of us.” He said softly. “T-There’s only so much we can do until we have to stop, we need to be together on realistic terms-”

“!” Jungkook slammed his fist down again and leaned his forehead against the dash. “Hnng,”

“I-I’m sorry I gave you false hope.” Taehyung whispered.

He started crying hard and Taehyung rubbed his back.

“This isn’t goodbye OK? We have no idea what will happen to us, so I won’t say goodbye to you. I’ll love you no matter what.”

Jungkook sobbed harder.

“Can I see your hand for a sec?” He asked carefully.

He sat up shakily and extended his hand forward. “Let’s make one last memory for a while OK? This is our handshake, remember it for a long time, whenever we see each other again and we can truly, truly be together; we’ll do it again and seal our love.”

Jungkook sniffed and watched closely as Taehyung showed him the handshake.

“Once we press our thumbs together like this, that means our hearts are connected.” Taehyung let go of his hand slowly. “Remember that OK?”

“I-I won’t forget it.”

They drove back to his house. No thoughts, no words, just silence.

Their fates were officially sealed.

Once Taehyung parked, they kissed softly.

The true final parting.

Jungkook didn’t even look at him as he climbed out, just walked out and left.

But Taehyung would remember everything for a long time.

He’d hold onto the rose golden sunset, their kisses, confessions of love. He may have let go of Jungkook for now, but those small things that made them beautiful would be what he treasured forever.

Life had a way of being unexpected.

But everything happened for a reason.