-Interlude II-

Equilibrium

'Jeongie~' Momo sang as she hopped up to the older girl. 

 

'Oh you're done practicing with Mina?' the older girl asked as a pair of arms wrapped around her shoulders. 

 

'Yep. Jihyo is with her now.' Momo rested her chin on Jeongyeon's crown. 

 

'You know, that tornado you made earlier was really cool.' Jeongyeon said as she flipped through the newspapers. 'How you were level headed the whole time and all. That was amazing.'

 

'You too. Chucking those boulders and covering for Mina.' Momo giggled, bringing her head down to rest on the girl's shoulders. 

 

'Say, since we're going to spy on those rebels we might as well start practicing some new moves and tricks. Wanna spar?' 

 

'Sure.'

 

 

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

 

 

A small rock was sent flying with a jab from Jeongyeon and Momo countered with a spear hand strike, stopping the rock and sending it back towards the geokinetic with a jab of wind. 

 

Jeongyeon crouched only to be knocked backwards by an arc of wind she didn't expect. 

 

'Sure know how to catch me by surprise.' Jeongyeon chuckled and kipped herself up, hurling a rock at the girl who nimbly dodged it. With the swipe of her feet, she pushed the ground under Momo's feet to knock her off balance which failed as the girl managed to propel herself off the ground and jump to another spot. 

 

The ground suddenly rumbled and Momo looked up to see the older girl raise her hands, lifting a few slabs of rock into the air and with a few roundhouse kicks, they advanced towards her in quick succession. Momo rolled to her right, dodging the first but the second slab was too close to avoid. Throwing two cross punches to slice the second slab into two with a razor of wind and expanding the small pockets of air in the third slab, making it explode and small rock fragments scattered all over the floor. 

 

'Damn, I love it when you do that.' Jeongyeon grinned as she dusted herself off. 

 

'Why thank you.' Momo smiled as she created a little tornado around herself, blowing off the little pieces of rock that were in her hair and on her clothes. 

 

'What do you suggest we do now? Do you want to take a break and continue or should we do something else?' 

 

'Take a break and continue. We've only been at it for an hour. We could squeeze another hour or two in.' Momo said and frowned. 'Got to be at our best for what's going to come in the future.'

 

'I'm sure everything will be fine. I mean, we done so many missions. We have lots of experience.' Jeongyeon rested her hand on Momo's shoulder. 

 

'I don't know..' her brows furrowed in contempt. 'It just feels.. off. Like this gut feeling you get when something bad is going to happen.' 

 

'Don't worry. Whatever that it is, I'm sure we can handle it. We're not alone. We still have the other academy to help us out if we really are in trouble.' 

 

'I guess so.' 

 


The girls took a ten minute break before taking their positions once again, this time Momo was on the offence. 

 

The aerokinetic started with a rain of air pullets, pelting the wall of earth that Jeongyeon raised for cover. With a heel rake, a wave of air rushed towards Jeongyeon and knocked the girl off her feet. Momo pulled her fist all the way back and released it, sending a scatter shot of air that hit Jeongyeon from both sides and pushed the girl up against the wall.

 

'Damn you're.. never mind it sounds weird.' Jeongyeon shouted as she ducked, barely escaping the bolt of air that hit the metal plate above her head with so much force there was a small dent. 

 

'Who said air was harmless.' Momo smirked as she pushed her palm forward, creating a vortex of air. Jeongyeon kicked up a small pebble sized rock and punched it through the centre of the vortex. Momo, who was way faster, caught the rock projectile in a ball of air and tossed it back at Jeongyeon who turned it into dust. 

 

After going through every routine that she knew, Momo signalled for Jeongyeon to stop and that they were done for the day. 

 

'Look.' Jeongyeon tapped on the little dent in the metal plate.

 

'I did that?' 

 

'Yeah. I'm convinced that air can be used to slice someone clean in half now.' the geokinetic said as she curled her fingers in front of the dent and brought her hand back, smoothening out the dent. 

 

'You still want to have a go with your metal strips?' Momo asked, dabbing at the sweat beads on her forehead.

 

'Are you up for it?' 

 

'We could use the target boards.' 

 

'Then let's do it.' Jeongyeon grinned.

 

Momo flipped all the switches on the control panel, releasing every available target board and grabbing a stopwatch from the drawer before walking back out.

 

Jeongyeon must have come prepared because she was already standing at the shooting area, stack of metal by her sides.

 

'Ready?' Momo's thumb hovered over the start button on the stopwatch.

 

Jeongyeon nodded, raising her fists in front of her. The stack of metal on either side rose into the air and separated into single strips. 

 

'Go.' The rose gold haired girl pressed the button and the strips of metal began cutting through the air and hitting the target boards. The rapid sound of metal embedding into wood echoed around the hall. 

 

The last strip did a loop in the air before striking the human target in the head.

 

'Nice shot Jeong.' Momo walked up to her partner and clapped her on the back. '30 seconds. That's about..' the girl blinked. '0.75 seconds per target!' 

 

'How's that for speedy?' She stretched her arms out and the strips of metal came flying back towards her. She organized them into a pile and lifted them.

 

'Very. Shall we get cleaned up?' Momo asked and walked towards the staircase. 

 

'Yep.' Jeongyeon placed the stack down in the cabinet before entering the stairwell.