-Interlude I-

Equilibrium

Dahyun flew towards the garden where Chaeyoung was most likely to be. The girl loved spending time in the garden and tending to the plants. 

 

She caught sight of the girl squatting by the flower patch and a smile spread across her lips. She glided up to the healer silently and landed gently on a stone tile. 

 

'Training is over?' Chaeyoung asked as she reached out to touch the leaf of a wittering plant with her fingertips. Dahyun hummed and watched as colour returned to the yellowish brown stem and it straightened up. Its yellow leaves became green and in a couple of seconds, it was as healthy and alive as the other plants in the garden. 

 

'It's always magical when you do that.' Dahyun said softly and placed her hands into the pockets of her pants.

 

'Never get tired of it? You've been seeing it almost every other day.' Chaeyoung said and stood up, turning to her lover.

 

'Never will.' Dahyun smiled at the girl who walked over. Dahyun took her right hand out of her pocket and rested it on the girl's waist as she came closer to give her a kiss on the cheek. 

 

Dahyun slid her hand across the girl's waist and brought it down to intertwine her fingers with Chaeyoung's.

 

'What shall we do today?' the blonde asked and swung their hands back and forth as they walked to the main entrance.

 

'How about the art room? I was just there earlier and I finished a painting. I want you to have a look at it.' Chaeyoung grinned, eyes filled with excitement.

 

'Sure, let's go.' Dahyun said. They turned towards the side entrance to the east wing where the art room was. 

 

'You've been working on this for the past two months or so was it?' Dahyun asked as she held the door open for Chaeyoung before slipping in herself. 

 

'Yep. One month, three weeks and two days to be exact. It's pretty huge so I'm surprised that I even managed to get it completed it before schedule.' the younger girl explained as they walked down the hall, sound of their footsteps echoing about. 

 

'Hmm I'm more excited to see it now.' 

 

The girls walked into the art room. It was called a room but it was big enough to be turned into a gallery. Everything was arranged neatly, unlike the stereotypes of how an artist's work place would look like; messy, unorganized and paint all over. 

 

Chaeyoung's haven was the complete opposite - fresh canvases were stacked in the corner of the room, a wooden shelf housed the older paintings, easels were by the corner diagonal to the fresh canvases and there was a sketching light table against a wall beside the easel. There were other paintings hung up around the room on the walls and some were suspended by wires with spotlights shone onto them. 

 

'If you didn't have powers, I'm sure you'll be the next Van Gogh.' Dahyun mused as she looked around for the masterpiece. 

 

'Perhaps. And you could be my curator.' Chaeyoung laughed. 

 

They approached a large canvas with a deep red velvet cloth draped over it. It was as big as the one that hung on the wall right in front of the main entrance so Dahyun guessed it must be to replace that one.

 

'Drumroll please~' Chaeyoung gave a lop sided grin and Dahyun patted her thighs. 

 

At the count of three, the artist removed the cloth to reveal a family portrait of all of them, this time, with Mina. 

 

'Remarkable as usual.' the older girl nodded and walked closer to admire the large painting. 

 

'Oil on canvas hmm?' 

 

'Yep. I was planning on water colour but that would probably drip all over the place and ruin everything below so I decided to use paint instead. The little details were the most time consuming of course but it was worth it.' Chaeyoung said from beside her girlfriend while looking at the canvas. 

 

'Well, we'll just put a frame on that and it's read to be hung up.' 

 

'Yep. I have the measurements. Workshop time?' 

 

'Oh yes. Haven't been in there for quite a while.' 

 

Dahyun led the way down the corridor with Chaeyoung following behind. 

 

The door to the workshop creaked open and they walked in. Dahyun took four planks of wood from the corner and walked to the workbench where Chaeyoung was working. 

 

They began sawing at the wood to shape it into the corners of the frame. They weren't woodcraft experts but they had sufficient knowledge about what they were doing. 

 

Dahyun had just taken the last corner out from the clamp when the short haired girl walked over with a bucket of gold paint and two paintbrushes.

 

'A royal and classy touch for our Victorian styled mansion.' Chaeyoung smiled and handed one paintbrush to Dahyun. 

 

'Do you think you want to dye your hair?' the brown haired girl asked.

 

'Dip dye with bright colours again?' the black haired asked.

 

'Maybe not bright colours.. How about.. Orange?' 

 

'You sure that fits me?' 

 

'Of course. Your skin is pale so there wouldn't be much contrast.' 

 

'If you say so..'

 

Chaeyoung grinned and painted the last before placing the lid back on the tin and packing up the materials. 

 

'Leave this to dry, we'll come back when we're done with your hair.' the younger girl shot Dahyun a cheeky grin. 

 

The short haired girl pulled her partner out of the workshop and towards their rooms. 

 

'Hey Chaeng. You look excited and she.. not so much. What are you up to?' Momo asked as they met in the hallway. 

 

'Giving Dahyun a makeover.' Chaeyoung grinned and glanced over at her hesitant looking girlfriend. 'By the way, could you dry out the frame for us? We just painted them. It's in the workshop.' 

 

'No problem. Go along now.' Momo grinned and playfully saluted them.

 

The pair raced up the stairs and the younger girl shoved Dahyun into her room.

 

'You seem a little too excited for this.' the older furrowed her eyebrows. 

 

‘Relax; I was the one who did the bright dip dyes anyways. You can trust me.' 

 

'Oh I trust you alright..' the girl mumbled under her breath. 

 

The two girls almost tumbled into their shared washroom.

 

'Sit there.' Chaeyoung instructed and kneeled down to get the bleach. 

 

'Put this on.' she tossed a plastic robe at Dahyun who caught it before it could hit her in the face.

 

'Operation time.' Chaeyoung laughed as she stood up with a bottle of bleach and orange hair dye. 

 

Dahyun gulped. Too late for regrets now.