05. Taemin

Giddy

(OST- Hello by SHINee)

“Hey Bomi-sshi,” She looked at me when I called to her. She waved and I gestured for her to come over. “It’s been a while we should catch up.”

She thought for a moment. “Won’t it be awkward Taemin?”

“Um, if you want a coffee I’ll buy you one, please?” That got her more convinced and this was coming from someone who wouldn’t buy gifts for a girl normally.

“What about tomorrow in the staff room after your performance?”

I nodded. “Alright it’s a deal. I’ll keep an eye out for you.”  We parted ways after that. I was sure going to be busy for the next two weeks. The show would start filming next week and I had two more weeks of performances before I finished.

The time came to meet up. I glanced around the area, holding the two Styrofoam coffee cups in my hands. If anyone asked I could easily tell them that it was for my manager hyung and I. Knocking on the door I was relieved when I saw her open it for me.

“Hurry up I’ve been in here for about fifteen minutes. People have been trying to get a glimpse of you so your stylist kept the door shut.”

“Sorry,” I handed one of the cups to her. “I didn’t know what you liked so I got a latte.” She nodded in approval and we sat down in the adjustable chairs.

She had a long sip of her drink. “Your promotion period is rather short,” she commented. “That’s normal for SM artists’ right?”

I nodded. “Yes, the company has pushed back one of my solo songs I composed for the next album. They want me to do better for that Extended Play because they feel it will show my real colours through my music.” That reminded me of a question. “You’re still promoting with Eunji in your solo unit right?”

“We’ve finished the music show appearances.” She began. “But we’re preparing for our comeback which will be after our whole group has returned.”

That was fair enough. The life of an idol was sure a busy one.  There was something I wanted to bring up. “How is Naeun?” She lifted her eyebrows in question. I was making a mess of this. “I mean… It’s been a while since we talked and we’re going to be on the same television show together so…”

“You want to know if she’s thinking about you?”

She saw through that rather quickly so I had no choice but to take back my answer. “No… Actually yes I am.” She made a strange smile. It was as if she wanted to give me a comforting answer but couldn’t. I just waited in my seat, wondering how much more patient I could be.

She placed her cup down. “To be honest we haven’t spoken to each other much since our sub unit debuted. And she’s been filming that drama. Shame the ratings have been low.”

It was not what I wished to hear. But Bomi wasn’t the kind to lie about these things, at least from what I did know about her. It was a pity I had been so busy, I couldn’t watch Naeun’s show even if I wanted to.

 Bomi had a rather questionable gaze on her face. “What is it?” I asked alarmed. What could she want to ask?

“So you must be thinking about her then. For you to ask me if mentions you to us after all this time.”

I held the cup in my hands, one mouthful of coffee left in the bottom. “It’s been five years.” I began. “When you’ve been close with someone and suddenly split… You still wonder whether it could have worked if you had both stayed.”

She reached over the table to pat my hand. “Naeun isn’t the kind to really reveal her true feelings whenever asked. There’s always this wall, her parents would explain it better than I do. Don’t be too sad. I’m sure she still thinks about you, in a bittersweet sort of way.”

The door opened by a staff member asking for me to come onto stage where they would announce the winner. We both stood up and she held her hand out to me. “Well good luck Taemin. You’ve worked hard; I wish you all the best.”

I shook her hand. “Thank you, I guess I’ll see you next week for the opening show.” She smiled and went out. We separated quickly before anyone could get suspicious. As I was going to the stage I suddenly saw the opportunity I had lost.
“Ah, I could have gotten Naeun’s number from her.” I murmured to no one in particular. Come next Tuesday I would be able to ask her then.

Standing at the front with just the MC’s and none of the other SHINee members with me was a strange experience. It was an isolating feel while I was against BTS a group that had debuted five years ago.

“And the winner is… Taemin-sshi congratulations.” The confetti, the screaming, and the bright lights focusing on me made it clear that indeed I was the winner for that night. I was handed a bouquet by the female MC and given the trophy. My hand was shaking as I received the microphone.

“I umm…” My mind was empty. With my planned speech out the window I tried to remain calm and just spoke. “I just wanted to thank everyone for their hard work and support towards this solo album.” I then listed everyone’s names that I could, the choreographer, the backup dancers and not forgetting the fans.

I bowed down in thanks, feeling my eyes glisten but I refused to cry. I had no one else to hide behind if I did. The MC’s took to the front of the stage to say the final greetings as everyone started to bow to me in thanks. I had actually won first place. I had won first place by myself.

 “Alright is camera four ready?” The director was busy at work while the make-up artists were doing the final touches. The audience were starting to be let in slowly, like a flood gate opened gradually. I was in a white shirt and denim vest, blue jeans and green sneakers.  It was that day where the auditions were beginning.

Bomi sat next to me in a yellow dress with white sneakers, a green bow in her hair and her hair in a ponytail. The other judges were dressed simply but with their own styles.

Shin Dongup would MC the auditions and then do the live performance shows with Naeun after the boot camp and we had twelve dancers in our groups. Soon the camera was rolling and our MC was beginning to speak. It soon came time for him to introduce the judges.

“Alright, now we’re going to meet all our judges?” The audience yelled an affirmative yes. He then proceeded to introduce Popping Hyunjoon first who then demonstrated his own moves. Next was Jaewook who had a very slick dance.

“Ok here we have the only female judge in the competition, Bomi-sshi?”

“Yes?” She responded, playing to her charms.

“Can you show the males in the audience girly pop and locking?” Everyone cracked up at this. She got out of her chair. “Music please,” Dongup said stepping back. After she had danced well he focused on me.

I turned my microphone on. “Now Taemin-sshi, you’re going to be a popular judge for this competition right?”

“Ah yes,” I nodded as some girls screamed in response.

“Aren’t you going to show us how Lee Sooman dances?” That joke caused laughter. I got out of my seat. “Music please,” I began to move on stage getting a lot of praise as I bent my limbs and twisted my body.

After I had demonstrated my skills we all shared a little bit about what we were looking for and how they presented their dancing. Soon it was time for the auditions to begin.

Bomi checked the time on her phone and heaved a sigh. We’d been here for about two hours and so far neither I nor Bomi had picked anyone. Hyungjoon sunbae had found some promising contestants and Jaewook snatched up anyone who had potential but there was no one who appealed to me or Bomi yet.

Dongup came over to us before the dancer began. “Taemin and Bomi-sshi how come you haven’t picked anyone? Do you have something against Changwon?”

“No, no,” we both disagreed in unison. I let Bomi speak first. “We’re just being careful, because we don’t know whether the people we pick will be dedicated in their dancing all the way through and it’s a tough process.”
“Ok what about you Taemin?”

“I am just picky.” I honestly said as people laughed. Dongup moved away as the next dancer appeared on stage. My eyes lit up. Glancing to the side I saw Bomi was just as flabbergasted. She was not as tall, but she was slim, long hair that hung down in waves, her gaze peering down. She had on leggings, a white dress appearing as though she was a maiden.

Bomi was the first to break the ice. “Hello, what’s your name how old are you?”

“K-Kang Joonah,” she answered with her head still dipped.  “And I’m twenty years old.”

“Joonah,” I spoke into my microphone. “How long have you been dancing for?”  

“Since I was ten?” We all nodded our heads. Dongup gestured to the music man and they played the music. All of us were in awe as she danced, expressing her feelings through how she extended her body, leapt into the air and dropped to the floor. If you haven’t guessed we are talking about contemporary dancing.

It’s her. I want her on my team.

But as I got up onto the stage I noticed that Jaewook and Hyungjoon were already up there, joining in when and where they could. Bomi followed them and they had a few seconds of performing like sisters. Hurrying to my feet I managed to dance with her just at the end.

“Wow,” Dongup came onto stage with the five of us as the applause started dying down. “You’re in a favourable position with the judges.” She nodded in agreement, still slightly self-conscious despite dancing with her. “So how do you think you went?”

He handed her the microphone. “I think I did ok.”

“Now the rules are that if all the judges join you then the choice to where you go is entirely in your hands. Have you thought about which team you would like to be on?” We became quiet as we waited for her answer.

“Umm, T-Taemin-sshi’s team,” I smiled as there were claps for her. Dongup looked at me; his face amused.

“So Taemin-sshi how do you feel about this decision?”

“Happy,” was what I told them before they laughed. Dongup congratulated us both and made us shake hands. This was good she would be a very dependable dancer in my group and work hard.

I just had to make sure I did one thing. Don’t call her Naeun.

This chapter felt like it dragged a bit. Sorry the likelihood is that in 2 chapters from now they will have reunited again I’ll try to make sure that is the case thanks for being patient.