Tryouts

Tennis (HIATUS)

Chapter 3

 

“Tryouts”

 

“Brother! Wait for me!” I shouted as I was running towards the car.

“What took you so long? And isn’t your tryouts tomorrow? Why are you wearing a tennis dress?” Brother asked.

“I just thought that someone might need me for his practice for his tryouts.” I said.

“Are you talking about- Echizen?”

“Yes~ I don’t like seeing someone practice alone..” I said.

“But- Aren’t you wearing your uniform?”

“Coach said that I don’t need to wear one since I’m not attending classes. Today and Tomorrow are tryouts for the whole day, right?” I said.

“Oh- right.” He nervously answered.

“Why are you nervous?”

“Nothing. And I’m not.”

“I wonder why you drank coffee this morning.” I suspiciously said.

“Oh-” He mumbled.

“I know you didn’t get enough rest last night. Don’t worry, you’ll be okay.” I said.

“Okay. Thank you.”

“Sure thing, brother.”

 

 

            I was walking around the school and I bump to-

“Coach Raina!” I shouted.

“Oh- Nana. I was looking for you” She said.

“Why?”

“You need to meet the members.”

“You mean the Women’s Tennis club members?”

“Yes. The Regulars.”

“Oh, I see- Where are they?”

“Follow me.” She said while walking toward a court.

            I saw them, the regulars. They were 8.I walk towards them and introduced myself.

“Hi! My name is Nana, and I think I’m your new member.” I said.

“She’s your new captain.” Coach said.

            Everybody was shocked. But seconds later they smiled then introduced themselves.

 “Hi! I’m Kahi. And I’m oldest since I’m a senior. And I’m the vice-captain.”

“Hi! I’m Nicole. I’m a junior.”

“Hi! I’m Yoona, and this is my twin, Krystal.”

“Hi! I’m Sooyoung, and I’m a sophomore.”

“Hi! I’m Uee. I’m a junior.”

“Hi! I’m Hara. I’m a sophomore.”

“Hi! I’m Lizzy and I’m a freshman, just like you, captain.”

            I was amazed. Everybody is unique and super fit.

“Uhm- Hi! Nice to meet all of you. But you don’t have to be so formal. I’m just a freshman, after all.” I said.

“You already signed the contract, did you?” Kahi asked.

“Uhm- yeah. Coach let me signed it. Why?” I replied, confused.

“That’s great! Only the regulars can sign it.” Uee said.

“Only? I thought every members have to sign it. It means that when you sign it, you can’t leave the whole school year.” I said.

“Yes, that’s right. But you know that we are a part of cheerdance too, right?” Hara asked.

“What!?!” I gasped.

“Looks like coach did it again.” Kahi said.

            By the way, where is coach? Oh! Shoot! She already left.

“By the way, what is the cheerdancing all about? Does it mean we have to join Cheer Leading too?” I asked.

“Not really. It means that when you sign the contract, you will be a part of the cheerdance.” Nicole explained.

“But ours is just like a branch. We only have to cheer the Men’s Tennis Club and some competitions.” Nicole continued.

“But it’s different from a Cheering Squad. We have to sing and dance at the same time, like a girl group.” Yoona explained.

“Ohh- that sounds nice! When can we start practicing by the way?” I asked.

“We will practice Tennis every schooldays and Cheering Squad every weekends.” Krystal explained.

“Ohh- Shall we start practicing now?” I asked.

“Yes, captain. But we also have to gather the other members, the club members. We can’t just practice by ourselves, can we?” Kahi said.

“Alright! Call them now! You regulars have a practice match, the freshman’s will do 100 swings and after, pick-up the balls. While the juniors and sophomores will do 10 laps.” I commanded.

“Wow! That’s our captain!” Lizzy said.

“ayy,ayy captain!” Hara said.

“Okay! Everyone! Do their jobs!” Kahi commanded.

“Captain!” Kahi approached me.

“Why?”

“Aren’t you going to practice too?”

“Don’t worry. I will, just somewhere else. And by the way, just call me Nana.” I said with a smile.

“Yes~” She answered then headed to the court.

            I was watching them the whole 15 minutes and they look so obedient. And I haven’t seen the coach too. Then I planned to watch Ryoma’s tryouts. So, I went to their court and watched it. As expected, he won. But when his match ended, he had snacks then went somewhere. I followed him. I saw him sleeping on the rooftop of the building. I sat behind him and stare at his face. What a beautiful face he has. He’s face is so small, but he is so handsome. I’m falling for him. Then he’s eyes widened. I continued staring at him, coldly. Then he touched my face to move it, so that he can also move.

“What are you doing here? Are you a stalker? Why are you always following me?” He asked.

“Relax. One question at a time.” I answered.

“I just think you need someone.”

“Need someone?”

“I mean- I know your next match wil be with the Snake Kaidoh(Key).”

“Snake?”

“Yes. I heard it somewhere. I just think that he’s stronger than your other opponents so I think you might need me.”

“Huh?”

“What I mean is to practice with you. And well since he is right handed, I’ll use my right hand for you.”

“But you’re originally right handed.”

“No~ I’m like you. I’m a southpaw.” I said. Then his eyes widened.

“Ow~ I see” He said while grabbing his racquet and going downstairs.

            I followed him.  We walked to the 5th floor and saw my brother together with his other team mates. They stared at us, wondering why we are together. I think they thought we have a relationship or something. I just ignored them and walk proudly. We walked proudly, coldly. When we got to the other floors, the same thing happened. But the 2nd floor was weirder, since it is where our classroom is located. The boys looked so pissed, as well as the girls. I saw hatred and jealousy in their stare.

“Oh- I think people misunderstood” I whispered to Ryoma

“It seems” He said.

            Then we continued walking until we reach the court. Well, it was not really a tennis court, It was a basketball court.

“Why are we here?” I asked.

“I thought you said you are going to help me practice.”

“Oh-” Now I get it.

            We started the practice match as soon as possible, since no one is here because we are using the old gym, it was quiet and private. He seemed stronger, but it was just a practice. Then after a couple of minutes, we ended our practice. We sat togther at the floor.

“Why don’t we make a deal?” I asked.

“What deal?”

“I will be your manager.”

“Huh? Manager? I don’t need one.”

“Really? All I have to do is help you at everything.”

“No thanks.”

“Oh~ Don’t be like that.”

“I’m not interested.”

“I’m going to blackmail you!” I said.

“Oh really? How?”

“You didn’t feel it? I kissed you! And I have a picture as a proof!” I said. Well, I didn’t really kissed him, it was just the time that I was smelling his scent and I tried to have a picture and it looks like we’re kissing.

He was blushing then he said “Is that all you want?”

“Huh?”

“Being my Manager?”

“No! You have to be mine too!”

“What!?!”

“I mean just in practices at court, you have to give me a towel or something to drink. I will also do the same for you. All we have to do is gave each other a towel and a beverage.” I explained.

“Oh- That’s easy.”

“So, that’s a deal?”

“Yes” He said, pissed.

            So we went together to the court. Everybody was shocked. And some other girls who were cheering for him looked pissed. I entered at the court and sat at a bench.

“Hey! Why did you enter the court?  If you want to watch, you have to watch from the outside?”

“Huh? Why is that? I’m a part of this club too!” I explained.

“How is that?”

“Well- I’m part of the Women’s Tennis Club.”

“This is not the Women’s Tennis Club! This court are for men!” He shouted.

“It’s fine! Let her be.” Fuji(Jaejoong) said, while entering the room.

“Oh- senpa. Good Morning!” Everybody greeted.

            I smiled at him, then he sat beside me. Everybody was shocked and pissed at the same time. They were like “Who is she?”

“Thanks.” I said to Fuji.

“It’s nothing.” He replied.

“Did you come here to watch or you came here because I was here?” I teased.

“Both” he answered.

            We just both smiled then watch the game. The match was tight. Echizen was still using his right hand. Them moments later, Momoshiro(Changmin) joined us. He sat beside me, making me sat in the middle. Ryoma was showing like he was having a hard time but, he wasn’t really having a hard time. I can sense his planning.

“Wow~ So that is Kaido’s snake.” The girl outside the court said. She was actually behind so we can hear him. He is actually Ryoma’s fan, together with her other 2 friends. I can hear her cheering just now.

“Snake?” The girl beside her asked.

“Yes. It his technique.” The girl answered.

“It looks like Ryoma fell into Kaidoh’s trap.”

“Trap?” The 3 girls asked.

“The Snake Technique isn’t actually just a technique. It is also a trap, Kaidoh used it to make his opponent ran after the ball, which makes him tired.” Momoshiro answered.

“That’s right, but the game actually just started.” I said.

“Oh-Look at this girl! Trying to sound like a pro!” The girl said. I just smiled.

            Thenat exactly at that moment Kaidoh won the 3rd set. Then Ryoma went to the bench where we were sitting and were his towel and water is. And as expected, I handed his towel and water, which made us look like a couple, supporting each other. The girls behind us shouted. I really love it looking at people who looked pissed. I mean I really love teasing. And to make them more jealous, I wiped Ryoma’s face, which made them cry and ran away. Ryoma didn’t seem to care and headed to the court.

“Are you two a couple?” Fuji asked.

“No.” I answered.

“Then, why did you do that for?” Momoshiro asked.

“Just to satisfy my happiness.”

“Huh? Satisfy?” They both asked.

“I don’t know but I really love it when I see other people whom I don’t know look pissed in my actions. For short, I really love teasing. It’s like a habit, my day isn’t complete whenever I don’t tease people.” I explained.

“Oh- So that’s why.” They both said.

“There’s a reason behind it” Fuji said.

“Huh?” I asked.

“There’s a reason behind you habit.” He said.

“Oh! Yeah Right. There is.”

“What is it?” Momoshiro asked.

“Ever since I was a kid, everybody has a good first impression of me, despite of my looks and cheerful attitude. So, I decided to make it the opposite. Being a favorite can be boring too, you know.” I explained.

“Ow~ Now we know.” They said.

“Uhm- I know this is weird but, do you tease Tezuka too?” Fuji asked.

“Uhh- Yes! You should see him look pissed. He look so cute since he blush!” I said.

“Oh Really? I never saw captain blushed. He always have the col-hearted image.” Momo said.

“Yes~ It will be great if we’ll see it.” Fuji said.

            Then the match started. The scores is now 5-4, Echizen lead.

“Why does Ryoma look so calm even after all the snake that Kaidoh used.? Is it in his blood?” Momoshiro asked.

“Because Kaidoh was wrong” Fuji said.

“Kaidoh is using the snake to make Ryoma run and loose his stamina but he doesn’t know what Ryoma is doing to him. Ryom hit’s the ball lower so Kaidoh can bend his knees making them be tired. Actually, if you return lower balls, you need to use 2½ more energy than a usual ball. For short, Kaidoh was the one who fell into Ryoma’s trap.” I explained.

“Wow~ That’s a good explanation you have there Nana-chan.” Momo said.

“No wonder why she is Tezuka’s  sister.” Fuji added.

“Thank you.” I said with a smile.

            Minutes after, Echizen won the game. And finally Kaidoh relized Ryoma’s trap. It was a good game though. Kaidoh looked pissed, and Ryoma finished everything by saying “Mada Mada Dane.” It was his finishing touch, everytime he won a game. I actually think it’s a good habit.

 

***************************

 

            It was already lunch time. And Ryoma’s next match is with Inui’s. I heard his better than Kaidoh and uses his data. But I have no plans of watching his game. It’s not boring but he has too many fan girl’s who are always shouting, it’s too annoying so I decided to watch my brother’s game. His game is with the vice-captain, Oishi. I watched it for about 10 minutes but to know that my brother will just win at the end, I got bored so I just sleep at the rooftop.

 

***************************

 

 

“Today is the day of my tryouts! Haha!” I cheered myself. “But actually, I think today will be boring.” I continued.. *sigh*

“Captain!” Krystal called.

“What is it?” I said.

“Don’t you have a match now?”

“Nah~ It will start at 9:00 A.M”

“But it’s already 9:05”

“What!?! Really?”

“Yes~”

“Well, thanks! See you.”

            Then I ran towards the court and saw the girl who let me hit a can when I join this club.

“So~ You are my opponent” She arrogantly said.

“Most Likely.” I cooly replied.

“Don’t cry.”

“Cry? Why would I?”

“Just saying. Prepare your tears because you will loose!”

“Whatever.”

            Then the match started. I ended it in just 8 minutes. The scores were 6-0.

“Don’t cry.” I said.Then handed my hand.

            The ignored my hand and ran away. The people were all shocked. Then the coach came.

“Coach! Can I do all my matches right away?” I asked.

“No! You have to wait until the other players are ready.” She said.

“Nah~ That’s so boring. I’m already really sleepy.”

“That’s not my problem.”

            I ignored her and go to my next opponent, I ended it in 10 minutes. I really want to sleep already! Then another match, I won again. Then the last match in the morning was with a regualr. My next match is with Lizzy. I didn’t won easily, since she’s a regular, I was planning to make it up to 35 minutes. But I was hungry, so I ended it up to 25 minutes only. And all this time, I was using my right hand. Then the lunch came. The other regulars called us. And invited us to have lunch with them.

“Is my next opponent a regular?” I asked.

“Yes, captain. Your next oponnent will be, Kahi.” Krystal said.

“Oh~ That’s so scary.” I joked.

“Don’t be Nana.”

“But your taller and bigger than me.”

“That doesn’t mean I’m stronger.”

“Yeah, right.”

            Everybody laughed. We enjoyed out lunch and Kahi asked Uee to have a practice match with her, since I’m her next oponnent. So, I decided to ask my brother for a practice match. I sneaked to their court. I didn’t saw my brother, maybe he’s still taking his lunch.

“Where’s Tezuka?” I asked Fuji.

“He’s still taking gis lunch.” Fuji answered.

“Oh- I see.”

“Why? Is there anything wrong?”

“No- Nothing. I was just planning to have a practice match with him” I said, pouting.

“Oh-Maybe, I can help you?”

“Oh really? That would be great.”

            I know that Fuji was a prodigy and never loose his matches, except for Tezuka, but still. So, I used my left hand.

“You’re a lefty?” He asked.

“Uhm- yes. Why?”

“I saw your matches this morning, and all those time, you were using your right hand.”

“Nah~ I was just practicing my control.”

“As expected from Tezuka’s sister.”

            Gosh! There’s that word again. I really hate it! So, the matches started. It was just a pratice so we did it for just about 15 minutes, it was a really good game. Now, I see, this School(Seigako) is very strong when it comes to Tennis. I didn’t finish the game because I don’t want him to loose in front of many people, at least not now. So, I decided to end it.

“Thanks” I said.

“Sure thing.” He replied

            Then I walked away, going to my next match. Kahi was so strong, maybe as strong as Fuji. I used my left hand. Now I know my team is strong. The match ended in 30 minutes. The score is 6-1. I won. Then I won 4 straight wins so that mean I’m the official captain already.  But it will be announced tomorrow. As well as the practice for the regionals. But for now, since I ended the match early, all I did was sleep until it was already time to go home.