I

I Miss You

It was a chilly night but despite that, he still wanted ice cream.

Yes it seemed childish to want ice cream at this hour of the night, but he had other reasons for walking around.

He walked to think, to reminisce, and to remember her and all the things she was.

He liked to think about everything they did together, and walking to this particular mini mart helped a lot. It wasn't the convenience store where they created their memories per se, but rather it was the path they moved through that filled it.

It was on the way to the park where they stayed up on the roof of his car just having fun, playing music or playing games; by the river where she would sit and sketch while he lay asleep on her lap. It was by the bus stop where they had their first kiss as teenagers, and along this street where they'd walk hand in hand through rain or snow or shine. And finally, ice cream. They'd always stop by here to get ice cream.

"Melona," she'd start...

"..is the best ice cream product that South Korea has ever, ever produced!" She said as she happily ate her own.

That of course, wasn't 100% true, he thought. There was the fish red bean ice cream, the ice cream sandwiches, the ones coated in chocolate; others were bubble gum and grape flavored and well, this is drifting off topic. But you get the picture, right? And anyway, he let her be. She was extremely amusing, especially when she was talking about something she liked; she was very passionate about it.

 

He shook his head, smiling while he let thoughts, and images of her play before him as he walked.

Finally, he was nearing the convenience store and so he pulled his cap down further to cover his face from people who might happen to know him.

He looked down and stopped in his tracks as a woman and child walked in before him.

It seemed they were in there for the same thing because as he was going to the freezer, he saw them picking out what their frozen treat for the night would be, and so he decided to give them some time before he singled out his own.

They left, and he came in replace of them.

He didn’t take time for he knew what he wanted. Dessert in hand, he left for the cashier.

As he came, the lady was already there. She seemed to be taking more time than usual, trying to pay exact change. The cashier was getting bored, and so waited and waited. Youngbae was getting impatient as well.

"What's taking her so long?" He thought, brows furrowing while his foot unconsciously and impatiently tapped the floor.

 

"There! Ugh, I'm really sorry. Truly. I just couldn't find my change." She told the cashier person with a hint of embarrassment in her voice.

"It's fine," the guy said in a monotonous tone.

 

Finally, she turned around to apologize to the man behind her.

"That took too long. I'm sorry," she said and smiled at Youngbae.

She smiled an all too familiar smile, a smile that would light up his darkest moments in a flash.

It was her smile.

The irritated look that was plastered on his face instantly dissipated, replaced by a look of bewilderment.

She started to get worried. 'Why is this man staring at me?' She thought to herself. She looked at him some more and so too did the look on her face change as she realized who she bumped into.

 

"Youngbae?" She asked, unsure because she was a mix of emotions. Happy, shocked, excited, nervous, embarassed, upset. She didn't know how she felt because he made her feel so many things.

"So-I?" He was confused, too. He was worried about how he looked. Did he look tacky in a hoodie and jeans? Is his cap too much? Was his Faux-hawk too long?? Was he wearing studs? She hated it when he wore studs or earrings. Oh, good. He wasn’t. So many questions were in his mind, but he was sure he was happy.

"How are yo--," he wanted to ask but was interrupted by a little voice...under him?

 

He looked down to see a little boy looking up at him, and then at So-I.

Youngbae couldn't comprehend what was happening. Who was this?

"Mommy, I want this too." The little boy said.

Mommy? Who was mommy??

"Baby, I told you we'd only stop by for ice cream." She said, squatting down so she was face to face with him and so she was able to remove the snack in the boy’s little hands.

 

Youngbae was only staring at the scene in front of him, but he couldn't understand.

 

"Please, please, please?" The little boy asked.

"We'll drop by again tomorrow, okay?" The kid nodded and So-I received her package from the cashier thankfully, and then dug in to get the boy, Sun, his treat.

"Thank you!" Sun sang.

Things got very awkward. She didn't know what to do, so she introduced her little boy, Sun, which was pronounced as 'seun.'

"Uhm..." She stammered, and the light in his eyes dimmed as that of a dying ember.

"This is Sun," she started and reached out her hand to get Sun.

"He's my--" she was about to tell him, but he stopped her by abruptly asking. His eyes were intently staring at her hand.

"You're married." He stated more than asked, but she still replied with a nod. Only then did she realize, she reached out for Sun with the hand that had a ring on it.

"And this is..." He asked, eyes flitting from mother to child, still hoping that the ring he saw was nothing more than a couple ring with a new boyfriend, then maybe, he'd still have hope; and then the child could be a nephew or someone she was babysitting. He didn't want to believe, he hoped this was an illusion. He was being deceived. This couldn't be true.

"This is my son, Seungheon, but I call him Sun." She wanted to say she called him that because he was her ‘little star.’

 

She always wanted a little boy, and at the time she and Youngbae were together everyone called him Taeyang like the Sun, she wanted to name her future baby that so that if his daddy Youngbae wasn't around, she'd have her own personal star with her while her sun was away for only a little while.

Of course, she wasn't with Youngbae and all her dreams of having a family with him was gone, but that didn't mean she didn't want to keep the name she thought of. It was a sort of reminder for her that their once great love did exist. However now, she only had memories to pass her by, and they did keep her happy. Though she could never have her sun with her anymore, she’d at least have her star.

 

Sun looked at Youngbae, and Youngbae looked at Sun.

 

"He has her eyes." He thought to himself, but after hearing her let out a little laugh, he realized he said it out loud.

"Thank you, I think." She told him.

He smiled at her, but inside he was mentally yelling at himself, 'stupid, stupid, stupid!"

Sun stopped staring at Youngbae and yanked his mom's shirt.

"Let's go home, please." Sun told her.

"Alright," she said and held her son's extended hand.

"Well, I have to go now." So-I told him.

He nodded.

"It was good seeing you, Youngbae. Really." And with that, she let her little boy pull her out of the convenience.

 

He stayed there, stuck in a trance.

"Uh, are you gonna get that, sir?" The cashier attendant asked him grumpily. Having witnessed what happened between the two customers, he still didn't care. He just wanted to end his shift and he couldn't do that with this one customer still present.

"No," Youngbae shook his head and dropped the ice cream pack on the counter, to which the cashier attendant sighed tiredly.

Youngbae didn't mind. He just wanted to get home back to the dorm.

 

----

 

Though they have their own houses, the dorm was somewhere they liked to hang out and stay in; or when they had their schedules together the following day, the all went to the place that started it all. And tomorrow, they'd have a show at Strong Heart together. It was assumed that all five members of BigBang stay at the dorms tonight.

 

As Youngbae got home, everyone, who was apparently watching television at the living room, stared at him.

"Got your ice cream?" Jiyong, who was his best friend since the age of 13, asked Youngbae knowing fully well what 'ice cream' meant.

"No," Youngbae told them, shaking his head sideways. His eyes seemed empty, as if he wasn't even there. And his posture was so stiff, it was as if he was a statue; a living, breathing statue.

"What took you so long, then? You didn't even bring me a snack!" Seungri, though older now but was still the maknae, .

Everyone started making snide comments about Seungri's annoying stomach and about him being spoiled and such but what Youngbae said next silenced them.

"I saw her tonight, at the store." He told them.

 

Complete and total silence.

 

"Bae," Jiyong started, but was silenced.

"She has a son," he said. The other four pairs of eyes widened as they heard this.

"Youngbae hyu--" It was Daesung who spoke up, but again they were kept quiet.

"I'm going to my room." He told them and walked off to the direction of his living space.

 

The members didn’t know what to do. They wanted to be able to comfort him, console him, but that didn’t seem like something Youngbae would accept, at least not now. And so, they kept to themselves, quiet and brokenhearted for their Youngbae, and for their love that was meant to be. They couldn’t say anything, for it was not their situation but they too felt, and what they felt was sad. They could only imagine how the other member, their brother, was feeling.

In the comfort of his own silence, in the confines of his own room, all these thoughts swarmed over Youngbae and just recalling the events of tonight ate him alive.

 

He figured that he liked his memories more than reality; for in the amorous realm, the most painful wounds are inflicted more often by what one sees than by what one knows.

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n

Here's an update. I'll be posting one everyday until Valentine's Day!

And if my goal does come true, then I'll tell you what I'm 'supposedly' supposed to say!

Teehee :>

Oh, also..does anyone know where I can get a good poster? :D