Chapter 3

Revealing Maya

 

 

The first day

 

        Geun Suk was contemplating the incredible bluish green ocean while sitting on a lounge chair in front of the beach house. The silent was disturbed only by the ocean’s breathe and seagulls’ cries and his anger started to fade. Maybe that crazy woman had made a good choice bringing him in this splendid place at the edge of the wold .

He never had time to escape like that, for his own pleasure and without a bunch of people swarming around. It was nice and peaceful and the man felt as the fatigue and stress of the last months disappeared slowly.

        Maya, accompanied by her snow white dog, approached and put on the table a glass with ice water and a cup of espresso coffee.

“Those are for you. We are going to swim. Do you like to come with us?”

“Thanks, maybe later.”

“Ok. Come on Momo, catch me!” shouted Maya and started to run to the ocean followed by her dog. They hitched the water in the same time, in turmoil of laughter, barks and spatters. The woman began to swim with elegant and vigorous movements followed closely by Momo, moving away towards the sunset leaving behind an irritated Geun Suk.

Soon his irritation became worry – it was no sign of woman or dog and the ocean seemed suddenly so vast and dangerous.

Should I go find her? But, where? It’s ocean for god sake!” concluded the man.

In the end, Maya and Momo appeared, swimming slowly side by side. The woman was out of water and Geun Suk’s heart stopped beating for a second. It was a surreal view – the sunset thrown the ocean in flames, a symphony of red, blue, yellow and green and on that magnificent background, Maya seemed like a pagan sea goddess emerging from the waters of creation. The water drops slipped over her slightly tanned skin and, while he watched her fine silhouette, Geun Suk realized, for the very first time, that Maya was a gorgeous woman.

“I’m gona take a shower and we’ll eat in half hour.”

“As you wish” said Geun Suk turning away his eyes, suddenly embarrassed by her almost body.

Maya seemed to understand his hesitation and walked away smiling amused.

 

 

“Did you enjoy the food?” asked Maya while sipping her Martini.

They were both on the porch, sitting in comfortable armchairs around a small table and having a drink.

“It was very good. So, you work for P&M Advertising?” replied Geun Suk.

“No, I just take some jobs time to time, when I’m too bored of my own business or I have too much free time. It’s my father’s company so I can do that without too many complications.”

“So I’m here just to help you avoid the boredom. How flattering for me!” said Geun Suk with a bitter voice.

“Trust me! I’m your best option to succeed in US and I’ll do my job carefully.”

“And how much will you earn if my debut is successful?”

“It’s not about money. I’m a freelancer specialized in data systems security for large companies. I earn 2-3 million $ per year and I can work wherever I have an internet connection. I asked this job as a favor from my father because I needed something new, a challenge. I’m not paid for your success, so don’t be offended.”

Geung Suk was confused and tried his best to hide his hurt pride.

“I don’t understand; if you earn so much money why do you need this job?”

“I need to keep my mind busy all the time, otherwise I’m depressed and I have trouble sleeping. Sometimes I think that my brain is like a child drove by curiosity, a restless and greedy child.”

Maya lighted a cigarette looking meditatively to the ocean.

“This is the strangest motivation I’ve ever heard. The cleverness it’s supposed to be a blessing not a burden.”

“It is … most of the time. I’ve seen you brought your guitar. Can you play something for me? “ said Maya changing the subject.

“No problem. I’ll go get it.”

“What would you like to hear?” asked the young man.

“I really like a song from your drama ‘Mary stayed out all night’; I think it’s called ‘Hello’. Can you play it without a band?”

“I have my guitar so it’s ok.”

Geun Suk started to sing and Maya saw how he and the music became one. It was like the music came from his skin and eyes, melting her heart until the single remain was the pure and sincere sound of music…