Pastel

Midnight Summer Dream

 

Winter hurriedly moves her line of sight from the beautiful woman back to the rest of her friends. The sweet flowery smell and the tickling sensations never left. She wonders why this is happening. She also wonders why she likes what she is currently feeling. She snaps back to reality when Peniel arrives by their table carrying the first keg of the night.

“So,” He says, voice booming. “What are you guys willing to do for this big keg of beer?” Everyone cheers. “I am going to twerk!” Hwanwoong announces loudly and did not wait for a signal. He just starts to twerk while the rest of the people look at him amused. Winter joins her friends in cheering for Hwanwoong until Peniel raises his arms, indicating that they received the big keg. Every person in the restaurant cheers for Hwanwoong.

“It’s ya boy, Yeo Hwanwoog, everyone!” Youngjo exclaims and the crowd continues to clap. Winter continues eating while clapping for her friend. The sensation is back but stronger. Not that she minds. However, there is a feeling that someone is looking at her. 

 

As soon as Karina enters the pub, she is greeted by laughter, chatter, and old-school music from the speakers. She and Giselle scan the pub for a table. Luckily, a staff guides them through and sat them at a circular table. Karina is liking the homey atmosphere, so far. She loves the scent of chocolates and cinnamon.

“I wonder what they’re serving. Smells like chocolates and cinnamon here.” She says.

“Huh?” Giselle wonders as she sits down in front of her best friend. “There is no such thing?”

 

Karina finds it hard to believe that Giselle is not able to take a whiff of that distinct smell. She looks around, trying to take in the details of the pub. Her hand itches as she is starting to feel the need to draw the details that she sees. “Lia, Yuna, and Chaeryeong are coming. I wonder where Ryujin and Yeji are.” Giselle says.

“They did say they’re going to be late. Yeji’s lab class ends at 7.” Giselle nods in understanding. They are looking for the menu but, as if on cue, Peniel reaches their table. “What’s your poison, ladies?” He asks.

“I think I’m in the mood for a sangria,” Giselle says. “How about you, Min?”

“Can I have some coffee for now? I’m driving.” She answers. Peniel nods in understanding. As he is about to go back to the bar for their orders, Karina stops him and asks, “what are you making with all that chocolate and cinnamon?” Peniel looks confusingly at Giselle who just shrugs.

“There’s no chocolate and cinnamon. Are you smelling chocolates and cinnamon?” Peniel asks. Karina looks back at him, confused. “I told you there is no chocolate and cinnamon smell,” Giselle says. Peniel excuses himself and the two women looked at each other. Karina shrugs. Maybe it’s just someone’s perfume. 

 

Back at Winter’s table, the group finally finished their dinner and everyone is still thinking of a way how to help her regarding talking to Karina. The chatter dies down a bit as everyone feels the weight of their dinner on their stomachs.

“How come you’re not preparing, Myeong?” Yizhuo asks Dongmyeong. “Are you guys not going to perform?”

“Nah, I’m the only one who’s attending summer classes. Plus, Yonghoon-hyung is with Momo-noona. It’s their anniversary week.” Winter sees Jieun, Eunsong, Geonhak, Gunmin, and Youngjo stand up to go backstage and prepare for their band’s performance. 

 

Winter relaxes a bit and leans on her chair. She realizes that, suddenly, there are no ghosts around while the sweet, flowery smell is still in the air. She tries looking for the woman with beautiful, sharp eyes. She is sitting at five tables across them. Far enough for her not to notice Winter’s glances but close enough for Winter to see the details of her face. 

 

Electricity is running through Winter’s body as she sees the woman. She takes a deep breath and closes her eyes, bringing her attention back to her friends at the table. 

“So, Winter,” Yeji says. “When can we introduce you to Karina?” Winter just shrugs. She really doesn’t know what to do or say. She figures that she does not really have a strategy on how to deal with the ghost’s request. Ryujin rolls her eyes. “I hope Karina ditches Jeno and comes here then I shall corner you both and introduce you to one another.” She says.

 

Before Winter can reply, everyone looked at the door when the chimes signaled that a customer has entered. Yeji’s and Ryujin’s faces lit up when they see their group of friends come in. Winter is not really close with all of them. All she knows are their names: Lia, Chaeryeong, and Yuna who is also Ryujin’s cousin and Peniel’s younger sister.

“Hey, glad you can make it!” Yeji excitedly says. “No Karina and Giselle?”

“They said they’re already here,” Lia answers. The five girls look around and suddenly see Giselle and Karina across their table. Ryujin gives Winter a knowing look and a smirk. Yeji excuses herself from everyone and accompanies the newly-arrived women towards the other table. “Go ahead, love,” Ryujin says to her girlfriend. “I’ll just talk to Winter first.”

“I know that look,” Yizhuo accuses. “You have a plan in that mind of yours.”

“We have just solved one of Winter’s problems. Don’t thank me yet.” Ryujin answers. Winter raises an eyebrow and looks at Ryujin, confused. 

“Tonight is your lucky night, Cold Season,” Ryujin announces. “That pretty girl right there is Karina Yoo.” Winter and her friends follow Ryujin’s line of sight. The smell of flowers and the tingling sensation came back as Winter lays her eyes on Karina – the woman with the sharp, beautiful eyes. The same woman with sharp eyes from her dreams. 

 

“Wow, she is pretty,” Ireh comments. “She does look like someone who is way out of Winter’s league.” Keonhee comments. Winter snaps her neck comedically at that comment. “Excuse me?” She says. “I’m not planning on dating her?” Ryujin and the rest of the gang laugh. 

“No one says you will, though,” Dongmyeong says, obviously trying to get a rise out of their friend. Winter huffs and crosses her arms. 

“But seriously, Win,” Ryujin says. “Tell me if you want to be introduced. The sooner you finish the task, the sooner you get your peace back.” Winter nods. Ryujin stands up and bids the gang farewell as she joins Yeji at Karina’s table.

“What’s the plan, master Winter?” Dongju asks.

“I don’t know?” Winter admits. She takes a glance at Karina and she knows it is going to be a difficult task. 

“Don’t fret, for now, Cold Season,” Yizhuo says. “Let us enjoy the night. Peniel-oppa says coffee and cakes are on the house for us.” Yizhuo stands up to get some refreshments and moments later, Geonhak returns to the table and calls for Winter.

“Minjeong,” he calls. “I need help setting up the synths. Will you help me?” Winter nods and follows her cousin near the stage. The two of them pass by the table where Karina and her gang are sitting. She can feel a set of eyes looking at her but she just ignores it.

 

“I didn’t know you guys are already here,” Giselle says. “According to Karina, you will be late.” Yeji nods as she takes a sip of iced tea. “We thought so, too, but my lab class was cut short and Ryu is already in the area.”

“I plan on hanging out at the club room while waiting for Yeji but there are no longer people around,” Ryujin explains. “Luckily, Yeji texted that she’s already free.”

“Who are you with earlier?” Karina asks. Ryujin and Yeji exchange glances and small smiles. “Oh, you know the Biological Society,” Ryujin says.

“That’s right! We were with Winter!” Yeji exclaims. “You have to meet her.”

“Winter is looking cute as usual, isn’t she?” Lia observes. “Always so cuddly.” Ryujin and Yeji laugh at the comment and observe Karina. Their friend seems distracted and keeps on glancing at the stage area.

 

Karina tries to listen to the conversation that their friends are having. Apparently, Yuna is starting to get interested in a girl from the College of Engineering. “You should ask Hyunjin for help then,” Chaeryeong says, referring to Yeji’s twin brother. “He’s from the same college, anyway.”

 

As much as Karina wants to listen, she keeps on smelling chocolates and cinnamon and her attention always goes back to that wide-eyed girl assisting a buff man with musical instruments. Little does she know that Ryujin and Yeji followed her line of sight. The couple smiled and gave each other knowing glances. “So,” Ryujin starts. “Karina, did a cutie pie catch your eye?”

“Huh?” This takes her out of her reverie.

“It seems to me that our pretty best friend is eyeing a cutie pie from the stage,” Ryujin announces. All 5 women turn their heads towards the stage where Winter is talking with Geonhak.

“A cutie pie, indeed,” Giselle says.

“Hey, isn’t that…” Yuna says. Ryujin and Yeji laugh and that made Karina feel the heat on her cheeks. “Oh, it’s Winter.” Chaeryeong announces. Karina pretends that she is not shocked at the revelation. So that is the famous Winter Kim? She thinks. She takes one last glance at the girl on stage and tries to drink her coffee. She meets Giselle’s eyes halfway – one part questioning, one part amused. Karina gives Giselle a look of warning. Her best friend just shrugs and smiles to herself.

“You crushing on Winter, Karina?” Lia asks. Karina quickly shakes her head. “I-I was just amazed at how they set up all those instruments.” She explains. "Besides, I don't even know her?" Her friends seem to buy her explanation but not Giselle. Karina sees her best friend smirk before taking a sip of her second sangria.

 

“Here, Minjeong, attach it there,” Geonhak instructs. Winter follows his instructions carefully and places Jieun’s synthesizer next to her guitar. “So,” her cousin begins. “What’s the deal with this ghost?”

“As Yizhuo said,” Winter carefully answers. “The ghost was asking for a favor.”

“Is there a way to say no?” 

“Well, uh, she did not really give me a choice,” Winter answers truthfully but omitting the fact that her life is at stake – again. Winter sees Youngjo approach the two of them and offers her other cousin a smile. 

“How do we make sure that you will be alright?” Youngjo asks. If Winter is being honest, she cannot guarantee that what she’s doing is safe. However, she does not want her cousins to worry, or worse, report everything to her older sister. The older boys sigh because of the frustration. They badly want to help Winter. But how, when they can’t even see what she is dealing with?

“We’ll walk you home, alright?” Geonhak announces. “We’ll be with you tonight at home.” Winter nods. When Geonhak makes up his mind, everything becomes absolute. Looks like she is going to wait until the program finishes.

As Winter returns to their seat, she sees Yizhuo and her friends playing with the rest of the org members. She is about to walk faster towards the table when she feels an arm encircling her. “There you are, Cold Season,” Ryujin says. 

“What do you want, Ryuddaeng?” Winter asks, emphasizing the nickname that Yeji exclusively uses for her girlfriend. Ryujin rolls her eyes and lets it pass. She pulls Winter to a table. Winter would have made a fuss but she suddenly smells the flowery scent again. Ilang-ilang, she thinks. The smell is stronger now and somewhat nearer. 

 

It was only then that Winter realizes that Ryujin pulls her towards the table where Karina Yoo is sitting. As she looks at the woman with sharp, beautiful eyes, she feels that the world slows down, her heartbeat stops, and everything is lighter. What is this sensation? Why her? Winter asks.

“Hey, lovely ladies,” Ryujin says. Winter sees Yeji smiling at her, too. “Let me introduce to you my adorable friend, Winter Kim.” Winter smiles and says hello. She can’t look at Karina. Stop being a weirdo, Winter. She thinks. 

“Lovely meeting you, Winter,” she hears. “I’m Karina Yoo. Have we met?”