chapter 1- who?

Yours Truly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

“Hey, what are you guys doing?”

 

 

“We’re playing house!” 

 

 

“Oh is that so?” Jihyo leaned forward to have a peek at their little game.

 

 

“How does that work?” Seulgi asked and Yuri answered, “We talk like you and do things you do!”

 

 

“What kinds of things?” Momo asked, looking at the adults instead of the children.

 

 

“We,” Yujin started, suddenly standing up with Wonyoung’s hands in hers, pulling the younger girl to her feet, “we’re in love!”

 

 

“Im. Won. Young!” Ms. Park shouted making the said girl jump in her seat.

 

 

“Y-yes?” She heard a suppressed giggle from behind, but didn’t mind to check who it was from. She knew very well.

 

 

“Since you look like you’re enjoying being in your own world, how about you show us how to solve this word problem?” The fuming teacher slammed her hand onto the board.

 

 

Wonyoung rose from her seat, “great, in the first day of school,” she said under her breath.

 

 

The youngest Im took the chalk from the woman’s hand and immediately started to compute for the answer. Within seconds, she dropped the white material and strode back to her seat. 

 

 

Embarrassed, the teacher cleared and let out an awkward laugh, but before she could further embarrass herself, the bell rung, signaling the first break of the day.

 

 

There was a chorus of the sound of chairs being pushed and pulled in the students’ attempt to get away from that hell hole they call classroom as fast as they could.

 

 

Wonyoung did the same, but before closing the door behind her, she bowed and bid the still embarrassed teacher goodbye.

 

 

The moment she closed the door, “So, what fairytale were you in, Wonyoung-ah?”

 

 

The latter groaned in annoyance, “Bae Yujin, can you not?” And there it was, the annoyingly hearty laugh Im Wonyoung loved so much. She tried to fake her annoyance, but her blushing cheeks failed her.

 

 

“Okay, okay, I’ll stop,” Yujin said with a smile that made her friend blush even more. “Omo, look at you blushing. Tell me, who was your prince charming this time?”

 

 

“Stop it already!” Wonyoung threw light punches at her classmate, “Ouch! Okay, I’ll stop for real.”

 

 

“You’re always teasing me,” the taller girl pouted. 


 

“Well, it’s not my fault you’re so cute when you’re annoyed,” the other girl replied.

 

 

“Whatever,” Wonyoung shrugged and turned her head towards the direction of the cafeteria, trying to hide the color of her face, “let’s just get going or the others might think we ditched them.”

 

 

“Of course!” The youngest Bae exclaimed and immediately started walking to their destination, dragging the taller girl by her arm in the process.

 

 

 

 

_____

 

 

“That’s so unfair!” Shin Yuna huffed, “I don’t understand how the two of you always end up in the same class I mean, this is already our second year in high school and you’re still together!”

 

 

Wonyoung and Yujin arrived at the cafeteria a little late, thankfully, their group of friends Shin Yuna, Choi Yena, Lee Chaeryeong, Yabuki Nako and Honda Hitomi have already saved them a seat. Some of them are not from the same level, like Yena and Chaeryeong who are a year older, but they met Yujin and Yuna in the track and field team.

 

 

“Don’t worry, Yuna, you’ll find your soulmate soon,” Yujin said while slurping her ramyeon.

 

 

Wonyoung blushed at the word. Soulmate.

 

 

“Oh, so you’re saying Wonyoung’s your soulmate,” Chaeryeong teased with a rhythmic raise of browse. The others laughed while Yujin felt embarrassed and Wonyoung could even swear her best friend was blushing.

 

 

“W-well I mean, isn’t she, though? We’ve known each other since we were three!” Yujin tried to retort.

 

 

“Yeah and that’s like centuries ago,” Nako added to the teasing. “What’s wrong with having a friend for so long?” The puppy-like girl shouted, not caring that other students could hear them.

 

 

The group laughed at the fuming girl while Wonyoung was just there, smiling to herself at the thought of being Yujin’s soulmate.

 

 

“Well enough about Wonyoung and I, okay? How’s your vacation and first day?”

 

 

“Well,” Yena started, picking on her veggies, “I spent most of my vacay on stalking a certain Bae Yu—“

 

 

“How many times do I have to tell you my unnie’s not up for grabs, you duck!” The Bae scowled at her friend

 

 

“Well, she’s cute! And is super nice and that voice,” Yena covered her face with her hands and groaned, expressing how she feels when she hears the said voice, “so angelic.” She finished.

 

 

“Gross.” Chaeryeong muttered and made everyone laugh.

 

 

“That’s only because you haven’t found anyone yet!” The duck-like girl argued.

 

 

“Maybe because I don’t want to,” Chaeryeong said with her tongue poking out of .

 

 

“Well, what happened to that short-haired dancer in your unnie’s dance team that also happened to be my cousin? Hmm? Shin Ryujin?”

 

 

“Oh, shut up, Yuna!”

 

 

They were laughing so hard, Yena almost fell off her chair. 

 

 

“Excuse me, I’ll go wash, the ramyeon sauce is all over my face,” Yujin said, standing up, “I’ll be quick.”

 

 

They just gave the girl a nod and she was off, running like she needed to do something urgent when she said she’s just going to wash up.

 

 

On the table, they were still teasing Chaeryeong about her crush on Ryujin since seeing her dance in one of the competitions they came to watch to support her sister, Chaeyeon.

 

 

Wonyoung laughed along with them. She doesn’t seem like it, but she’s not much of an insider, not like her friends. She’s more on the quiet side, according to her parents. Nayeon would even say that she and her unnie took after their mom’s introverted tendencies. She’s happy to have found this group of people she now calls friends. But she wouldn’t mind if she didn’t. Wonyoung is very much convinced that she would be fine to have Yujin as her only friend, actually, she thinks she’ll be able to survive as long as she has Yujin.

 

 

“Hey, Wonyoung,” Hitomi called, “you daydream too much, you know?”

 

 

“H-huh?” She wasn’t daydreaming, she just spaced out. 

 

 

“Someone left that for you,” Tomi puckered her lips to point at the pink envelope just beside her hand, “she said a friend asked her to deliver it to you. But you were busy with your thoughts, you didn’t even realize she was there when she’s been calling your name. So we told her to just leave it.”

 

 

“Oh,” was the only thing that left . She touched the flap of the envelope, noticing that the only thing keeping it closed is a tiny bunny sticker. She flipped it over to see a few more bunny stickers and one fairy holding a shining wand just on top of the handwritten word fairytale. Her fingertip grazed the writing, having goosebumps after seeing a vision. Dejavu.

 

 

The tall girl looked up to her friends and cleared , “W-Who gave it?”

 

 

“Uh Hwang Yeji?” Nako answered, not quite sure. “Yeah, you know Choi Jisu?” Chaeryeong asked and the bunny-like girl tilted her head, confused, “Jisu— Lia unnie? The student council president?” 

 

“Oh yeah, I know her,” the tallest answered. “Yeji’s her girlfriend,” Chaeryeong finished.

 

 

“Yeji unnie’s in the track team! Although she’s not very active after she dislocated her left knee at a race last year.” Yena added.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter