dandelions & movie night

of missing pieces & bubbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After spending a few good hours in the rooftop wherein they just shared stories about each other which actually surprised the both of them. They have known each other for a few months now and it’s like they have never-ending stories about their past. Minju was actually worried about Hyewon for sharing things about her past, she knows that it’s not easy for the latter because her past is not a story that you’d share to anyone.

But Hyewon still did, stories about her time with Sakura and the others, the times when she’d have Sora to annoy her – Minju could just say that it was the best time of Hyewon’s life. The smile that was present on her face the whole time she’s telling a story, the twinkle in her eyes every time she mentions Sora and their shenanigans.

Minu on the other hand didn’t contribute much since there’s about her childhood that’s pretty exciting and worth sharing. She just shared the stress she felt during those times when she studied for an exam, it wasn’t a sad story – in fact they laughed about it because Minju just ranted everything to Hyewon even though it was all in the past.

Which is why she volunteered to drive them back to their apartment, Hyewon didn’t even fight Minju and just gave the keys to the younger girl, saying that it was pretty boring to drive.

She took a different route as Minju wants to explore the neighborhood more but there’s nothing much to see. It was pretty similar from the neighborhood in their apartment, maybe which is why she felt a sense of familiarity on the shops that they were passing by.

Minju looks at the establishments carefully, wanting to sink everything in – this is where Hyewon lived before, she wanted to remember it because she knows it’s a huge part of Hyewon’s life. Just then, she heard a phone ringing turning to look at the passenger beside her.

Hyewon was sleeping at that time as her phone rings on her lap, showing Sakura’s caller ID. It surprised the both of them, especially Hyewon which made her flinch and caused her phone to drop from her lap. Minju looked down at the phone and leaned over trying to get it when Hyewon pushed her up.

“You’re driving, I can do it.” The older girl said which reminded Minju what she was supposed to do. She then looked up only to see a pedestrian crossing the street and her reflex suddenly kicked in.

“.” Minju quickly hit the brakes making them slightly jolt forward from their seats and Hyewon hitting the top of her head on the dashboard.

“Ouch!”

Minju was frozen in her seat, shock still evident on her face as she sees the pedestrian standing there looking at them. She catches her breath from shock and opens her window to say apologize to the woman.

“I’m sorry! I was distracted for a minute, I’m sorry!”

The woman lets out a huge breath and looks at her sternly, “Look where you’re driving next time, okay? An accident could happen if not.” With that, the woman quickly crossed the street and Minju started to drive again. Honking once to the woman as an apology.

Hyewon looks at Minju with open, “You okay? You shouldn’t have – “

“Yeah, I’m just out of it.” Minju said with a small smile, “Suddenly had an urge to get your phone.”

The older girl looks at the driver incredulously, “While you’re driving?”

Minju rolls her eyes, “I know, a dumb move. But call Sakura-unnie back, she might have something important to tell you.”

Hyewon looks at Minju for a moment before nodding her head, Minju really does look tired. Maybe it was the fact that half of their day was spent outside walking until they found the ice cream parlor and then spending it on the rooftop.

Putting her phone against her ear she glances at Minju, “You good there?”

Minju nods her head, not taking her eyes off the road. “Yeah, no worries.”

Chuckling, Hyewon dialed the Sakura’s number and glanced at Minju. “Let’s not go out for the whole day next time, I’m good at staying in.” She said jokingly.

It brought a small smile on Minju’s face because Hyewon was right. She would never suggest another date that will require almost half of her day – it was too tiring for Minju.

Yeah, maybe staying in is the best date they’ll have without any accidents. It won’t be a problem anyway, spending time with Hyewon in their apartment is the most relaxed she has ever been. It’s an ideal date if someone asks Minju – the ideal person she wants to have a date with.

 

/

 

It was a week after since Yujin saw Jaehyun and as expected, she has received a text from her mother about the said family dinner. Which is why Yujin is currently pulling over to their house, she could see several cars already parked there and she could tell that Jaehyun already arrived.

Looking down at her hand, she’s grateful that she managed to take care of her bruise as it was not noticeable as it was before. Just then, her phone vibrated showing her mother’s caller ID.  She quickly answered it to inform her that she’s already in front their house.

“Oh, that’s great. Everyone is already here.”

Yujin smiles even if she knows that her mother couldn’t see it, “Yeah, I’m going in now. See you in a few.”

Ending the call, Yujin grabbed the wine she bought which is just a 1949 Domaine Leroy. She’s pretty sure everyone bought some expensive things for the dinner and even if wine is the most generic thing to bring – Yujin doesn’t care, it was their house after all.

Entering the house, it was obvious that her parents prepared for the family dinner. She smiles to some of her relatives and bowed a little bit as a greeting, looking around to look for her parents. When she spotted them, she immediately walked over which caught their attention.

Yujin gave her mother a tight hug as well as her father, smiling politely to the people they were talking to. They kind of have a huge family tree and Yujin is not a genius to memorize all of them, but she is polite enough to acknowledge their presence.

“Sorry I’m late, I know I can’t go empty-handed.” Yujin smiled sheepishly as she raised the wine the brought earning an eye roll from her mother.

The older woman grabbed the wine bottle from Yujin and gave her a light smack on the arm, “This is also your house, you grew up here. You shouldn’t have bothered.”

Yujin just stuck out her tongue to her mother and earned a chuckle from her father, “Dinner?”

Mr. Ahn nodded his head and held Yujin by her shoulder as they walk towards the huge table, Yujin scoffs at the number of food present on the table – her parents definitely prepared for it.

Mr. Ahn leaned over Yujin’s ear to whisper, “Blame your mother, you know how extra she can be.”

“Just be sure my favorite is there.” Yujin threatened and earned a pat from her father.

“I’m sure ice cream will be our dessert.”

Yujin then smiles to the guests as soon as her father left her, hugging those who she was familiar with and talking them for a few seconds. This is one of the things she hates about family dinner, the fact that it was expected for her to greet every single one with a smile. It was fine for a couple of minutes but of course, Yujin would be tired to smile all the time.

“How’s the hand?”

Yujin sighed in relief and quickly turned to smile at the direction of the voice, “It’s good but it would be better if you talk to me the whole dinner.”

Jaehyun laughed at his cousin and jokingly touched his jaw, “I don’t know, my jaw kind of – “

Yujin groaned quietly, “You deserved it, you know that.”

“Touché.”

Yujin smiled smugly at the guy and was about to talk when someone called the latter. She turns around only to see Jaehyun’s parents. Yujin’s closeness with Jaehyun was the result of their parents, which is why Yujin also has a good relationship with them.

But after knowing that they are partly the reason why Jaehyun left, the smile she gave to them somehow came out awkward. “Good evening, it’s nice to see you again.”

Seunghun smiled at the young girl, “It’s great to see you too Yujin-ah, how are you doing?”

Yujin smiled politely and gave out a short answer, “I’m doing great with my studies, I hope.”  

Minyoung, Jaehyun’s mother smiles softly at her but Yujin knows that smile – when Jaehyun said that his parents told him to handle their business, she knows it was mostly his mother’s idea. Minyoung and Yujin’s mother are sisters, but they have a huge difference, Yujin and Jaehyun knows that.

Minyoung has always been business-minded, prioritizing it every time there was an opportunity while Yujin’s mother cares more about her family.

“You should do well in your studies, it would be a great help for the busine – “

“I think dinner is about to start,” Jaehyun chimed in, cutting his mother off. He knows that Yujin doesn’t really want to talk about school, the younger girl is great with her studies but she’s not the type to talk about it outside school. “I’ll sit with Yujin here.”

With that, Yujin lets Jaehyun pull her out of the conversation. She nudged the older guy slightly and nodded her head, “Thanks, and no offense. I can’t really stand your mother.”

Jaehyun shakes his head with a smile, “None taken, she gets too much sometimes.”

“Sometimes?” Yujin whispered dramatically which earned a smack from Jaehyun.

“She’s still your aunt so shut up.”

Yujin shrugged her shoulders and pulled out a chair for herself, glancing at Jaehyun as the latter takes the one next to her. “No promises.”

 

/

 

Everything just went great after Hyewon and Minju’s date last week, seeing that they became much more open to each other, often messaging one another and the spontaneous calls became much more frequent between the two of them. Due to their responsibilities – with Minju working and Hyewon studying and working at the same time, the only time they could actually be together is when they are at their apartment.

For others, the time they spend together may not be enough but Hyewon thinks it was alright since they both understand each other – they have their own lives to lead and other things to prioritize. And that’s what she likes with their relationship, the fact that they are still progressing into a great one even with the limited time they spend with each other.

For her, the way they are moving in their relationship is very much perfect as they slowly know more things about one another every time they spend it in their apartment. It is not easy for Hyewon to be vulnerable in front of anyone, but Minju is just that person for her.

And that alone says a huge thing with their relationship.

The time they spend together in their apartment, no matter how short it is or how exhausted their day would be – it is still a time for their relationship and their relationship only. Knowing and discovering new things about one another, sharing stories about their day, and whatnot. It is something that Hyewon has never done with anyone – given that this is her first relationship, but the thing is, she never imagined or thought that she will be doing this to anyone.

Especially after what happened to her – Hyewon knows she’s a handful to handle but Minju is just amazing with her.

“Kwangbae stop daydreaming for a moment and eat with us,” Yena said as she puts some beef on Hyewon’s plate, “You’ll see Minju soon don’t worry.”

Hyewon rolled her eyes at the girl, grabbing some lettuce and making a wrap for herself. She was currently eating out with Sakura and Yena, the older Japanese girl asked her to hangout with them the night during her date with Minju – something about catching up. Which was weird given that they always see each other due to their work.

“How do you think Yujin is doing right now?” Hyewon asked out loud as she munches her food, they all know that Yujin would have been there if not for her family dinner. It has been so long since they last hung out – just the four of them. It seems like all of them have been busy with their lives.

Sakura drinks some water as she chews her food and thinking of an answer, they know that the girl is close with her family but they also know how much Yujin hates those fake family dinners. “I bet she’s itching to get out of there.”

Yena and Hyewon chuckled because they could imagine Yujin’s expression at that moment.

“Well, how about you Kwangbae? How was the date?” Yena said with a teasing tone, raising a suggestive eyebrow at Hyewon. “Your first date, if I may add.”

Hyewon glared at Yena, “So, this is your hidden agenda with this ‘hangout’.” She air-quoted.

Sakura laughs at her not even denying it, “That and we just miss this kind of thing, we haven’t hung out for a while.”

Hyewon nods her head, accepting the reason because it was the same reason why she agreed to go them in the first place. “Well the date went well so, there’s that.” She explained vaguely as she took some cooked meat on the grill and ate it.

She then looks at the two as she didn’t hear any smart comeback, and she was welcomed by an unamused stare from the two.

“What?”

Yena groaned out loud and scooted closer to Hyewon, almost knocking off the kimchi on their table. “When people describe the date as ‘well’, that means it’s the exact opposite.”

Sakura nodded her head, agreeing with Yena’s words. “It sometimes means that the date was boring, so was it boring?”

Hyewon quickly shook her head because frankly speaking, the date was everything but boring. Even if they walked around the mall for hours looking for something to do and just simply getting an ice cream, it was probably the best date ever for her.

Well, it’s not like she has been to other dates to have it compared – but it was the best start she could have hoped for.

“We had ice cream.” Hyewon simply stated and grimaced at how mundane the activity was.

“Your first date is to get an ice cream?” Yena asked carefully and grabbed some meat from the grill and quickly ate it as they wait for their friend to answer.

Hyewon nodded her head, “It was great, I kid you not. We should go the – “

“Kang-chan!” Sakura called the girl’s attention making Hyewon stop talking and looked at her confusedly, “It’s great that you thought of us, but the date.”

Hyewon frowned to herself and bit her lips, contemplating it if she should tell them what happened after the ice cream thing.

Looking up from her plate she sighed before deciding to just say something about it, “I took her to the rooftop.”

She then quickly shuts her eyes as she heard gasps and a clanking of utensils, of course they would be surprised. Hyewon has never took anyone there, other than the place being only exclusive for the tenants of the building – generally, Hyewon never took anyone there.

Sora doesn’t count because she’s her sister and basically live together.

“You what?!”

Hyewon hoped she just kept shut and never mentioned it, because it seems like they’ll be grilling her with question just with the mischievous glint in their eyes.

She’s partially grateful that Yujin wasn’t there because if she was, she knows that it will be much worse than it is now. She’s pretty sure that Sakura won’t too much, but to handle Yena and Yujin? That’s something else, she’s pretty sure she’ll pop a blood vessel or two.

 

//

 

Everyone is almost finished with their dinner, just walking around and engaging one another into any conversation. The only thing that Yujin is looking forward to is her favorite homemade green tea ice cream for dessert, which is what she’s currently eating as she avoids anyone that tries to talk to her.

She is just not in that socializing mood of hers, she’d rather be with Hyewon and the other two than to be there and be formal. Yujin loves her parents, she respects them and all that – but she just cannot do anything at that moment. It feels suffocating as she wears her formal dress among other people.

Which was why she went to the most secluded place in their house, since everyone is either in the living room or dining and talking. Yujin bets that they are either talking about business or flaunting all their achievements – not in a humble way.

She breathes in the fresh air as she walked outside to their garden, her mother takes gardening very seriously – and Yujin won’t complain because it did her good. It’s not lik

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter