Paper

Under our Hopeful Gaze
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Your grades have been falling lately, are you okay?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“We understand if it’s hard on you. If you need someone to talk to, we’re always available…”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Please?”

 

“… Okay.”

 

The lecturer scratched the back of his head with a troubled look on his face. With a final reassurance, he dismissed the student from his office.

 

Kim Minju’s head hung low as she timidly walks through the dimly lit empty hallways. Everything felt dull. Her interest in everything dwindles with every step. It scares Minju, but at the same time, she really couldn’t care less.

 

Minju halted. She took a deep breath as she massaged her eyebrows with her thumb and index fingers. It’s fine. Everything will be fine.

 

Minju rolled her left sleeve slightly. An outline of a small heart on her inner wrist. Her eyes soften in comfort.

 

With another breath, Minju continued walking forward. Her mood was slightly better than before.

 

 

It was raining really bad. Minju was supposed to go straight home but the heavy rain made her change her plans. She's tired. It's been a while since the last time she had a good night's sleep. All she wanted to do was plop down on her soft fluffy bed and dream the night away.

 

“Eunbi unnie gonna be really worried…” She thought to herself as she massaged her eyebrows. Minju was known to be clumsy to a fault. If only she remembered to bring her phone along. She’s a university student now, she needs to get better at things. For her and for those around her.

 

Sighing to herself, Minju sat down at the bus stop. She could’ve just run, but then again, the last time she did she caught a flu for the whole week. After that, her protective older sister forbade her from doing so.

 

If it’s raining call me! I’ll pick you up! Or don’t forget your umbrella for goodness sake.

 

Is what Eunbi said, and now Minju forgot both her umbrella and phone at home so she decided to simply wait until the rain passes.

 

Or maybe she can catch the bus to ride home. She had some spare change for one ride.

 

Raining sounds.

 

It’s calming.

 

Minju occupied herself by observing those around her. Strangely it wasn’t crowded. The place was almost abandoned for some reason. Maybe people just decided to stay home today. There were a few cars, although the sounds of the rain were much louder.

 

It’s a good thing. Being alone sometimes has its perks, it's relaxing for one. Minju hummed along with the beats in her head. Then something, or someone, interrupted her.

 

Footsteps.

 

Running.

 

Who?

 

Minju turned to the direction of the sound.

 

Kim Chaewon.

 

Ah, Minju recognizes her. She goes to the same university but on a different course, who was also a majorly popular singer during her teens. She went on a hiatus a couple of years ago to pursue her studies.

 

Minju can’t believe it's her. Sure she has seen her around, albeit rarely. But this close?

 

Minju knows her, as far as the internet allows. She searched her name, after being continuously gushed upon by her peers. She admits she fell in love at first sight.

 

Who wouldn’t? Her fair skin, her round pinchable cheeks, her soft-looking hair. But most importantly, her clear angelic voice. Minju can’t count the number of times she was saved merely by listening to her songs.

 

After that, she tried searching for her around the campus. Chaewon in real life. Minju only looks over her from afar. In real life, something disgustingly cliché never usually ends the way we wanted. It wouldn't even begin for starters.

 

She could have just approached her, talked, then exchanged numbers or something. They could have been friends. But no, Minju wouldn’t dare. Compared to her, Chaewon was too good. Too beautiful. Too far.

 

It’s better to stop early. So, she drew a line. After all, she’s only a fan.

 

However, now that she’s this close, it felt different.

 

Minju’s heart skipped a beat.

 

Why is she here?

 

What is this? Why are you doing this to me? Minju shook her head.

 

Chaewon is wearing a mask but it doesn’t cover her lovely delicate eyes. She’s pretty. Very. As usual. Almost ethereal even.

 

“Aah… I’m soaked,” the singer said to herself as she took shelter under the same bus stop. “Ugh, I swear the weather report said 90 percent sunny today.”

 

Minju stayed quiet, trying to control herself from staring. She’s nervous. Her idol is there, less than one meter beside her.

 

Few minutes passed in silence.

 

Minju should take this rare opportunity. Before she could say anything, if there’s even anything, a bus arrived.

 

Chaewon left.

 

Minju sighed, a mix between disappointment and relief. Well of course. Now it feels like real life again.

 

Looking visibly upset, she watches at her from a distance as usual. Chaewon took a seat on the bus near the window facing Minju.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter