Chapter 5

Haircuts and Glasses

After about an hour of constant shots and slightly slurred conversations, I was starting to get bored. As Eunhyuk, Donghae, and Siwon talked and laughed loudly with each other, my gaze turned toward the saloon doors and I smoothed out my dress. “I’m gonna get some fresh air.” I stood up. Heechul had moved away from our area and nobody else noticed that I said something. I slowly backed away and made my way toward the nighttime, fresh air.

 

One good choice about moving to the country side was the constant crickets at night and pleasant night air that was completely different from the gaseous city air I was used to. I sighed and leaned against the saloon wall, enjoying the peaceful quiet and looking up at the sky. Small, white stars were scattered all around with small patches of clouds tucked in between them. Then I heard a door open in front of me and I looked toward the city bank. Sungmin walked out of it with the suited-up, nicely styled dark haired guy who was playing poker with the barber earlier today. They spoke quietly and playfully, as if they were sharing dirty secrets. It was hard to hear what they were saying even though I was pretty close to them, but they managed to keep their dialogue undistinguishable to me.

 

The suited guy glanced in my direction and I looked to my side. I didn’t want to seem like I was trying to listen to their conversation. Then I managed to hear some dialogue from them that I could understand.

 

“I’m going to bed.” The suited guy said.

 

“Now? It’s so early!” Sungmin almost sounded like he was whining.

 

“Did you want to come with me?”

 

Sungmin’s face dropped in surprise. “Kyuhyun, what are you saying?”

 

“I’m saying come sleep with me.”

 

“Stop playing.” Sungmin chuckled.

 

“I’m not playing. You can’t sleep in that bank all night.”

 

“I have a room…”

 

“You mean your office? You can’t fool me. I know you don’t have an apartment.”

 

My eyes widened a little in surprise.

 

“I’m fine, really…you don’t have to worry about me.” Sungmin said quietly.

 

Kyuhyun sighed and shrugged one shoulder. “Fine. I guess I’ll go spend this whole pack of money by myself.”

 

“What money?”

 

Kyuhyun smirked and pulled out a thick wad of money.

 

Sungmin gasped a little. “What—how did you get all of that??”

 

“Cleaned out the paychecks of the barber in a game of poker.”

 

“Kyuhyun, that’s not nice! You shouldn’t have done that!”

 

“But I did it for you.”

 

Sungmin blinked. “H-huh?”

 

“You need it badly. Don’t try to tell me you don’t. Here.” Kyuhyun held out the bills toward Sungmin.

 

Sungmin backed away and held up his hands. “K-Kyuhyun, this is…I can’t…”

 

“Just take it. You don’t have to pay me back. Just use it in any way you need it.”

 

Sungmin looked like he was about to cry and shook his head. “This is too kind of you… I simply can’t accept it.”

 

“I’m not gonna move from this spot until you take this money.”

 

They were both quiet for a moment, then Sungmin slowly took the bills and looked at them as if they were about to disappear. Suddenly my entire world went dark as a knapsack was thrown over my head and eyes and my arms were bound together. Taken by surprise, I screamed loudly and was pulled to the side. I lost my balance and fell into a pair of arms that dragged me harshly away.

 

“Shut up.” A low, harsh voice hissed in my ear.

 

Genuinely scared for my life, I stopped screaming but kept my eyes wide open. My breath sped up from the sudden lack of oxygen. I felt like I was dragged away for about a minute until I was forced down to my knees and my wrists were bound together behind my back.