Chapter 10

Haircuts and Glasses

"Why are you so sad all of a sudden?" A low voice hummed in my ear.

I jumped back a little and turned to my left. Eunhyuk was staring at me with a glimmer of worry in his eyes.

I sighed and ran my wrist over my eyes. "I might have to switch towns."

Eunhyuk's eyes widened. "What? Why? Do you not like us?"

I quickly held up my hands. "N-no, that's not it. I mean...I misread my monthly rent rate and I don't have enough money to pay it."

"Oh, that's no problem! All you need to do is get a job! No need to switch towns, especially when you've already made many friends here." He smiled handsomely and pulled me forward.

"What are you doing?" I was forced to walk behind him and he wouldn't let go of my hand.

"I will help you find a job."

For the next five minutes, he dragged me around to various townsfolk and told them my situation. First we went to the sheriff, who was empathetic but claimed his job was a one-man job. Then we went to Sungmin, who quietly confessed that he was barely making money himself and had to stay at the bank every night in order to get by. After Eunhyuk treated him to lunch, we talked to Kangin, who stared at Eunhyuk dumbfounded and literally shooed us away while he tended to his watermelons.

"Why is he so angry with you?" Eunhyuk looked at me curiously.

"I bumped into him once. I said I was sorry." I sighed.

"Oh." He chucked. "Sorry. He tends to hold grudges."

"I noticed."

Next we talked to Heechul, who respectfully turned me down saying that he didn't need any help but wished me luck. When we left the saloon, Donghae approached us.

"What are you two doing?" He waved.

"Jill needs a job so I'm helping her find one." Eunhyuk responded then explained my situation.

"Oh, I see." Donghae thought for a moment. "Well I don't really need any help but I'm sure there's something you can do here."

Eunhyuk's gaze moved toward the blacksmith's shop and rose. "Hey can you do a blacksmith's job?"

I rubbed the back of my neck. "I don't have any experience..."

"Who said you need experience?" Eunhyuk chucked.

Donghae rolled his eyes. "If she doesn't have experience, it won't be good. What kind of things are you good at?" He asked me.

I thought for a moment. "...pretty much anything except blacksmithing."

Donghae nodded slowly and looked around the area.

"At this point I don't care what my job is. I need to make money." I looked down.

Eunhyuk placed a hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry. You will get one somehow."

"Did you talk to the barber yet?" Donghae asked.

Eunhyuk's glanced in Ryeowook's shop direction. "Eh, he's probably fine as he is."

Donghae gave him a look. "Well if you didn't ask, how do you know he's like that?"

Eunhyuk opened his mouth but didn't say anything.

Donghae motioned for me to follow him and we walked over to the barber shop.

"Hey Ryeowook."

Ryeowook turned around from cleaning off his barber chair.

"You know Jill, right? She needs a job. Can you help her?"

Ryeowook blinked and look from me to Donghae. "Uh...excuse me?"

I quietly explained my situation to him. He kept his gaze on me for a moment until letting out a small breath. "I guess I could find something for you to do."

My face dropped in shock and happiness rand in my voice. "Really? Thank you so much!!" I quickly stepped forward and held out my hand for a handshake. He backed away, surprised at my sudden action, but slowly took my hand.

"Just give me time to figure something out." He said quietly, gently shaking my hand. 

"Absolutely! Seriously thank you so much!" I continued to shake his hand energetically. He seemed a bit uncomfortable so I chuckled lightly and stepped back, letting his hands go. "I'm sorry."

He cleared his throat and nodded politely. "It's no problem. I'll let you know by tonight when I figured something out for you to do and then you can start tomorrow. Okay?"

I nodded and bowed a couple times, continuously thanking him.

"Come on, let's drink on your victory. Well, we will." Donghae chuckled.