The Day of the Outbreak- Part II

Outbreak- The Journey To Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
The Day of the Outbreak

 

 

Seoyoon parked the car near the main road. She looked out the window and tried to locate her brother's house. The sky had already darkened and it frightened the girl. She had seen enough movies to know that the night would probably be disadvantaging her.

Normally, Seoyoon would let Akira sleep— normally. However, seeing the circumstances, the brunette thought it would be better if he would be alert, so he could watch her back.

 

''...Akira...Akira, wake up.''

 

A few soft pushes and the boy opened his eyes with a yawn. He rubbed his eyes with a small smile.

''Noona, I had the weirdest dream eve—''

The boy, suddenly, stopped talking; he bit his lip as his eyes followed a strange limping figure near the end of the main road. It was a cat. Or, better said, it had been a cat.

Seoyoon sighed- he probably thought it was all a nightmare.

 

I wish it had been a nightmare, Akira…

 

‘’We’ve arrived. I am going inside to see where my brother and sister are. I want you to stay here, don't leave the car. And, don't try to make any sounds. If you see survivors, DON'T, I mean it, don't let them in. Okay?''

''Okay, noona. But, are you sure you want to go in alone?''

''I won't risk your life, too. So, wait here.''

''But...can't you call him?''

''I did, but he isn't answering his phone, and neither is Rin…''

 

Akira stayed silent. Seoyoon knew he ran out of ideas. She gave him a reassured smile before unlocking the door and shutting it again. She waited until she heard the 'click' sound from the car- indicating it was locked again.

Seoyoon gave Akira a last, determined look before heading into the lion’s den.  Her heart picked up its beat as she tried to use the trees as a cover. After walking for a minute she neared the apartment. She absolutely hated apartments. There was no back exit, there lived a lot of people in them...and the floors were super small…

Luckily, it was an old neighbourhood. The apartments were going to be destroyed later that year; at least, that had been the plan- Seoyoon knew it probably wouldn’t happen anymore. Anyway, that was the reason her brother was able to rent it for a cheap price. The block he lived in was cramped with poor students. Seoyoon sighed as she jogged the last few feet. Luckily, the girl didn’t need a key or anything. The front door was always ajar- the lock had been broken, a while back, in one of the many house parties. .

The brunette pushed against the door with a poker face- making it creek softly. Seoyoon balled her fists as she walked to the second door on her right. She was glad her brother lived on the first floor.

 

1B

 

She read the number on the door and gave it a low knock. She didn't hear a thing so she pushed her ear against it and tried to listen to any sounds. Perhaps, he had already left the block?

Suddenly, Seoyoon flinched. She heard a sound right behind her. The brunette turned around in a flash with her heart beating against her ribcage.   Her eyes glued themselves on a dark shadow. Seoyoon's eyes dangerously widened as her heart leaped into . The brunette couldn’t bring out a sound as she lost balance, and fell backwards with her head against the door. The door opened on impact- making her fall to the ground with a thud.

Seoyoon shook in fear, was she going to die now? She acted on instinct as her arms immediately shot to her head- covering it. After, what felt like a century, Seoyoon slowly opened her eyes and looked in the hallway. The lights were flickering, but, she couldn't see anything threatening.  The girl let out a deep breath. Was she safe now?

Seoyoon lifted her body from the ground and regained her posture. She walked out of her brother's hallway and looked around the corner- reluctantly, but she still couldn’t see anything out of place.

The brunette put her hand on her fast-beating heart as she returned her attention on the main purpose. She turned around and entered her brother’s place again. Seoyoon nodded understandingly as she noticed all the lights were off. That was a smart move; it would be stupid to leave them on. Those things were probably light-sensitive or something. It wouldn’t surprise her. Seoyoon took baby steps in the hallway and carefully peeked through the kitchen door and saw it was empty- to her luck. No threats so far.

The hallway was small and narrow. Two persons couldn't walk through it at the same time. There were four doors in total. The first door on her right led to the kitchen- which Seoyoon had already checked. The first door on her left led to the storage room. The second door to her right was the door of the toilet. And the last door- which was a glass door, led to the living room. In the living room there were two other doors, both of them led to a bedroom. The bedroom to the right was connected to a tiny bathroom, which was, on its turn, connected to the kitchen. The other bedroom was on the left and that one was her sister's.

Seoyoon stood behind the glass door and to her horror she saw two figures lying lifelessly on the ground. Seoyoon felt her face heat up. She gasped, as she feared for the worst. Were those her brother and sister? Were they dead? No, it couldn’t be.

Haruma wouldn’t die so easily, right?

 

Seoyoon narrowed her eyes and tried her best to see the figures clearly, with the lack of light. The brunette let out a sigh in relief when her eyes got used to the badly lit room. Neither of the figures belonged to her family members. The figured were too tall and thin. Seoyoon was about to open the glass door when one figure stood up and walk to the other. The way it walked was so...so unreal. It looked like all of its bones were broken. Though, it was different from the things in her house. These figures seemed more…calm…rational? It made Seoyoon feel nauseous. It would be bad if they were intelligent.

The figure threw itself on the other and started munching on it. The other figure didn't seem to mind- since it didn't pull a single muscle.

Seoyoon covered before she could let out a scream. She slowly backed away. She couldn’t go in now. She had to figure something out. Seoyoon clenched her jaw; she didn’t want to deal with those things. They were probably way stronger, and honestly speaking, Seoyoon didn’t want to die yet.

The brunette held her breath as she decided to check the toilet and storage room. Maybe, she could find something in there, something useful.

Seoyoon did her best to open the door of the toilet without making a sound. She knew, out of experience, that the door would often creek. The brunette did a quick prayer and turned the knob.  She instantly smiled when the toilet turned out to be safe. Seoyoon was about to turn around and check the other door, when suddenly, her bladder decided it was time to use the loo.

After doing her thing Seoyoon stood up without flushing, she wasn’t stupid. One wrong noise and she could end up as food for those weird creatures. Seoyoon cleaned herself with trembling hands. She wanted to get out of this place as soon as possible. She had never felt such a real sense of danger before in her life. It was hard for her to accept the reality.

The brunette sighed as she stepped into the hallway again, she didn’t even bother to close the door. 

Seoyoon went straight for the storage room. She blew a random strand of hair out of her face as she put her hand on the doorknob. Hopefully, there wouldn’t be a creature waiting for her in there. Seoyoon opened the door and let her eyes roam through the darkness. She bit her lip, Seoyoon needed to flick the switch or she wouldn’t be able to check the room. She cursed inwardly, and stuck her hand inside while feeling the wall. Seoyoon, finally- after groping most part of the wall, found the switch and flicked it with her eyes close

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter