Promises

Why Did I Fall In Love With You?

Promises? What are they exactly? According to this dictionary, it means that promises are declarations that one will do or refrain from doing something which also binds people together. When one is entitled to a promise, it is their obligation not to break it. 

But sometimes, they do break it, whether they know it or not.


"Really?" She asked. "You passed? For real?"

Her just told her he passed the audition over lunch. He beams in reply and to his surprise, she grabs his hands and shook them, saying, "I'm so happy for you! Congratulations!"

He blushed, looking away. "Thanks." 

She stops eating and thinks. Then her eyes lighten up and she says, "Oh wait, wait, let's celebrate! Do you need to go right away later?"

"Um.. No. Why?" 

"Oh that's great!" She exclaimed. "Let's go eat later after classes."

"Sure." He smiles. 

"Promise?" She looks up from eating.

For one moment, he stares at her and laughs, going back to eating. "Promise."


"Ah, I'm so tired!" Junsu says, immediately falling on the couch after a hectic day of practice. "Jaejoong hyung, prepare dinner now, I'm hungry."

Jaejoong threw his towel to Junsu. "Try cooking dinner for us, won't you? You lazy ." He said, going to their room. Minutes later, Changmin goes in to the room, with an envelope in his hands. "Hey hyung, mail's for you." He tosses the envelope to his bed and leaves the room. His heart beats twice as fast knowing that maybe Heejin received the postcard he sent her and wrote back. And he was right. He reluctantly opened the neatly sealed envelope and read her letter.


"Don't be shy. It's my treat, I promise." She assured, starting to eat a bowl of kimchi fried rice.

He laughed. "If you say so." 

While they were eating, she hands him over a little box. 

"For me?" He asks, dumbly.

"It's for you, silly. A congratulatory gift from me." She said. "And the rest of the class." She adds, with a little smile.

"You guys shouldn't have." He says as he opens the box and finds a silver necklace with a little star pendant on it. Knowing that his family isn't well-off, he couldn't think of any way to repay them and sits there staring at the little gift. They were only young, in fact they're just 15, and he knew the necklace wasn't just an ordinary one.

"You don't like it?" She asked, worried he didn't like it.

"No, it's not that," he replied. "it's just that... I don't know how to repay all of you guys, and this looks pretty expensive and all--"

"Hey stop that," she said, playing with the box, "you don't have to feel like you owe us or something. It's our gift, so you don't have to give anything back."

He was about to sigh in relief when she added, "Wait, you have to give us something back."

"Give us your hundred percent best on your debut."

This time, he laughs. "I just got accepted. Basically, I'm just a trainee."

"But you will debut sooner or later." She insisted and he realized there was no point arguing with her, so he returns the necklace in its box.

"Thanks by the way." He said, holding the box in his hand. "For this."

"Don't thank me. Thank everyone." She smiled.

Give us your hundred percent best on your debut.

"Promise." He murmured, looking at the necklace.

"What?" She replied.

"Nothing." 

Sometimes, promises need no words spoken or contracts signed. A look in the eye can be a promise.


Hey, how's it going? ^^ I just received the postcard you sent me. It's cute, by the way, and haha! You look so different in that postcard!  Time does really fly by so quickly. Thanks, by the way, you still remembered me. I thought you forgot me and my address. Haha! Just kidding! I never switched addresses, to tell you. 

Anyway, I'm pretty good, working at my father's business. Some things happened, and I had to give up my dream of being a lawyer. But I enjoy office work, too. in case you're wondering. 

So, how's it going? Pretty busy, eh? But I'm glad you're happy doing what you want. Oh my gosh, I sound like a mother, no? Well, seriously. I'm happy and proud of you. ^^

Well, I don't really know what to say since I'm still shocked by the fact that you wrote to me of all people, and it's been such a long long time since we last saw each other. But I'm not saying that it was a bad idea to write to me! I was just surprised me that's all. If you have time, I do want to meet up with you. You know, talk about stuff, and oh, we should! I have something to tell you, so yeah. If you're free, then maybe we can meet somewhere like a cafe or something. Oh well, that's all for now! Reply soon, promise? My number's down there. Take care!!

Heejin.

He reads the numbers written below as he saves it to his phone. He tried calling her but he was out of words. What was he going to say? He was nervous at the fact he was going to call her; Son Heejin, huch more when they're going to meet each other again? And what was that she wanted to tell him? So many questions clouded his mind. But he looked back at the letter and he reads, "promise."

Promise, I will. He says, dialling her number on the phone.