Chapter 9

In Time By Your Side

You cried all night. You don't remember when but somewhere during all the crying you managed to fall asleep. You were so thankful today was Sunday because you looked and felt horrible. You eyes were puffy and red from all the crying and your thoughts were hazy. You almost felt as though everything that had happened was a dream. But it wasn't. And you knew that, even though you wanted to convince yourself it was. You splashed cold water over your face a few times and got dressed. You hadn't even changed from your clothes you wore yesterday, you had just came inside and cried.

You checked on your dad. He was already up and sat at the table looking out the window. You took in a deep breath and cleared your voice, "Hungry dad? How about eggs for breakfast today? In your favorite style, sunny-side up!" you tried your best to make your voice sound stable and cheerful like it usually was. You cracked some eggs which was challenging, you hadn't noticed your hands were still shaking. With each egg you cracked, shells ended up in the mix. It made you frustrated because you never had these problems. You started to feel water rush to your eyes. "Not again... don't get upset over a few eggs.... they're just... eggs..." You thought to yourself becoming blinded by your own tears. You cried silently, you couldn't stop the tears, it was too late. But you couldn't let your father notice either. Would he even notice? You calmed yourself down in time for you to serve him his eggs. "Enjoy!" you said as you started to walk up the stairs. You had to get out of here. You weren't alright and you couldn't stay around your dad. Right now, you needed the happiest energy you could get. "I'll call Kai.. He'll probably meet me." You thought.

 

You left the house and headed for the ocean. There was a shallow cave that no one ever sat in except you and Kai. It wasn't exactly a cave though, more like a small hole in the wall that was big enough to fit you two comfortably. You didn't ask Kai to meet you until later though because you wanted to sort things out a bit. "Forget about him.. Obviously nothing was ever meant to happen. It was all a lie. And this isn't the worst thing that's ever happened to you, _____. You still have a dad that needs more attention than someone who doesn't care about you at all." You thought. "I need to move on. Its only been a week. I shouldn't be like this..." You whispered to yourself, then your mind went blank. Just like that, it was cleared as you watched the calm waves crash into the rocks in slow motion. You just stared into the never ending ocean. An ocean that stretched for miles... and miles... and miles....

"______!" Kai said jumping out of nowhere. You were jerked out of your thought of nothingness. You elbowed Kai and said, "Ya! You scared me." Kai smiled but his smile slowly faded away the longer he looked at you. 

"What happened? Why have you been crying?" Kai said searching your face. You tried your best to keep it emotionless but it wasn't working. You were about to speak but Kai added, "Tell me everything. And don't lie to me. I mean it." You took in a deep breath and thought about it.... Should you really tell him everything...? He was your bestfriend.. he was always there for you... so why not?

"Its.... Don't hate me for this, okay?" You said looking down. 

"Never." He replied, putting his hand on yours.

"Its... just.... well Tao and I went out for ice cream yesterday. Because he was making up to me for ditching me on Friday for whatever reason.... and I thought we were finally friends... But...." You started to get choked up. Kai remained quiet, waiting for you to countinue. You finally got the words out, "But.. it was all a lie.... He was just pretending to be my friend... because of SoHee...he likes her." you said the last words like they were poison in your mouth. Your eyes got watery again.

"If you want to cr-" Kai started but you interuppted, 

"I don't... I don't want to cry..." you said trying to convince Kai and yourself but as soon you said that the tears streamed down your face. You wanted to run away and hide. Its not like Kai had never seen you cry before but you felt so stupid, crying over a friendship that had only lasted for a week anyway. 

You suddenly felt warmth all around you which made you cry even harder. Kai was hugging you. He had never hugged you when you cried like this before. You felt so thankful you had a friend like him. You felt safe and protected. "Maybe if I just stayed by Kai's side... Maybe if I just....." You started to calm down a bit, but your heart started to beat quickly. Your feelings for Kai were still there. You never wanted him to let go. You never wanted to second guess about Kai again and you were never going to. The hug countinued for about 2 minutes then Kai let go of you when you seemed calm.

"Are you at least a little alright now?" Kai asked you, looking into your eyes and rested his hand on the top of your head. You just wanted him to hug you again. You nodded, not able to talk. Without thinking you held your arms out again, gesturing for another hug. Kai didn't hesitate. And once again you were wrapped in the warmth and security of Kai's arms.

"Its okay, just forget about him. You're too strong for this. You've already been through enough, so just forget someone who will forget you so easily. You have people in your life that care about you and love you a lot." Kai said, comforting you. You smiled a little. 

"Like you." You said, quietly. You weren't even sure he had heard you.

"Like me. I will always be here for you, _____. I promise I will never leave you." Kai said hugging you a little tighter.