tied to a destructive spirit

More than Fate or a Contract's Bond

It was ten years ago when I somehow summoned one of the Ten Spyros, considered to be the strongest spirits in the Spirit World, accidentally. All I wanted was to see my mother again or perhaps negotiate with the Thanatos, the supreme organization that brings forthe order within the spirit realm, and somehow give her another chance of living. However, I got a stubborn, walking bomb, Xerxes or Kibum, as I call him instead and since then, my life isn’t as normal as I planned it to be.

 

I was dragged from one battle to another, since we are bonded by the contract. Funny, how fate played with me, when I was younger all I wanted was to be the strongest Spirit Master then I caused my mother’s accident that lead to her death, I vowed never to touch or speak any spells, make circles and anything that has to do with being a Spirit Master/Mediator but I got myself chained to a destructive spirit which makes me use my powers, how ironic.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

“There’s probably a way out of this curse, Zhoumi. Why don’t you cancel the contract?” Henry, my younger brother, suggested, with a worried expression.

We cut classes and hid in the equipment room. I had one of my ‘episodes’ again. I looked pathetic, reduced to a fetal position on the ground, with the dark mark on my back evolving and growing and taking the life force out of me. Kibum’s probably in another battle, somewhere very far for sure.

 

“I can’t do that Henry, even if there is a way I can’t do that.” I said with difficulty.

“That Xerxes should know what would happen to his contractee if he sets off on his own! Doesn’t he even care?”

“Can’t be helped… Kibum’s the destructive kind… just my luck I called out a Ten Spyros spirit… Well, you should worry about yourself, imagine I called out a Ten Spyros as a kid… you have to do better Henry.”

“Inheriting the clan is not my priority damn it! It wasn’t your fault mama died, Zhoumi. What’s the use of learning to be a Mediator if I can’t help you?”

Henry was brought to tears again due to his frustrations. He should’ve been spared from this kind of occupation if I didn’t make that selfish blunder. All I can do for now, is hug him and help him become a greater Mediator than I am.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

“I summon thee, Nereus!” I beckoned as I opened a circle in front of me. Water shaped as lance strikes through the enemy and with the motion of my hand, by my command, it wiped out the weaker minions. The fight was over and I brought down the barrier around the area. The spirit, Nereus, said his farewell and returned to the Spirit World.

 

“I could’ve done everything myself.” Kibum said as he watched me purify the possessed girl.

I just smiled. I had my back at him, I couldn’t see the expression on his face but I could just imagine from his voice that he was irritated.

“You may just be one of the few strong Mediators I’ve met but your body can’t keep this up! Do you know how many opportunistic Skaves are aiming for what remains of your power?”

“That’s why I had Kibum of the Ten Spyros right?” I said light heartedly. “Besides, it is too late now, breaking off the contract after ten years, how much of my life will be taken as replacement for another law being broken?”

Kibum slammed his fist against the lamp post which cracked as he cursed while I smiled.

“This is no laughing matter Zhoumi! Quit being so obstinate and cancel the contract! You could still have at least three years of life with your power.”

“Sorry but I just can’t imagine that the scary, arrogant and destructive Xerxes I knew ten years ago could have this sort of expression… and smaller in height too,”

Kibum had me by the collar with that last statement.

“I’m going to protect you, I won’t let them have you so please bear with the pain.” He said in a softer tone as he pulled himself closer to me.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

It happened when Kibum was summoned away for a meeting, the opportunistic Skaves he mentioned, and boy are they really opportunistic to use this time, came to attack, possessing the weak hearted humans. It was no problem crushing and purifying them but it was the clan that led them was a surprise, to think they were manned by a powerful one.

 

Taking them down and protecting the city as the Prime Mediator was taking its toll on me and had somehow hastened the mark’s progress.

 

 

“Yah! Be careful with the Spiritual Cannon!” Ji Young, the Head of the Dark Bringer clan ordered. “That Mediator still has enough amount of power I need to amplify my own. Can’t believe that bratty Xerxes had him as a contractee.”

And with a wave of his hand, a swarm of evil spirits horded towards the Temple of Lucia.

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

When I come to, Henry’s warm barrier was protecting us. I could still hear the clashing of swords and the cries of death. I probably passed out from the mark’s painstaking progress, no, it was because Ji Young had somehow passed through the barrier I created and drained a little of that power he wanted from me until Kibum came to stop him before he could take away everything.

 

“You shouldn’t get up, Zhoumi!” Henry warned as he both held me down and supported me.

“But if I don’t do anything… even if Kibum is a Ten Spyros… he’d still have a hard time beating Ji Young especially now.” And I fell on my knees as I felt the mark nearing its completion. “Ji Young has already had his powers amplified and the way he’s taking people’s fears and negative emotions as his source, the Ten Spyros are at a disadvantage…”

“Zhoumi you can’t!”

“Henry… I can’t die like this, the mark is almost complete, the least I can do is give what’s left of my powers to end this battle. I’m also giving you a little so you better train hard and be the Prime Mediator fast.”

Henry looked pitiful that it was almost funny. I started with the spell right away, one palm faced down on the ground and the other on my chest, two circles of light formed at both ends as I cast the spell.

 

 

“Zhoumi! Don’t!!!” I heard Kibum cry out my name.

I looked up at him, he was about to stop me, before the light could totally blind the sight from me, I saw his face and smiled.

“It’s now my turn to protect you, Xerxes of the Ten Spyros.” I whispered against the sounds of death and the dying.

 

 

Then everything was engulfed with the light.

 

 

*~*~*~*~*

 

“Zhoumi! Zhoumi!” I could hear Donghae calling me out but I had a hard time waking up until I felt something hard yet small hit my head. “Class is starting.” He whispered. When I saw the teacher I knew I was going to overstay for detention but… was it all just a dream?

 

Everything felt so real.

 

As I straightened up, the teacher started with the usual boring homeroom. I heard the teacher call out my name and I looked his way, but as it turned out he was just telling the transfer student to take the vacant seat beside me.

 

“Zhoumi, what’s wrong? Why are you crying?” Donghae asked.

 

 

I wiped the tears away with the back of my hands. I wonder why I feel so happy to have seen this new student. This is surely the first time we meet yet it feels like I’ve known him for a long time.

 

He returned to the Spirit World and barged in the office of the Thanatos.

“As lovely is this sight is, you know having the Almighty Xerxes bowing and pleading, it might’ve just been enough to have us do what you want but unfortunately it’s out of our hands.” Eeteuk the Head of Thanatos explained off-handedly.

“You know there is another way! So out with it Eeteuk!” Kibum demanded as he slammed his fists on the table.

A devious smile spread across Eeteuk’s calm face.

“Are you sure about that? You’d exchange the eternal pleasure of being a spirit, of a being that never dies? Your status in this world isn’t something easy too. You’d rather trade all that for a human?”

Kibum firmly nodded to everything Eeteuk said without wavering.

“Really? Even if I say that his memories of you and everything else will be erased and there’s actually no certainty that you’d meet at the same time? He could be a baby and you the parent, or he isn’t reborn yet when you become a human and all those tragic scenarios.”

Kibum’s facial expression changed but he already had his resolve.

“It doesn’t matter, as long as Zhoumi lives. Even if we may never meet again, it’s not like you’ll have him reborn as a female right? Because if chances are we’d meet in the most ideal moment, it would just be easy and that won't be so much as a punishment, would it?”

Eeteuk laughed at Kibum’s quick tongue. “Fine, you had me. But don’t expect you’d get back your position when you die, I’d probably be taking you to the depths of Abyss.”

 

With a swift move of Eeteuk's hand, a dark circle materialized from where Kibum stood.

“For Xerxes of the Ten Spyros, who commits the Forbidden for altering a human’s fate is sentenced to banishment! You who sinned will be sent to the Human World to live as a human and die as a human!”

 

Eeteuk cast the incantation.

 

“I’ll be having fun taking your soul to Abyss.” Eeteuk added on a side note. Kibum showed off a silver key that made the sneer from Eeteuk’s face turn into a frown. But before he could take the key, Kibum was already transfigured.  

 

 

“Could you stop crying, you’re making it look like I bullied you before or something,” he said. He stretches out a hand. “I’m Kibum.”

“Zhoumi.” And when we held and shook hands, I couldn’t stop the tears from falling again. I couldn’t explain it. I felt so happy, like I’ve actually been waiting for him and now that he’s here my life is complete.

“Can’t believe a guy as big as you, would actually be a cry baby.” And everyone laughed at Kibum’s joke.

 

Finally… after countless tries I finally found you, Zhoumi. 

 

-THE END-

 

confusing? at some parts, i think so too and it's most definetely fast paced. realizing after having to re-read for any editing that needed to be done. and though i tweaked a little i know there are some terms that are left unexplained, and in all honesty, i was somewhat shocked that i made this sort of AU but then again a different realm or reality is what AU is. another realization is that i added a tidbit something, a sort of epilogue, but i didn't uploaded it in the original site so i'm having conflict withmyself if i should add it here... if there are things you wanted clarified please just comment. i'll answer them probably together with the epilogue if i ever come to a decision to post it up. :3