Chapter 4: The Real You

Between Life and Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

With a silent countdown echoing in my mind—3, 2, 1—I swiftly yanked aside the curtain, raising the vase high into the air, only to halt when I realized the balcony space was empty, without any human presence.

 

"No one's here," I murmured, furrowing my brows. Did I see wrong? But I was certain I saw a figure of a man on this balcony moments ago. I approached the railing, peering down, just in case the man had moved below, but there was no one.

 

Strange.

 

"Jieun?" Suddenly, a voice called out from behind, causing me to jump and swiftly turn around.

 

"Jiyeon-ah," I murmured, quickly lowering the vase from the air.

 

Jiyeon looked at me from head to toe, her expression puzzled. "What are you doing in my room?"

 

My lips stuttered as I replied, "I was...I was searching for you. After leaving school earlier, I waited for you in front of the school gate, but you never appeared. And when I got home, I still didn't see you."

 

"While still wearing your school uniform and carrying my flower vase?" she asked incredulously.

 

I scratched my non-itchy head. "I didn't even have time to change because I was worried about you. And this vase... it's beautiful." Placing it carefully on the small table on the balcony, I decided not to tell her about the figure of the man I saw earlier to avoid scaring her.

 

"If you want the vase, just take it," Jiyeon said nonchalantly, beginning to step back into the room, but her movement halted when I grabbed her wrist.

 

"Can we talk for a moment?" I asked earnestly.

 

 

________

 

 

We sat in silence at the foot of the bed, tension thick between us. Finally, I broke the silence, unab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter