Chapter 1: Jiyeon

Between Life and Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Jieun-ah!" A distant voice called out my name, one I knew all too well. Amidst the bustling hallway of Seoul International High School, I turned towards the sound and there she was – my look-alike twin, Jiyeon, approaching me with eager strides, a smile brightening her face.

 

"Hey, do you know, next week our school is organizing a singing competition. How amazing is that! I really feel like participating. Come on, let's join together," she exclaimed with excitement, her voice barely audible over the chatter of passing students.

 

It's no surprise she wants to take part in the competition. Ever since we were kids, she's had a passion for singing. Although our mother wasn't very supportive of that particular interest of hers, yet she still insists. She said becoming a singer is her dream. She has even created her stage name already, IU.

 

"Jieun-ah...come on," she whined, gently swinging my right hand as I remained unresponsive, the noise of footsteps and conversations surrounding us.

 

I finally shook my head. "No thanks. I'm not good at singing anyway. You go ahead and join." 

 

Hearing my reply, her cheerful demeanor slowly dimmed, as though a sun had been obscured by dark clouds. I notice her shoulders slumped, and her smile faded, replaced by a look of disappointment. She also avoided making eye contact with me, her gaze shifting to the floor briefly before she took a step back.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter