wings

hey, soul sister
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun doesn't go home after her shift. She finds herself standing in front of a patient's room--Wendy's room--and hesitates to knock. Visiting hours are over, she knows that. She told herself she wouldn't bother trying to fix things with Wendy when it was clear the other was determined to make a mess of their friendship. So why is she still here? Why is she still trying even when it seems like Wendy is just playing games with her? 

With a sigh, Joohyun drops her hand that was floating mid-air two inches away from knocking. Inside the room, Seungwan watches her leave between the blinds. 

She hates me, Seungwan realises and quickly gets to her feet to open her door. 

"Joohyun," Seungwan chokes out, not really knowing what to say when the doctor swivels around and a surprised brow. 

"Yes?" Joohyun replies after a moment of silence.

Please give me another chance, Seungwan wants to say.

Instead, the Canadian stupidly utters, "Is Karina around?" 

Joohyun scoffs at her, regarding her with a look of disbelief. "Are you serious right now?"

Seungwan shakes her head quickly and takes a step but stops when she sees Joohyun flinch at the move. "I wanted to talk to her is all," she begins with a swallow. "To end things with her. Seulgi told me I can't block her and call it a day so."

"What, are you sick of her already?" Despite her dislike for the intern, Joohyun can't stomach the disrespect to the girl, especially from Seungwan. 

Seungwan blinks at Joohyun's bluntness and replies, "I understand now why you were so upset. I want to show you that I'm serious about you."

"You lost that chance, Wendy," Joohyun says and shakes her head bitterly. "To think I wasted a whole decade pining over you."

"Joohyun, please."

The doctor brings forth her palm to her up. "Just call me 'Irene,' at this point, Wendy. I know you prefer it these days anyway." She turns around to leave but this time, Seungwan doesn't let her go.

"Joohyun," Seungwan grunts out and sees Joohyun pause in her spot, not looking back. "Something... Something's been going on with me recently. I can't go into details but it's the reason I've been acting so strange. What I can tell you is that I want to be with you. You've been the first and last thing on my mind every day for the last ten years. I've written so many songs about you, you've heard so many of them." Joohyun turns around at that and she continues. "I messed up. Badly. I can't promise that I won't make more mistakes but I can promise that my soul wants to be with you and only you."

"How am I supposed to believe anything you say?" Joohyun asks calmly, but her voice cracks and she clenches her fists to stop herself from tearing up. 

Seungwan shrugs and takes a tentative step. Joohyun doesn't flinch at that so she takes it as a sign to continue speaking, "You can't. But we've known each other for a long time. Despite what's going on with me, I hope you don't choose to throw away all that time we've spent together." Joohyun doesn't know what t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter