Chapter one

That One Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I got a message from my friends saying that they’re still in class. I looked at the time and saw it was just past 10 in the morning, so there’s still one more hour before they get dismissed. I actually don’t have any plans to attend classes today, but knowing that my father is at home and after what happened, I decided to leave the house so I could spare myself from having to deal with him. Especially when I can’t really fathom being in the same place as him.

 

I sent them a reply saying that I'd just wait for them at the cafeteria before pulling out the mirror in my purse to check my appearance. Once I was satisfied with how I looked, I signaled to my driver. He only nodded in response before making his way to the other side of the car to open the door for me. 

 

As I made my way out of the car, I noticed a few eyes gazing my way. But the moment my eyes met theirs, they’d instantly turn away. I ignored it and went on my way since they have no relevance to me.

 

There are specifically two ways in which anyone would react when they see me: either they bow their heads as I walk past them, or they would run away out of fear. It was something I am already accustomed to—especially when everyone is aware of my reputation. 

 

‘Remember, Katarina, as someone who carries the Yu name, you should never let anyone look down on you.’ Those were the words that my father had told me when I was a child, yet ironically, he was the first one to look down on me. Ever since I had lost his favor, people began to look down on me all because they knew my oh-so-great-father would never spare not even the tiniest span of attention to me.

 

And I hated it. 

 

I hated how people stared at me with judgment and pity. 

 

I hated how I was ridiculed for being labeled a disgrace to the family. 

 

Most of all, 

 

I hated how helpless I looked when I saw my own reflection in someone’s eyes.

 

I couldn’t bear the thought of having to endure living a life like this, so I had to take measures in my own hands. 

 

And that was by inflicting fear. 

 

I became insufferable. I caused scenes, I made a fuss about anything that triggered me, and I made sure no one would ever look at me straight in the eyes without fear in them. And although my reputation got worse, at least they now know to never mess with me if they want to live a peaceful life. 

 

There were a lot of available tables when I got inside the cafeteria, but I went to the spot near the window where there wasn’t much crowd. If it were a normal day, I’d sit at our usual table that’s located in the middle of the cafeteria, but I wanted to see a different scenery. 

 

I was lost in my own thoughts when a bunch of women suddenly sat at the table behind me. Jesus, they are so loud that I could even hear their conversation about their taste in men! I decided to just let them be because I am not really in the mood to make a big deal out of how noisy they are. Also, there’s only a few minutes left till class is over, so I might as well go to our usual table and just wait for my friends there. I was about to stand up and leave, but I suddenly heard my name being mentioned. 

 

"Nakita niyo ba ‘yung kumakalat na video—‘yung kay Karina Yu?" One of the girls suddenly asked. They’re suddenly talking about me? 

 

"The one na namahiya ng staff? Grabe ‘no? Muntik na mawalan ng trabaho ‘yung mga staff dahil sa kanya." 

 

"The necklace doesn’t even look like it suited her." 

 

"She probably just wants to flaunt her wealth since it was a new collection from Cartier. Very typical of someone as spoiled as her." 

 

"Parang mas okay kung fake na lang isuot niya, tutal ganun din naman ang tingin sa kanya ng pamilya niya—walang kwenta." They suddenly burst out of laughter at their friend’s remark. How infuriating. 

 

"Akala mo kung sinong—oh my god!" The one behind me couldn’t finish what she was going to say when I poured my drink over her. 

 

"Who the hell do you think—Miss Y-yu?" Loud gasps could be heard from the other people present at their table when they realized my presence. 

 

"I’m sorry, my hand slipped," I said as I smiled at them.

 

"I-it’s okay, Miss Yu. I’m sure it was an accident." One of them replied, not even meeting my gaze. 

 

"That’s a relief. Then, you can continue what you were about to say." They went silent and began exchanging frightened looks with one another. Do they think I’ll let them off the hook that easily? Unfortunately for them, they’d be on the receiving end of my wrath today. 

 

"How dare such insignificant beings like you talk loudly behind my back?" 

 

"M-miss, it’s not what you—" 

 

"Why are you stuttering now? Go on, talk like you did earlier. Or did you perhaps forget how to speak?" I said as I leaned closer to her. Look how pale this girl in front of me is right now; it’s like the blood from her face was out dry. 

 

"If you’re going to be submissive in front of me, you should’ve kept your mouth shut in the first place." Ang ingay ingay nila kanina tapos ngayon para silang biglang nawalan ng b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter