Prologue

That One Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"...Miss."

 

"Young miss," I slowly opened my eyes, only to be welcomed by the harsh sunlight coming from the window. How annoying! I turned to the other side of my bed, covered my face, and tried to go back to sleep once more. 

 

"Please wake up, young miss," Theo, our head butler, said in a stoic voice. I ignored his remark and continued to get some shut-eye. "Young miss, you need to—" He didn't get the chance to finish his words when I threw a pillow directed at him. 

 

"How dare you disturb my sleep?" I snarled at him. It hasn't been a few hours since I slept after going home from a party last night, and getting woken up like this is making my mood foul so early in the morning! "Your reason for waking me up better be a good one!" 
 

"Your father demands you to come down this instant, Miss." Hearing what Theo had just said was enough for my day to get ruined in an instant, and I couldn't help but groan in frustration. God, I don't really want to face him right now or ever. 
 

"What does he want this time?" I irritatingly asked as I combed my hair using my hand. 

 

"I was only asked to get you, Miss." I could only heave a sigh at his answer. 
 

"Tell him I'll be down after cleaning myself up. Now, get out of my room!" Theo nodded and bowed before leaving. 
 

I decided to get out of bed, but when I stood up, I felt dizzy. Just how much did I drink last night? Parang sasabog na ang ulo ko sa sobrang sakit! I could only groan my frustrations away while I forced myself to get up and drag my feet towards the bathroom so I could prepare myself. I don't want to keep my beloved father waiting, after all. 

 

When the entrance to the dining area opened, what welcomed me was the sight of my family already seated, as they were minding their own business. My eldest sister, Irene, was sipping on her tea while my father was reading a newspaper, covering his face as usual. Ate noticed that I had arrived and turned in my direction.

 

"Good morning, Rina." She greeted me with a smile like she always does.  

 

"Good morning to you too, Ate," I said back as I made my way to my seat. The moment I got seated, the maids hurriedly went to prepare my meal. My brows furrowed when I took a sip of tea they had just given me. I raised my hand, and one of the maids hurriedly went to my aid.

 

"It's cold; make me another one," I ordered.

 

"Right away, Miss," the maid replied before heading out.

 

Thankfully, it didn't take her long to come back to give me my new drink. Mabuti naman kasi hindi na nga maganda ang gising ko, and the least I want is to have my mood get worse than it already is. They wouldn't want me lashing out so early in the morning, right? As I was enjoying my freshly made cup of tea, my father finally put down what he was reading and immediately faced me. Great, here we go. 

 

"You're late, young lady," he said with a stern voice. 

 

"It's still early in the morning, dad," I answered, not facing him while I tried to enjoy my meal. 

 

"I told you to go here the instant Theo came to get you. Was my order not clear?" 

 

"I had to freshen myself up first before I went here. You wouldn't like it if I presented myself to you in a shabby manner, right?" I answered, still not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter