Chapter 11

The Trouble Is You

Chapter 11

 

Trouble 

 

 

I think I did well on the exam today. I am confident with my answers and arguments. I kept on re-reading my writings, trying to find something that could give me low points, I then smiled with satisfaction. I can ace this test. 

 

I sighed and stood up to submit my test exams. 

 

“You may leave the room.” Our exam proctor said as I hand him my test paper. 

 

I nod and left. I didn’t even look at Jiyong yet I saw him on my peripheral view looking at me. I guess he’s just amazed that I finished earlier than him. I mean, I’m smart so hell yeah, I’ll finish fast. 

 

Or he’s just confused as to why am I avoiding him since the other day.

 

I don’t want to be a but I just can’t. Let’s be honest, I don’t want to talk to him. I don’t even want to look at him. Heck, it’s so hard for me to admit and accept that I like him— admitting it feels so confusing and hard! Like admitting that I like him feels like I am eating a fireball. It hurts. It burns. Not just my ego but also my pride. I promised to myself that I won’t like someone else; I promised to myself that I won’t be attached and catch feelings and yet… 

 

And yet, I saw him with someone else. Damn it! My bruised ego! My damn pride! I felt so… stupid. I was there, accepting the fact that I like him despite my promises, and yet I saw him with someone else! 

 

I even debated on myself. What if that girl is just a friend? Or bestfriend? But he hugged her! And the way he held her and look at her, there’s a sense of familiarity. Of comfort. And it doesn’t make sense if he’ll tell me that it’s just a “friend”! 

 

Or what if it’s just a cousin? Or a family relative?  If it is, then I’ll be damned. Because right now, I am so ing jealous even if I don’t have a right! 

 

I should have known. I should have seen this, way way back from the very beginning. He’s a playboy! He plays the same game with me. Jiyong is so damn attractive and it’s impossible for him not to have a girlfriend. Or him not seeing someone else. Or not having a fling! 

 

Damn it. I know, I don’t have a right. It’s just… me. I’m just playing with him. And damn it all, I lost to my own game. The only positive thing is that no one knows that I like him. 

 

I gathered my things and went out of the classroom. The exams were done for this week. Mock-trial exams will be held on Friday afternoon. After that, this semester is already done. I will be getting my long-awaited 2 months long vacation. I should be excited and focus in finishing this semester. 

 

“What should I do with my vacation…” I excitedly whispered as I walk towards the parking. 

 

I’m planning to go to our beach house and spent a week there to relax. Maybe organise a beach party. Now, that seems exciting and I should really look forward to! 

 

“Hey, wait up. Dara!” 

 

I stopped and looked back and saw Jiyong running towards me. His bag is on his left shoulder. He looks… dashingly handsome on his black fitted dress shirt. . His tattoos is making him 100 times hotter. 

 

“Hey…” I said. Monotone. Unassuming. Nonchalantly. As I should. 

 

“You’re so fast!” He commented. Is he referring to my exam or walk, I don’t care. 

 

I just shrug and continued walking. So much for being friendly. I don’t want to associate myself with him. Seeing him reminds me of my stupid realisation, of my feelings for him. And my bruised ego. 

 

I gritted my teeth. Damn it. 

 

For the first time in my life, I admit to myself that I like someone and yet that person is dating someone else! Like, come on! I’m such a loser! 

 

“Dinner? What do you think?” He inquired as he walk beside me. 

 

“I’ll be eating at home.” I simply replied. Still, wanting to walk away from him. 

 

“Hmm. How about now? Coffee?” 

 

“I’ll be going home now.” 

 

“Why?”

 

“I’m busy.” 

 

Damn it. Just… go away Kwon Jiyong. Stay away from me. 

 

“About what?” 

 

“Studies.” 

 

“But we’re done—“

 

“Mock trials. I need to re-read the case.” 

 

“But you’re already good at it—“

 

I paused midstep and looked at him. “Will you please stop following me?” 

 

Jiyong looked at me, confused. He shook his head and gently pinched my cheeks. “Why so grumpy?” 

 

I stepped back and looked at him with disgust. How can he touch me so…. freely when he’s dating someone else? “Will you stop?” 

 

Now, Jiyongs eyebrows furrowed as he look at me. “D-Did I—“

 

“You’re annoying.” I rolled my eyes at him and continued to walk away from him. 

 

I don’t really like people who are already taken but wants to be “overly friendly” to other people. Like come on! I don’t want to be associated with that kind of people! My life is already complicated and I don’t want another scandal. 

 

I was about to enter the elevator when Jiyong grabbed my arm and— ! He is dragging me! My small body is being dragged by him. Jiyong isn’t muscular but I know he goes to the gym, with my brothers. He is strong and he is dragging me like I’m just a small twig! 

 

“What the— Jiyong!” 

 

He took me inside the vacant classroom and locked the doors. My breathing hitched. No, no! 

 

“What do you want?” I coldly asked. I don’t want to be with him! Argh! 

 

“What’s with your attitude huh? Why so grumpy?” 

 

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arm. “Why do I need to explain it to you?” 

 

“Because it’s frustrating me! We were cool the last time we talked and now, this?!” 

 

I sighed. “I don’t think being friends or being associated with you makes my life comfortable. Look, this is what you want right? From the very beginning. For me to stay away from you. Now, I’m… ending this friendship or whatever we have.”

 

“Why?” 

 

“Why why?” 

 

“Why the sudden decision?” 

 

I paused for awhile. Will I tell him that I don’t want to be associated with him because he’s currently dating someone? Yes, I should. So he’ll know that he’s not doing good deeds. Heck, this is micro-cheating! 

 

“Because your girlfriend won’t like seeing us together knowing that I am a playgirl—“

 

“My— what? Girlfriend?” 

 

“Yes. I don’t like it—“

 

“Woah, woah. Who told you that I have a girlfriend?” 

 

“It doesn’t matter—“

 

Jiyong laughed and gently pinched my cheeks. There’s a glimpse of happiness and awe in his eyes. “Well, it matters. And for the record, I don’t have a girlfriend. Geez. If I have one, I wouldn’t give you even a glance.” 

 

“Then, who’s that girl?” 

 

Jiyong looked at me confused. “Girl? Huh?” 

 

“The other day. The girl in the parking lot.” 

 

“You were there?” Jiyong is now grinning at me. Like he heard something funny and amusing at the same time. 

 

“Yes.” 

 

Damn it. Why are we even having a conversation like this? Why does it feel like I’m a jealous girlfriend interrogating him? . Me? Girlfriend? Is this the end of the world? 

 

“Oh, god.” 

 

Jiyong suddenly pulled me closer to him. I was dumbfounded and terrified! ! I tried to push him but he pulled me even closer to him. And he’s just laughing at me while… hugging me tight! 

 

This is not the first time I was this close to him yet I feel nervous. No way in hell I’d allow myself to be this close to him after knowing he’s with someone else! It’s disgusting! I won’t tolerate this! 

 

“Jiyong back off!” 

 

“She’s not my girlfriend for s sake.” He said while laughing. “That’s my cousin, Jennie. Damn it.” 

 

I stiffened. Cousin? Huh? What the—

 

“No way.” I mumbled as I stepped back. . 

 

He chuckled. “Yes way.” 

 

He let go of me. He is now smiling from ear to ear. I looked away because damn it, that’s ing embarrassing! 

 

“We can meet her if you want. Oh, wait.” 

 

Jiyong grabs his phone. He starts to scroll and then handed me his phone. I saw a family picture. His family is huge. 

 

“See? These are my cousins. And this…” he pointed at the girl I saw at the parking lot. “… is my cousin. Her name is Jennie and—“

 

“R-Right. W-Whatever.” 

 

I fixed my dress and bag. Damn it. This is ing embarrassing. I want to disappear in an instant! . 

 

“Now, you’re not grumpy anymore?” 

 

I looked away trying to hide my embarrassment. “I’m not grumpy, okay.” 

 

“Then, jealous?” 

 

My eyes widened. “J-Jealous? Me? Are you ing kidding—“

 

“Yes, yes. Deny it my Queen!” Jiyong said as he laugh his heart out. 

 

“Whatever!” 

 

I run away. Yes, that’s the only thing I can do as of the moment. To run away from him. Damn it. How on earth did I arrive to that conclusion? 

 

“. .” I cursed as I enter my car. “Where’s the ‘give him the benefit of the doubt’ and ‘innocent until proven guilty’? Huh?!” 

 

I hurriedly drove as fast as I can! Away from Jiyong. I can’t face him again. And this time, because of the realisations I have. . Me? Jealous? ! I am so doomed. 

 

 

 

 

 

“YOU WHAT?” Chaerin said as she put down her cup of coffee. 

 

We are now at a Coffee Shop and I just told her everything. Like everything! From the Friday Night “ buddy proposal” up to the embarrassing event earlier. 

 

“. It’s ing embarrassing.” 

 

“Of course! You assumed things!” She laughed. “You nasty little girl! And the drunken proposal? Really? That’s ing hilarious!” 

 

I rolled my eyes at her. “Fine, I was wrong. I must admit I jumped to conclusions. But you can’t blame me!” 

 

“I agree but at the same time disagree.” Chaerin said. “I mean, jumping to a conclusion means bad bad. In any sense. You could have ruined your own blooming love affair—“ 

 

“Shut up. It’s not!” I denied. 

 

Chaerin giggled. “Whatever. But I must commend you for admitting to yourself that you really like him. That’s one big step.” 

 

I pouted. Chaerin knows my beliefs when it comes to relationships— and she doesn’t agree to that. She’s a hopeless romantic. She’s a firm believer of fairytales and happily ever after. 

 

Well, I do believe that love exist. My parents love each other. I can see and feel it yet… I am cynical. I just can’t see myself loving someone. More like, I am afraid of loving someone. It feels like it’s a trap. A huge investment. A huge responsibility. A commitment. And I hate responsibilities. I can’t see myself being committed to love and everything that accompanies that. 

 

“I know.” I sighed. 

 

That was ing embarrassing. I assumed! And I accused him! Heck. I don’t have any rights to do that and yet… . 

 

“Well, that’s part of loving—“

 

“I don’t love him!” I angrily cut her. 

 

Chaerin laughed. “Fine, fine. Part of liking someone.” 

 

“I can’t seem to face him again. . It was a disaster Chae! Damn it. ing… stupid!” I covered my face with both of my hands. 

 

I wanted to cry. I want to disappear. I want the earth to devour me. And send me to the blackhole. . 

 

“Come on. It’s fine.” 

 

“You can say that because it’s not you who did it.” I glared at her, making Chaerin to laugh again. 

 

“You can say that but based on your story, it seems like Jiyong doesn’t seem to mind. In fact, it feels like he’s enjoying it. Teasing you and knowing you were… jealous.” 

 

“Oh, . I don’t want to go to school the next week.”

 

Chaerin just laughed and listened to all of my bulls. I kept on ranting about what happened earlier while she’s doing her work. 

 

“My grades won’t go down if I skip the mock trials exams right?” 

 

“The heck.” Chaerin commented. “Just get over it. Pretend that nothing happened. You’ll really give up good grades just to save face huh.” 

 

I pouted. Of course not! I’m just so embarrassed. . 

 

My phone vibrated and saw Jiyongs name flashed. 

 

“.” 

 

“What?” 

 

“He texted.” 

 

Chaerin shrieked. She’s even fanning herself with her hand. “Lemme see. Lemme see.” 

 

 

 

Jiyong: 

Hey. Where are you? 

 

 

 

I bit my lower lip. Gosh. Why is he even texting me again? I just want to evaporate right now! 

 

“Send a reply. Tell him you are here!” Chaerin convinced me. 

 

“No way!” 

 

“Come on! It’s not like you’ll—“

 

“Heck. No way!” 

 

“Whatever.” 

 

I bit my lower lip as I try to calm myself. Chae is right, I can just pretend that nothing happened. Yes, that’s it. I’ll just talk to him like I usually do and just stop flirting. 

 

Gosh. The ‘ buddy’ proposal and then this? What did I do to deserve this kind of embarrassment? Maybe I should transfer to another school for the next semester. But Dad and Mom will ask me. What should I tell them? Gosh! This is stressing me out! 

 

“Dara, I need to go.” Chaerin suddenly said as she put her laptop inside her bag. “Important call.” 

 

All of a sudden? Confused, I just nod at her. “Take care. I’ll just… stay here for awhile.” 

 

Chaerin kissed my cheeks. “Thank me later.”

 

I looked at her confused. “Huh?” 

 

“Anyways, bye! And enjoy.” 

 

She’s really acting weird most of the times. I was waving at her when I saw the only person I don’t want to see as of the moment entering the coffee shop. . 

 

“Hi, Attorney.” 

 

Damn it! Chaerin you little sneaky girl! You did it again! 

 

“Oh, hi. Good timing. I’ll be leaving so you can accompany my best friend.” 

 

I eyed her but she just laughed at me and went out. I awkwardly smiled at Jiyong who’s sitting comfortably infront of me. 

 

“Hi.” He said with a grin. 

 

“Why are you here?” 

 

“Oh, I was just passing by.” He playfully said. 

 

“Passing by my …” I mumbled. 

 

I ignored him and just scroll through my phone. I don’t want to face him yet! It’s still fresh. The embarrassment. . 

 

“Do you want to eat something?” He asked me. 

 

I shook my head then ignored him again. Yes, just ignore him so he’ll leave. 

 

“Okay. I’ll be right back.” 

 

When he got up, I immediately texted Chaerin. 

 

 

To: Chaerin

You traitor! 

 

 

 

From: Chaerin

You’re welcome, my best friend😉 

 

 

To: Chaerin

I hate you. 

 

 

 

I wanted to leave so bad but it’s rude. . I felt his arm on my shoulder as he pulled the chair beside me. Again, those stupid zoo in my stomach. Just one touch and everything is going wild. 

 

“I just ordered cookies and pasta since I don’t know what you want to eat right now.” 

 

I ignored him again. . 

 

“Uhm, I have to go. Mom is looking for me.” 

 

“Really?” 

 

I nod. Sorry mom. I just lied. “Y-Yeah.” 

 

“Then, let’s go.” 

 

I looked at him. “Huh? Why?” 

 

“Huh?” 

 

“Why are you going? You just got here.” 

 

“Because you’re going…?” 

 

I sighed. “Just… finish your food before going will you. A lot of people were starving.” 

 

“So you’ll stay?” 

 

What can I do? Damn it. “ing—“

 

“No cussing, my love…” 

 

I closed my eyes as I grit my teeth. This is really trouble. Damn it. If I kept on accompanying him, this will turn into something more troublesome! And it’s something I can’t accept as of now. 

 

“Stop…” 

 

“Hmm?” 

 

“I don’t want to play this game anymore, Ji. I’m sorry if I kept on pestering you.” 

 

Yes, I am a coward. I… don’t know if I can still withstand Jiyong’s advances. I can feel it inside of me, I am starting to… succumb to his charms and trap. He is a greater player of this game, I must admit. Damn it. 

 

I look at him in the eyes. His eyes were intense. And I am drawn to his intense stare. I felt my insides churn. 

 

“I don’t want to be involved with you.” 

 

“Hmm. Why?” 

 

“Just because.” 

 

He leaned closer and I can feel his body heat. I can smell his addicting perfume. I can feel the intense stare from him. . 

 

“This won’t be settled with ‘just because’ now, Sandara. Because I… want to play this game with you.”

 

My eyes wide opened. “N-No. i was just teasing you, Ji. C-Come on. Be a sport—“

 

“No. Now that there is no alcohol in your system, let’s talk about your proposal last Friday night.” He said with huge grin. 

 

Damn it. I am in trouble.