fate seemed to like to play around and screw them over

Cruel Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With a guitar on hand, Minjeong starts to play some chords on her bed. She hums to the melody of the song that speaks really well to what she was feeling. 

 

Feelings she has for a certain raven-haired girl.

 

We were just little kids, 

we were ambiguous

My crush was serious, 

it's crazy how

As we were growing up, 

I could just set you up

But it just wasn't love, 

 

She also feels exhausted. Exhausted about everything. She just wants to sleep, but she can’t. Her mind was still racing, especially after her talk with her best friend.

 

It has been hours since then, but Minjeong hasn’t moved on. It felt nice that she was able to share it to her best friend and have her understand what she had gone through. She felt like a huge boulder was lifted from her back, and she questions herself for not sharing it sooner. I guess I didn’t want to remember it anymore, and yet, because of the recent happenings, it’s like her past was now coming back to haunt her. 

 

I guess it starts

Never a life for us, 

life just knocked up on us

You got a girlfriend and stuff, 

feelings are bottled up

Hide 'em in this song, 

took the key and locked it up

But when I see you again, no, I can't even pretend

 

“Minjeong Unnie, you don’t have to make this decision now. You’re still very emotional,” She understood what her best friend had said. She was indeed emotional and making decisions now is not a good thing to do, but even if she’s in the right mind, her decision will still be the same. 

 

Minjeong needs to let go of Jimin. She knows how hard it is to do that, but it is the right thing to do.

 

It's always you I go back to, 

I know it's danger

It's always you my heart runs to, 

but I'm a stranger

 

Baby, what happened? 

What am I to do?

Wanna move on, 

but I'm scared of losing you

 

I can't seem to master the art of letting you go

No, I can't seem to master the art of letting you go

 

She sings the chorus of the song one more time. More slowly, as she strummed the strings of her guitar. Feeling every word, as the song strongly resonates with her. At the end of the last note, she sighed heavily.

 

She loved Jimin all these years. Even after she distanced herself years ago after the rejection, she still loved her from afar. She could have let her go a long time ago, but she couldn’t. Knowing this, how can she let her go now when she’s still very much in love with her? I’ll eventually move on, she thought. She needs to.

 

She got up from her bed, with her guitar and went to her workplace. She puts her instrument on its stand. As she was about to leave, she saw the song sheet under her laptop. It was another copy of the song she wrote for the raven-haired girl years ago. She took it out and read one of the verses. 

 

...You're my everything

I want to protect your days and nights...

 

It made her remember when she heard the melody of the song being played by Jimin. It was the end of their classes that day and she forgot to get some of her stuff from her locker. She passed by the music room, only to see Jimin playing the song she composed to Ryujin, who was sitting beside her. That sight broke her, as the song was hers. A song she wrote for the raven-haired girl. And she sees her muse playing her own song for someone else. That shattered her heart to pieces.

 

She sighed once again as she returned it back.

 

She had hurt her heart time and time again because of Jimin. She doesn’t blame her, it was all her choice to love her. To love a person who was never hers. It was she who let her heart get beaten up, time and time again.

 

However, she can’t do that anymore. 

 

It's time for a change.

 

As much as she loves the raven-haired girl, she now needs to put herself first and take care of her heart.

 

She doesn’t know how she’s going to be there as a friend of Jimin while also trying to let her go, but she will push through. She always does.

 

She was about to settle down on her bed when she remembered her best friend's words before she left, “Unnie, you should check your phone later. I think you made a lot of people worried today. Maybe do an apology message tour or something.” She took her phone from her bedside and turned it on. 

 

As predicted, she did get some messages. She’s thankful it wasn’t that many. However, what she didn’t expect was the number of messages she would get from Jimin. She must be really worried, she thought.

 

Jimin (10:20 am): Hi Minjeong, good morning.

 

Jimin (10:21 am): Do you want to come over? And hang out?

 

Jimin (10:23 am): (removed message)

 

Huh, a removed message? Minjeong was curious as to what Jimin removed. She continued to scroll down…

 

Jimin (12:01 pm): I invited Yizhuo and Aeri for a movie marathon. If you’re interested, you can always come by.

 

Jimin (1:11 pm): We chose to do a movie marathon of Ghibli films. Didn’t you say before that you like them? We're currently watching Howl’s Moving Castle. 

 

Jimin (1:25 pm): You must be really busy. I won’t bug you too much.

 

Jimin (1:30 pm): Just...don’t forget to take care of yourself.

 

Jimin (1:35 pm): (removed message)

 

Another removed message? Minjeong furrowed her brows in confusion. This was so not Jimin to just remove messages without any clarification afterward. She can’t seem to figure out what could possibly be the messages and thinking too much about it made her head ache. I really need to rest.

 

Rather than focusing on the removed messages, Minjeong decided to send the raven-haired girl a message first, before the others, informing her what she did that day. But I can't tell her about what really really happened, that would be a disaster. As much as she doesn't want to lie to Jimin, she needs to come up with some lame excuse for her other girl’s worries.

 

----------

 

Jimin had been staring at her phone since the moment she laid her eyes on it. After her being MIA yesterday, Jimin had low expectations for the blonde girl to breathe again and message her.

 

But she was proven wrong.

 

Minjeong (1:15 am): Hey.

 

Minjeong (1:15 am): I want to say sorry for not replying sooner. I made you worried. I wasn't able to charge my phone on time.

 

Minjeong (1:17 am): I was with Wendy Unnie and Yeri the whole day and I just forgot. I'm sorry.

 

Minjeong (1:20 am): About your offer, Ning visited me and told me about the movie marathon but I was too tired. I’ll definitely hang out with you guys next time.

 

"You know, your phone will definitely combust if you keep on staring at it nonstop." Jimin looked up to where the voice came from, only to see her old sister smirking at her. She rolled her eyes and put her phone away to focus on her breakfast.

 

She was trying to process the other girl’s message. It was to be expected of Minjeong, but at the same time, she’s personally a bit disappointed. It seemed Minjeong was unbothered by the breakup, she thought. She understands that people have different ways of handling a breakup, but she was expecting that Minjeong would at least have been bothered by it, like her. She can’t be the only one affected by all of this. However, the fact remains that their supposed relationship was just fake, to begin with. I guess I overreacted. We were not even officially together together and yet I feel like I lost a lover. She sighed to herself, get a grip, Jimin.

 

"You know, the egg is supposed to be eaten, not be played with," Jisoo interrupted her thoughts once again with her comments. She rolled her eyes before glancing at her amused older sister, "What is it that you want, Unnie?"

 

"Nothing. You're just too serious and out of it even though it's still in the morning. Is there trouble in paradise?" Jisoo nudged her playfully, but it only made Jimin feel worse. Her sister's comment reminds her again how she still needs to tell her family about the breakup. “Wait, you guys are not on good terms?”

 

“It’s not like that,” She frowned at her sister and focused her attention on her food. She just hopes her sister would drop the teasing. “OMG!” Jisoo was shocked, “nope. Nope. I will not accept this. You guys should work this out, okay. I don’t care if my love life is failing as long as yours is not.” 

 

“Unnie-”

 

“Nope. You know what? Lemme call Minjeong.”

 

“Wha? No, Unnie!” Jimin was about to snatch her sister’s phone when Joohyun and Seulgi re-emerged from the kitchen to bring out more food. “What are you guys fighting about?” Seulgi smiled as she looked at the sisters. “Jisoo Unnie being nosy again.”

 

Rather than retaliating, Jisoo stopped pestering her youngest sister and stood up from her seat, “I’m done eating.”

 

“What? You haven’t finished your breakfast Unnie.”

“Jisoo,” Joohyun said in concern.

 

Without looking at anyone, “I’m full already.” The middle Yoo immediately brought her plate to the kitchen and did her part in the dishes before preparing to go out. “I’ll help out in the store,” she monotonously said.

 

“Unnie,” Jimin doesn’t understand what was happening. One moment, Jisoo was still teasing her about Minjeong and then suddenly became cold when the others came. She looked at her older sister, only to see a frown on her face. “Joohyun Unnie, what’s going on?”

 

She gave the youngest Yoo a comforting smile, “Don’t mind her, Jimin.” She wants to listen to her big sister but Jimin knows something is definitely off.

 

Ever since her family came home last night, the air around the house changed. She tried to ask Seulgi about it last night, but the latter only gave her a small smile and expressed that nothing was going on. Something’s definitely off. She doesn’t know why they are not sharing it with her, but whatever it was, Jimin hopes everything will be alright soon.

 

After eating, she also prepares to go to the store and help out. She was now allowed to go out so she’s going to make the most out of it.

 

As she was about to leave her room, her phone suddenly rang, indicating she received a message. She checked it out only to be shocked to see a new message from the blonde girl.

 

Minjeong (9:20 am): Good morning, Jimin. I hope you have a good day today. 🙂❤️

 

She didn’t expect this.

 

She thought that after their break up, she won’t be able to receive these kinds of messages, and yet, here it was. She felt somewhat relieved, knowing that nothing seemed to have changed. She suddenly remembered the blonde girl’s words to her the other night, “I guess, my position just got demoted from being Yoo Jimin’s girlfriend to Yoo Jimin’s friend.”

 

From being my girlfriend to a friend, huh. At least that is better than becoming strangers again. “I promised, didn’t I? I’m here to stay, by your side.” Minjeong’s words gave her comfort.

 

Minjeong is here to stay. 

 

She kept her word.

 

She will not leave her anymore.

 

Jimin smiled at the thought of it and replied,

 

Jimin (9:23 am): Good morning to you too, Minjeong. I also hope you have a wonderful day today. ☺️☺️❤️❤️

 

---------

 

Minjeong’s parents had arrived after days of delay. Good thing, she was able to clean the house before they arrived.

 

"How's our baby?" Her dad asked her during lunch. 

 

She smiled, "Everything’s well, Appa."

 

"You weren’t lonely here alone?"

 

"Not much. I had some things to do to keep me busy."

 

Her dad nods in understanding, "that's good to know."

 

"Minjeongie, you weren’t able to buy groceries yet?" Her mom inquired. The only child cheekily replied, "I actually forgot about it." She gave Minjeong a knowing look which made the blonde girl playfully nudge her mother, "I'll do the groceries later, Umma. Don't worry about it."

 

"Speaking of groceries," her dad interjects, "you should do them at the Yoos so that you can deliver the souvenirs we bought for them."

 

"Oh, okay Appa."

 

"While we are on topic, how are things with you and Jimin?" Minjeong froze as she didn't expect her parents to ask her about it. "Uhh…"

 

"I'm very thankful for her as she keeps on giving me updates about you as you don't reply often," her mom expressed. "You should invite her and let's have dinner together."

 

Minjeong doesn’t know what to say. She was reminded how she lied to her parents about her relationship with Jimin and now she feels guilty as they really liked Jimin for her. She knew since yesterday that she needs to tell her parents sooner about the breakup, but she's not ready for the reactions of her parents.

 

Here goes nothing, "Uhh...Umma, Appa."

 

"Yes, dear?"

"What is it, baby?"

 

Minjeong heavily sighed, "Jimin and I broke up."

 

Silence surrounds them. It was clear to Minjeong that her parents were taking their time in swallowing the information. She expected this kind of response but she's still nervous. "Umma-"

 

"You broke up with her or she broke up with you?" Her mom quietly asks. She gulped before softly replied, "I broke up with her."

 

"Why?"

 

Ah, it dawned on Minjeong that both she and Jimin hadn't talked about this. They haven’t discussed the possible reason they would give to people as to why they broke up. It's not like she can easily admit to everyone that she broke up with the raven-haired girl cuz she got rejected again.

 

That won't make sense.

 

She cleared as she tries to come up with a reason on the spot, “Uhh...it’s because...uuhhmm, we were better off as friends.”

 

“Friends?” Her dad chimes in.

 

“Yeah.” Her parents looked at each other as if they were sending telepathic messages to each other before looking at her again. "That’s understandable. I mean, that also happens to a lot of couples," her dad said in understanding.

 

“Are you okay, dear?” Her mom asked as she reached out and touched the blonde girl’s hand.

 

“Huh? Ah, yeah. Of course, Umma. I’m okay.” Her mom squeezed her hand in assurance, “You know you can tell us anything, right?” She felt touched, loved by her parents. It makes her want to cry on the spot, but she knows she can’t.

 

“I know, Umma.” She gave her mom an assuring smile. Her mom glanced at her dad once again before looking back at her, “Okay.”

 

She felt relief when her parents immediately dropped the topic and moved on. Minjeong won’t deny, she felt less burdened now that she told her parents, but she won’t also lie about how she almost broke down in front of them. If her parents pushed her more about the topic, she might break down again, and she doesn’t want that. Yesterday was enough, she thought.

 

----------

 

Jimin loves working at their store. It was labor, yes, but she liked it. 

 

Their store had become one of the most popular grocery stores in their town even though it was fairly new. It was all thanks to all of the people who helped them. After all, it was through this store that they were able to pay off all of their debts and them being able to afford to go to college.

 

She was casually helping out in the cashier area when she heard her sister suddenly exclaim, “My sister-in-law!! I miss you!!” Sister-in-law? She looked over to where the commotion was, only to see her older sister embracing the blonde-haired girl, Minjeong?

 

It’s been days since she had seen the other girl. She can’t help but want to leave her station and see a glimpse-

 

“Excuse me, Miss,” Jimin looked over at her customer and realized she stopped punching the prices of their items. “Oh, sorry.” She mentally slaps herself for losing her concentration. I still have a job to do. Jimin, concentrate.

 

As she finishes all of her tasks, the raven-haired girl sighs heavily. Suddenly, a soda drink and a change were placed in front of her which confused her until... “You must be tired.” She looked up only to see the person she wanted to see the most, smiling brightly in front of her. Minjeong, “A little bit.” She smiled in response.

 

Their hands brush as Jimin accepts the soda drink. She immediately felt electricity flowing through her veins, sending chills all over her body and she doesn’t know why. It’s not like this is the first time their hands touched. She immediately looked away as she blushed. What is going on with me?

 

She heard Minjeong cleared . “You look well,” the blonde girl expressed, “I’m glad you recovered for the better.”

 

“Thanks,” Jimin timidly answers as she looks down at her soda drink. Definitely taking her time in opening it. She still doesn’t know why but she feels a bit shy around her. She took a sip of her drink before speaking again, “uuhh, ah...what are you doing here?” She glanced up to Minjeong, only to see the other girl staring at her, ”If...you don’t mind me asking.”

 

The blonde girl blinked a couple of times before answering, “ah, yeah, well...” She pointed back to where Jimin first saw her, “My parents just got home today and they bought some souvenirs for you guys. I gave them all to Jisoo Unnie.”

 

“Oh, okay.”

 

“Yeah,” she sees the blonde girl scratching her ear, Jimin can’t help but stare at her. “ah, also, I need to do some groceries.” 

 

It took a few seconds before the words of the blonde girl registered in Jimin’s brain, “Oh,” she clears , “Oh, uhh...do you...do you need some help with it?”

 

“Uhh, no, it’s okay,” Minjeong animatedly declined the offer, “I think I can manage.”

 

“Oh, okay,” Jimin smiled a bit at her, “I guess...see you around?” She sees the blonde girl slowly back away, “Yeah, see you.”

 

When the blonde girl was out of her sight, she sank to the ground, hiding behind the counter as she hid her face with her hands. Holy crap, that was so awkward. 

 

She touched her face and realized how it was heating up, why am I a blushing mess?!?! We were just talking. What the heck? 

 

As she tried to calm down, she suddenly realized her heart was beating too much. Why is my heart beating so fast?!?! She tried to ease her heart by caressing it and controlling her breathing, but then she remembered how the blonde-haired girl smiled at her and how amazing she looked. So casual but still so cute and beauti- Aaaahhhhhh! She ruffled her hair. Her heart was already beating hard, but after her mind was flooded by a lot of thoughts about Minjeong, she felt like both her mind and heart were about to burst.

 

They're supposed to be friends again, she shouldn't be feeling this way. How can she acts normally

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter