Part 1

Merry Go Round (discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Minjeong finally stepped into the shower. 

 

Water began flowing through the strands of her hair, then her body. Its temperature, almost too hot, each drop made her skin red. But unlike her nickname Winter, she enjoyed the heat more so this early in the morning, and when the shower started to fog, she felt the urge to shut her eyes and her mind. 

 

She flushed her thoughts, much like the draining water while heeding to its sound in an attempt to keep last night away from her memory. Yet, the more she wishes to forget about it, the more she is reminded of the words she least expected to hear. 

 

“I’m sorry Minjeong, but we need to break up.”

 

It has always been a bumpy road for her and Jeno but that drive back home felt like a bad rollercoaster ride. An unprecedented vision she didn't think would come about. 

 

It was quiet at first, the muted sound of the radio as the background, both of them unknowingly in preparation for the drop to come. 

 

After witnessing an all too familiar scene unfolding, she thought whether, at some point, she would be the first to shout after the plunge. But much like before, she felt it was something so common, now a pattern, they would eventually get tired, stop the fighting and everything will be as it used to. 

 

When both of them fell silent again, she assumed the ride was over, yet another track was looming, leading them to a much bigger, steeper fall. 

 

Jeno was the first to shout, his voice ringing with all the blaming and guilt-tripping. He went on until he had his fill before finally bringing the ride to an end. Words she attempted to hold spilled without much thought shifting the air around them. 

 

Hearing the ultimatum he declared sent Minjeong into a crying mess. Unable to find her words, she fled the car and went straight to her apartment with hands fumbling to find the key to her much-needed solitude.



///



Heading to work was the last thing Minjeong desired. It’s been two days since the breakup and she found herself in a bed of soju bottles and unopened beer cans after getting awoken by her phone. It was the eighth missed call from Ning Yizhuo or Ningning as everyone calls her, her coworker, and closest teammate. 

 

“Unnie? Where are you? You haven’t replied since Friday. Is everything okay?” Ningning’s voice laced with worry over the phone. 

 

“Oh, Ning it’s you.” Minjeong scratches her head, still aching from the hangover. “Yeah, uhh, Jeno and I broke up and I’ve been having too many drinks these last nights.”

 

“Oh my! I’m so sorry unnie. Do you wanna take time off work? We’re supposed to welcome the new hires today, but I can take over if you want.”

 

Ah right. The new hires will be starting today and Minjeong is part of the mentor committee that's been tasked to coach the new people in their team. She certainly isn't in the right mind to do this, but after realizing the pile of mess around, she needed an escape from the walls of her room where her tears and regrets have built up the past days. 

 

“No, that's unnecessary. It’s just a breakup, Ning. Besides, I need a distraction and I need to get myself out of the house,” 

 

“Okay..are you sure you’re gonna be fine, unnie?”

 

“I’m sure.” Minjeong pauses and looks at the time, “I’ll be there in an hour. Could you grab a coffee for me please?”

 

“Okay, latte?”

 

“Yep, and make it large. Thanks, Ning!”

 

Minjeong stood up from her bedroom floor quickly tidying up the mess to try and make it look 'normal' again. She takes a quick shower and slips into the easiest business wear she could find — a beige long-sleeved top and dark high waisted pants. She puts her blonde hair in a ponytail, pats in a bit of makeup, and grabs her bag from the nightstand. Not really in the mood for heels, she picked up the black leather loafers to finish her look before exiting her apartment to head for work.

 

Right after arriving at the building lobby, Minjeong scans her card and makes her way to the elevators. While waiting for the next lift, she turns up the music in her ears and eyes the clock above the second elevator door, its hands pointing to seven minutes past nine. A queue starts to form, with everyone trying to get to work before the next wave of rush hour.

 

Her internal humming ended as she felt a light tap on her shoulder prompting her to remove her Airpods. She faces back and sees a tall, fair-skinned woman, causing her head to move up higher than she's used to. 

 

Beautiful is the first word that came to Minjeong's mind. This woman's face, adorned with cat-like eyes, rounded lips, and a beauty mark just below it, she almost missed the words she's about to speak.

 

"Hello miss, sorry to bother you but, is this the right elevator to the 15th floor?"

 

Must be her first time here.

 

"Yes, this one is for the odd-numbered floors. The other is for the evens."

 

"Phew, thank you! I couldn't get what the receptionist said since I'm in a bit of a rush." The tall woman replied, a hint of panic visible in her eyes as she scrambles to wear the ID that’s been dangling on her hands. 

 

"No problem," a nonchalant reply but Minjeong kept a mental note of her. 

 

The elevator arrived and the next queue of people shuffled in. Minjeong places herself at the back knowing her stop is one of the last ones. The tall girl follows and stands in the middle, her height almost blocking Minjeong's view of the door. 

 

I should've worn those heels.

 

The crowd dispersed as the elevator went up making its way to the next stops. Her headache resurfaced signaling its desire for caffeine and so Minjeong moved to the front as the ride prepared to halt. She pressed the button to hold the door open, faced the tall girl, and put her hand out motioning the arrival to her destination, their rather. 

 

The girl bowed with a smile as she exited and Minjeong followed quietly. Her not so careful steps made a sound to which the girl jolted.

 

“Oh, this is my floor too,” Minjeong answers as if an invisible question was thrown by the girl from the way her eyes went wide. 

 

“Ah, I see..” She stops and lets Minjeong lead the way to what seems like the only entrance on the floor.

 

“Come in, you must be one of the new hires.” 

 

“Yes, thank you miss, I’m-“

 

“Save the introduction for later. You’re gonna be doing that non-stop today. I bet you’ll thank me after.”

 

Before the girl could nod and utter another thank you, Minjeong cuts her again and points her to the reception area where around seven people are alread

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter