Polaroids - sachaeng

To All the Girls I've Loved Before

For a second, Chaeyoung thought she had died. Her breath was too short, the bright blonde hair of Sana were too… bright and the really nice voice of the Japanese girl was too joyful after the intense musical session she just had with Mina. 

 

She let herself slide on the floor, her back against the fountain, her hands holding her head. 

 

« You must be mistaken, I’m not… Chaeyoung ? My name is K- » her lie got cut off when Sana swiftly grabbed her chin and made her look her way. She softly pressed her thumb on the younger’s mole, right under her lip. 

 

« I only know one Chaeyoung with a pretty face like yours and this tiny, wonderful detail. » she smiled as Chaeyoung’s cheeks reddened. « You haven’t changed at all. »

 

She gave a hand to the short girl and helped her stand up, before offering the water bottle she had in her bag. Chaeyoung accepted with a shaky hand, still feeling the slightly burning feel holding the other girl’s hand left on hers. 

 

Sana was still smiling widely, and Chaeyoung felt shy under the older girl’s gaze. The only solution she had found to feel less panicked with the girl was when she was hiding behind her camera, taking pics, turning Sana into her own fluttered work and not the other way around. Her former photography partner asked her a few basic questions : what she was studying, if she knew what future job she wanted to do, if she was still taking pictures. 

 

Chaeyoung answered simply that she had decided to study law, but was still drawing and did a few photography projects on her own in her free time. They easily slipped into small talk, and Chaeyoung felt as confortable as when she used to hang out with Sana a few years ago. She learned that her friend actually tried to contact her back after the phone accident she wasn’t aware of, but never managed to get into contact again - as they both knew it. 

 

« However, i’ve met that girl, who told me she knew you… » 

 

Chaeyoung thought of Tzuyu first, and then Jeongyeon. 

 

« She had cute bunny teeth, and-» Chaeyoung jumped from her seat. « Woah ! »

 

« Was her name Nayeon ? Tell me that wasn’t it ! » Sana slowly nodded, a confused expression on her face. « Oh, God. Did she, did she give you something ? »

 

« No, nothing in particular, just… an headache. » Sana smirked at the worried Chaeyoung, and the short girl instantly felt better. « She gave me a whole speech about herself and the school. She seemed y but I’m sure she’s just hiding her real personality… happens a lot. » Chaeyoung found that hard to believe. « Was she supposed to give me something ? »

 

Chaeyoung looked like a deer caught in some lights again.

 

« No, no ! But if she comes at you with an envelope, refuse it. It’s one of her lame pranks… she’s my step sister, so I’m very aware of what she can do. » she had been bouncing her leg a lot, and Sana was looking at her with an eyebrow up.  « You know ? » an awkward smile. 

 

« I don’t, but okay. I’ll try not to take if if she offers me one… curiosity might win over me, though. » she chuckled, but Chaeyoung still managed to scold her a bit : she couldn’t accept it ! It could be dangerous ! For her mainly, but she would not tell one of her former crushes that.

 

Sana mentioned how she had decided to buy a camera of her own after she lost contact with Chaeyoung. She had visited multiple stores, and had settled with a polaroid one ; it seemed to be easy to use, its design matched her tastes and she thought the concept was incredible. She showed the few ones she had taken recently to the short girl. 

 

Chaeyoung squinted her eyes when she thought she saw a girl that looked like Momo, but it couldn’t be possible. Surely the girl had changed a lot, and she couldn’t be in the same university as her. She blamed the.. hallucination, on the fact that she wasn’t wearing her glasses. She felt panic creep on her neck again when Sana mentioned that she had her camera with her. She really didn’t want to hear - 

 

« Let’s take a selfie ! »

 

She wanted to refuse, but Sana looked overly excited, her pretty shining eyes and warm smile stopping her from turning down the request. She shook her head and gave a sly smile to her lost-and-found again friend, making her dimple appear and Sana softly poke it.

 

It looked a bit ridiculous, to hold the big polaroid camera in front of their faces like it was a phone. Chaeypung mocked Sana when the older girl squealed in panic when she almost dropped her precious camera. It reminded her of their first meeting, when the Japanese girl had almost knocked out of its pedestal a famous art piece. Chaeyoung wondered what would have happened if she hadn’t been here to stop the girl from stumbling too far back. 

 

She blinked when she heard a sudden clicking noise, and pout when she saw Sana had taken a pic of her without asking first. That was the first rule they had established : never take a pic of the other without getting their approval first. And the wicked smile on Sana’s face told her that she exactly knew what she had just done. 

 

« Let’s take that pic already ! » she tried to sound annoyed, but it was something she couldn’t do when it came to Sana. She tried to complain when the older girl squished their cheeks together to take a pic, but she just ended as a giggly mess. 

 

She hadn’t felt that light hearted in a while, and she couldn’t explain it. Sana had that power of making anyone feel conformable near her, like she had always been a friend you could count on. But Chaeyoung couldn’t just tell her the truth about the letter, and it weighted on her a bit. 

 

She left the girl after the picture clearly appeared on the precious paper, and Sana gave her a crushing hug before they parted ways. The younger girl had to met up with Tzuyu. 

 

It suddenly hit her that she had met 2 of her former crushes under 2 hours. What would happen next ? Would Nayeon give the letters away ? Would she now discover that Tzuyu had met either Momo or Jihyo, and tell her about it ? Would she learn that one of them lived across the hallway, right in front of her dorm room ? 

 

Her worriers got answered when she sat across the table and warmly greeted her best friend, before Jihyo, the one and only, passed in front the restaurant they had chosen, meeting her gaze and almost crashing into a tree after losing control of her skateboard.