Collaboration

Oil on Water Burns (UNB x Reader)

About a week had passed since the graveyard event. You were lying in your bed, staring up at the ceiling while your boredom and lack of motivation to get up battled with each other. Your internal struggle was interrupted by a tap at your window. You glanced at the glass in dire need of a cleaning to see a pigeon on your sill, pecking insistently at your window.

You sighed and got up, grumbling to yourself as you swung the window open, letting the bird hop inside. Predictably, it had a small scroll tied to its scrawny leg with a string. You slipped off the note and the pigeon took off back out the window.

You sat back down on your bed and uncurled the letter.

 

Your aid in a criminal investigation led by the Paladins of Waterdeep has been requested. Please report to the Spires of the Morning for more information.

- High Paladin Oh

 

You raised a brow questioningly. What could the paladins want with you? You hadn’t ever received a request for help from the authorities before. They always have their own, internal resources, whether within the church or the city guard, whom they worked closely with.

You shrugged and got to getting ready, making sure to look a little more put together than usual to meet a high paladin. Once you were satisfied with your look, you skipped out the door.

It was a particularly nice day. The weather was comfortable and the sun pleasantly warmed your face as you waltzed over the cobblestone streets. The scenery of wood and canvas shifted to one of stone as you entered the castle district, where those with money made their residence.

You briefly paused as you neared the entrance to the temple. The path up to the main door was lined with statues holding beautiful balls of light that resembled the sun. At the end of the path stood the one of the most glorious buildings in the city, second only to Castle Waterdeep. The sparking, pink marbled, three story cathedral rose into seven twisting spires capped in copper, silver, and gold. The light that hit the spires radiated across the sky in a magnificent display. It always managed to take your breath away.

You nervously combed your hands through your hair, painfully aware that the light makeup you had put on your face had done nothing to make you look presentable enough to step anywhere near this building, and that your black on black attire made you stick out like a dark spot on the sun. Nevertheless, you walked across the path and through the massive, open doors.

You presented your letter to one of the paladins on guard and were ushered past the glittering statue of a winged figure in the main area, past places to purchase items of holy power, past rooms to acquire healing, and finally to a series of doors marked the personal offices of the higher ups of the church.  He opened the door labeled with a plague that read High Paladin Oh. You thanked him and stepped inside.

Windows lined the walks and the only pieces of furniture that decorated the room were a bookshelf and a long table, at which a man sat patiently. He was decorated in very polished, fancy armor and a soft smile.

“You’re quick,” he said. “Take a seat. The others will join us shortly.”

You awkwardly sat down. “Um… High Palad-“

He interrupted you. “Call me Gwangsuk. That title is dumb.”

“Gwangsuk,” you amended, “why did you call me here?”

“I’ve heard a lot about you. Kennor Silverbeard, the head of the adventurers guild, personally recommended you and after hearing from Adept Kim about how instrumental you were in the fight in the graveyard, I felt like I had to ask you to come.”

It took you a minute to realize that Adept Kim was Kijung. “In that case, I’d be pleased to offer my services, but despite the recommendations, I’m not sure if I qualify.”

“That’s nonsense. I can tell by the way you carry yourself that you have power. Don’t think negatively, only positivity.” He put his hand on your shoulder and you felt a little bit reassured. He rolled his head back and sighed. “The other two I contacted probably have business to wrap up before they can come. It may be awhile. Feel free to make yourself comfortable.”

Taking the invitation, you got up and looked over the office more closely. A piece of art on the wall immediately caught your attention and you stepped in front of it.

It was largely blue and yellow with bursts of magenta accenting various features. It was covered in smiley faces, hearts, arrows, and other unfamiliar symbols. The suggested years of practice and it filled you with a feeling of contentment bordering on joy, especially with the dripping white words in the middle that read “Good Vibes Only” in the center of the piece.

"This is beautiful. Where did you get it?” you asked while admiring it.

“My hands,” he laughed. “I made it.”

“It’s lovely.” You breathed.

He chuckled. “Nah, you’re just saying that.”

You tilted your head to look at him over your shoulder. “I’m an artist, myself. I can recognize talent, and you have it.”

He lit up in excitement and leapt out of his chair. “You’re an artist, too? Let’s paint something together!” He excitedly bounded for a closet, his head cutely bobbing in happiness.

“Wait, what? Now?” You said, startled.

“Yeah, why not?” He placed a large canvas and some paints on the table and handed you a brush. You smiled; you were interested in this side of him.

He dipped his brush in the can of yellow paint and you dropped yours in the black.

Your brush worked together in harmony. They danced around each other like painting side by side someone was the most natural thing. You consciously fought the constant distraction of how close you two had to stand to work together on the same canvas, but as you continued to paint, you found yourself pulled into the art. The rest of your surroundings melted away and Gwangsuk was a comforting presence.

Before you knew it, you were both placing your brushes down and stepping back to admire your work. The way the yellow and black collided was the day piercing through the night. Everything worked together to create a stunning piece- the colors, the harsh , the delicate paint splatters, the bird motifs you had sprinkled throughout the painting. It was something that deserved to be displayed.

“Wow” he breathlessly said.

You nodded, confirming the mutual awe. “Do you mind if I keep this?” You asked.

He looked at you closely. A smile s across his face. “Only if you paint another one with me again some time so that I can have one.”

You matched his smile. “It’s a deal.”

At that moment, your attention was drawn to the door as it creaked open and a blonde headed elf peaked in.

“Did I miss anything?” he asked. The smile that he wore was one of the most amazing you had ever seen. The room almost physically brightened.

“Just the most epic art collaboration in history,” Gwangsuk said as he put aside the painting to dry.

The newcomer walked into the room, revealing his very elegant blue and red robes. From the metal plate over his abdomen bearing the symbol of Blackstaff Tower, you could gather that this was Euijin Lee, the head of Blackstaff Tower.

Euijin leaned around the table to look at the painting. “Wow… Next time, invite me.”

Gwangsuk laughed. “You were invited, you just took forever.”

“I’m earlier than Hojung.”

“True.”

You watched Gwangsuk begin to clean up the mess from the paints.

“Do you want help?” You offered.

“Nah, you two get to know each other. I got this.” You nodded and sat down next to Euijin.

“Hello!” Euijin greeted you, flashing you another one of his killer smiles. “I’m-"

You cut him off. “Euijin Lee, master of Blackstaff Tower, right? You're young for a master of a guild.”

His smile widened and he extended his hand toward you. “I am but I'm also older than I look. The elven lifespan keeps the wrinkles at bay. What’s your name?”

“(Y/N)” You said, taking his hand.

“Oh!” He lit up with recognition at the sound of your name. “You’re the one Chan talks about all the time.”

“That would be me.”

“You’re a shadowdancer? I’ve never met one before.”

“Neither have I” You replied. You had heard of shadowdancers, those with the ability to manipulate shadows, before in stories but it was apparently a very rare gift.

“I can’t wait to see what you can do. You’re an artist, too?”

“Ah well it’s a hobby. What are you hobbies?”

“I dance!” He moved his body in a quick little display. Each section of his arms seemed to move in isolation as they locked up before moving into a new position. It was a style you had never seen before.

“Woah!” you exclaimed. You looked him over, searching for metal plates or wires. “Are you a construct of some sort?”

“No,” he laughed. “I’m just an elf.”

“Your dancing is amazing.”

“Thank you,” he laughed. “What’s your favorite food?”

You blinked at him as he rapidly changed the subject again. He had the attention span of a squirrel but he way he looked at you made your breath catch a little. It was like you were the only one in the world. He hung on every word you said and the way he kept asking you questions at such a rapid fire pace gave you the impression that he genuinely wanted to know everything about you.

You told him your favorite food and he was about to ask another question when Gwangsuk finished cleaning up and sat down with you and the door opened again. In strode another armored figure, this one in platemail bearing the symbol of the city guard. His face drew your curiosity. He had features that you had never seen before. He had the slightly pointed of a half-elf but instead of the lifted, delicate elven facial structure, his features were quite strong. His body was also a lot more muscular than your average half-elf. If that wasn't enough to draw your attention, his skin had a green tint to it.

“Welcome, Hojung,” Gwangsuk said.