The Mission

Oil on Water Burns (UNB x Reader)

The newcomer slightly smiled at Gwangsuk and nodded. He pulled out the chair across from you and sat down. The leather bound metal of his armor gleamed in the light streaming in through the window.

“(Y/N), this is Guard Captain Hojung. He will be joining us on this task. Hojung, this is (Y/N), the person I told you about.”

“Nice to meet you,” you said, extending your hand across the table to take his.

His large hand enveloped yours. His hand was rough from the countless battles he had likely been in with the greatsword strapped to his back. “Nice to meet you, too.”

Were those small tusks you caught a glimpse of behind his lips? You had heard of Hojung Ko, the Guard Captain. The rumors surrounding him were varied and many. On one hand, he was said to be courageous and loyal to the city. On the other hand, people said he was terrifying and fierce. It didn’t help that he was very reclusive. Even the lower ranked guards knew little of him. He was often sent on private missions by the commander of the guard.

Looking at him now, you began to suspect that the negative rumors were baseless, founded only on his appearance. And it was quite a unique appearance. His features had some resemblance to creatures you had encountered in the wilds but as muted as Hojung’s features were in comparison, you couldn’t quite place it. He still looked mostly half elven and, you had to admit, his exotic appearance enhanced his looks. He didn’t appear intimidating to you.

Gwangsuk continued his meeting. “I called you all here because I would like to request your help in stopping a group of cultists that we have discovered. We don’t know how long they have been operating or how extensive their following is. Hojung, I am unsure yet which of our jurisdictions this falls under so I would like for you to accompany me. Euijin, I suspect that demonic activity may be involved. Your arcane knowledge will come in handy. (Y/N), I heard you’re quite good at getting around places unheard and unseen. I think we may need skills like that.”

You all agreed to help and after getting all the information from Gwangsuk, you immediately set off together.

 

* * * *

 

You found yourself walking next to Hojung, but he was silent and his eyes were fixed forward. Was he shy? Serious? Did he not like you? You found yourself spending a lot of time looking at him, at his features and his dark eyes that glistened like water.

He glanced at you from the corner of his eye. “Orc,” he grunted.

You blinked at him. “Pardon?”

“It’s orc blood. I’m 1/4th orc. That’s why I look like this.”

You realized you had been caught. “Oh, sorry, I didn’t mean to stare. And I was thinking about something else."

“Oh really? What were you thinking about?”

You felt your face heat up and you bowed your head, unwilling to admit that you had been admiring him. “Do you like being a guard captain?” You sputtered out and immediately wanted to smack yourself for coming up with such a lame cover-up.

He smiled at you. “Yeah I like it a lot.”

He seemed to be unaware so you continued the line of distraction. “Was it difficult to join the guard?”

“Do you want to join?”

“Maybe!” You were internally screaming at yourself. You hadn't intended to mislead him so much.

He scratched at his slightly stubbly chin. “The training process is usually pretty long but that can sometimes be bypassed with a recommendation letter from a high ranking officer who has seen your skills first hand.” You nodded and let the conversation drop, too ashamed at how you had screwed the conversation. You continued the walk in silence.

 

* * * *

 

You arrived at the house of the suspected cultist. The worn and neglected house seemed empty. It was barely hanging together. The small patch of lawn was overgrown and termite infested boards were falling off of the siding. Gwangsuk tried the door, locked. He turned to you. “Can you pick this?”

You had no skill in picking locks. “That’s not really my thing.”

Gwangsuk raised his boot, ready to bash it in. You grabbed his arm before he could. “I said I couldn’t pick the lock. I never said I couldn’t open the door.”

You padded around the side of the building, opposite the sun’s rays, to a window. You slipped through the shadow of the building and into the dusty single room house. You unlocked and opened the door to reveal the shocked faces of the three men.

Euijin’s face lit up first. “That’s the power of a shadowdancer!” He exclaimed, wrapping his arm around you. “Do it again!” He said gleefully.

“I think I should save it for when I need it. I can’t do it infinitely,” you replied.

Euijin looked like he understood and you thought you had gotten out of it until you heard Gwangsuk clank into the room. So much for being sneaky. “No, do it again!”

“No!” You shout whispered.

“Come on, do it again!” He insisted.

“It’s a waste!”

He whined and stomped his foot like a child. “Just do it!”

You looked to Hojung with pleading eyes, who was watching the whole thing and quietly chuckling. He simply shrugged at you. I guess there was no getting out of it. You sighed and shadow jumped a few feet away. They hollered bounced around you, jabbering about how cool that was. This was certainly not what you expected from a high paladin and the head wizard of Blackstaff Tower.

You were busy trying to calm them down while Hojung took to searching the small house. “Check this out.” His voice caught your attention and finally calmed the hyperactive boys. You all walked over to him to find he had lifted the carpet to reveal a large, bloodstained trapped door.

Gwangsuk bent down and lifted the door. “A sewer entrance?” he said quizzically, peering down the hole that led to the tunnels below the city. “This isn’t in the city plans.”

Euijin summoned a ball of light and descended the rusted ladder first, illuminating the way. Gwangsuk followed after. About half way through, the ladder creaked and you heard the tinkering of a small metal object bouncing on concrete. “Please tell me that wasn’t a screw,” Gwangsuk called down to Euijin.

“I could but I’d be lying.” Euijin called back.

“Dammit,” Gwangsuk hissed under his breath and slowly, much more cautiously, climbed down the swaying ladder.

Once he safely reached the bottom, Hojung turned to you. “You go first, you’re lighter.”

You nodded and gripped the ladder. You stepped down two rungs before the ladder snapped and you were falling. Right as you were about to teleport, you felt an iron grip on your forearm. You looked up to see Hojung. “I’ve got you.” He hoisted you back up.

“I can just shadow jump down,” you explained as he took a rope out of his pack and began tying it to the leg of the heavy couch.

He grabbed the other end of the rope and walked over to you, pulling you flush against the cold plate of his armor. “You said you should save it.”

You tried to protest but he was already lowering the two of you down the sewer entrance. You gave up and tightly gripped his strong body to keep from falling as he climbed down. You couldn’t help but to blush and burry your face into his neck in attempt to hide. His skin was warm and you wondered if orc blood ran hotter.

The two of you reached the bottom and he released you. Your eyes watered and you bit your lip to keep from vomiting. It smelled putrid. The tunnel consisted of two platforms to walk upon on opposite sides of the blackened sewer water that lazily flowed in the middle. Occasional bridges connected the two sides. You reached out to lean onto the wall to steady yourself from the wave of dizziness that the smell brought on. You withdrew your hand just in time when you realized that the walls were covered in a thick layer of dark slime.

Euijin was about to say something when something caught your eye. You shushed him and peered into the water. Once again, a larger wave rippled through the water. Something was in there.

 

(Chapter art by deviantart.com/painted-bees/)