Decisions, Decisions

Butterfly [ON HIATUS...]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shinhye

Gwangju to Itaewon…

 

Shinhye’s heart leapt out of her chest. She couldn’t believe what Yonghwa said. She didn’t even know how to feel. Of course, she moped a couple days ago because he was going back to his home in New York and she didn’t know what would become of their relationship. She should be joyous and relieved with his decision to stay.

 

“Mwo?”

 

Shinhye quickly removed herself from his embrace and turned to face him. She had to see his face as he repeated what he just said. When she saw his face, he was content and had a humble smile on his face. There was no regret.

 

“I said I’m not going back to New York.” He still had his content and humble face. He gently held her at the shoulders. “My heart has always known since meeting you that I wanted to stay. It tried convincing my mind. Which it has successfully changed. Not only do I want to stay behind for you, you being the major reason, but I want to continue nae harabeoji’s business. Seeing how hardworking neoui halmeoni is with her restaurant and how much she loves it only cleared more understanding.”

 

“Yong…” She lightly gasped as her heart picked up its pace. “I- you- ... I mean… what about your goal to be an investor on Wall Street? You’ve talked so highly of all the things you want to do in New York? What about your parents? New York is your home.”

 

“Being an investor on Wall Street was the goal. But since meeting you and wanting to spend every minute, every second with you is my new goal. And my parents will be more than happy with my decision to stay here in Korea. Nae harabeoji’s pride is important to them. Seoul will be my new home.”

 

She felt happy inside knowing he was going to stay permanently. Her heart belonged to him and wanted to be with him. A very small part of her felt a little uneasy. She looked deep into his eyes as he looked into hers. He gently smiled to her.

 

“Mostly, I want to start my new life here with you. You’re all I ever want and will only want.” He held her tighter to him, like he was never letting her go. He worriedly whispered by her ear. “Shin, please say something.”

 

His simple touches and embraces always put her heart at ease and back on the same pace as his. They also showed deeper meanings. Meanings only she understood. Everything he confessed meant the world to her. She won’t let any doubt interfere with that.

 

She smiled through his shirt, knowing he could feel her smile. “You’re all I’ll ever want too. You mean the world to me.”

 

She felt his smile against her shoulders as he wrapped her in his arms. She felt a light kiss on her shoulders. She snuggled deeper into his embrace, loving the warmth and love she felt.

 

“Cancel your classes on Wednesday.”

 

Her eyes opened wide, curiosity filling them. “Mwo?”

 

He slightly pulled away from their embrace but held her hands in his instead. “I want you all to myself on Wednesday. A day of pampering, relaxing, and a romantic dinner.”

 

She gave him a playful mischievous glare. “What are you up to?”

 

He laughed. “I just want a relaxing day with nae yeojachingu. A late celebration of our new start. Plus, I am going to miss you like crazy because I have to work extra hard to convince the board directors. The next couple of days will be meetings after meetings.”

 

“Arasseo.” She smiled. “Anything for you.”

 

 

Shinhye had the perfect weekend getaway with Yonghwa and her grandmother. Yonghwa and her grandmother got along very well and she was sincerely happy. Everything was going perfect in her life now. She couldn’t deny she was relieved Yonghwa told her he wasn’t going back to New York. Yet she was excited to start a new chapter in her life getting to know him and just being with him. She didn’t know what life had planned for them as a couple but she couldn’t keep living in the past as a lonely and heartbroken woman. Her parents and grandmother wouldn’t want that for her. She knew that now.

 

“Yah!” Semi was waving her hand in front of Shinhye while holding a couple outfits. “Earth to Shinhye. Yoo-who!”

 

Shinhye shook her head to disregard her thoughts and focused on Semi. “Mwo?”

 

Semi scoffed, making her smile. “Aigoo, I’m losing more of my best friend to Yonghwa-ssi. I ought to smack him for stealing you even when he’s not here.”

 

“Yah, arasseo. I won’t think about him anymore. Mianhe chingu.” She gave her a cute pleading look.

 

“Aigoo, already defending him.” Semi chuckled before getting serious. “Honestly, I’m glad you have Yonghwa by your side.”

 

Shinhye turned serious. Semi genuinely smiled. “I was and will always be by your side. I know how distant and sad you were when we first met. We hung out and laughed a lot but there was always something keeping you from really feeling happy. With Yonghwa, I know how happy you are and how open you are with your feelings now.”

 

Shinhye suddenly felt guilty. She never shared her past with Semi like the death of her parents, her severe depression, or her current nightmares. Semi had always been by her side like Yonghwa and was always a very good friend. She was afraid to let anyone in because she thought she would eventually lose them. Now, she wasn’t so afraid of losing anyone in her life.

 

“Mianhe Semi-ah.” Shinhye thought a while. “I’m very grateful for you. I know you will always be by my side and I will always be by yours. I just… I was afraid of showing my feelings to anyone. To let anyone in my life.”

 

Semi didn’t say anything but listened. Shinhye was grateful for her. “Actually, I lost both my parents in a drunk driving accident two years ago. I fell into a deep depression. It took me a year and a half to accept everything. Nae halmeoni has always been there for me. She pushed me to move here and start fresh. I’m grateful for her encouragement and don’t regret moving here. You were my first best friend to help me adjust and live again. I’m learning to be open and to be happy.”

 

Semi immediately hugged Shinhye. Shinhye was touched by the warm gesture and hugged her back. “Gomawo Shin-ah. I’m truly sorry for everything you had to go through and the loss of your parents. You won’t ever lose me. I promise.”

 

Shinhye felt her eyes water. But she sniffed back her tears, realizing they were hugging in the middle of the aisle of their favorite department store. She felt Semi hug her a little tighter before pulling away.

 

They both chuckled. “We better purchase these before people think we’re weird.”

 

 

As much as Shinhye missed and couldn’t stop thinking about Yonghwa, she was having a great girl’s day with Semi. Every now and then, she looked at her phone waiting for a message from her lovely boyfriend. She remembered him telling her that he would be busy these couple of days trying to persuade his late grandfather’s board to let him keep his ownership. He slept over at her place once again since coming back from Gwangju so they had a lovely breakfast together that ended with another passionate kiss.

 

She deeply sighed as she browsed the rack of underwear sets. She wasn’t into buying underwear for herself but she was simply bored and needed something to do as Semi was the one shopping.

 

“Wae?” Semi continued browsing on the opposite rack.

 

“Ani.”

 

“Miss neoui namjachingu?” She had a teasing tone.

 

Shinhye looked up and met Semi’s playful eyes. “Geurae. I miss him.”

 

She knew there was no denying Semi anymore as Semi was just like Yonghwa and could read her thoughts.

 

“He hasn’t called you today?”

 

“Ani. But I know he’s busy with meetings.”

 

“That’s right. He’s running his harabeoji’s coffee shop for a month.” Semi nodded her head as she understood. Then she abruptly stopped. “Hajiman, how are you both going to have a relationship when he goes back to New York?”

 

Shinhye smiled, remembering she would never have to say goodbye to him. “Sasileun,… he’s not going back to New York. He’s staying here permanently.”

 

Semi smiled out of surprise. “Jinjjaro?!”

 

Shinhye nodded. Semi made her way around the rack to stand in front of her. “I’m so happy for you, chingu. Geundae, have you both said ‘I love you’ yet?”

 

“Ani, but we’re not rushing into anything. We just want to enjoy our time together and now we have nothing but time.”

 

“But you do love him?”

 

Shinhye stopped smiling. She thought about what Semi asked and then she thought about Yonghwa. She knew in her heart she did love him. It didn’t matter how long they knew each other. She just knew. Her heart only beat erratically for him. He was the only man she felt butterflies for.

 

She didn’t want to admit her love for Yonghwa without telling him first. “It’s still too soon. We just officially dated a week ago.”

 

Semi nodded her head. “You’re probably right. Geundae… have you two… you know?”

 

Shinhye became wide-eyed knowing what Semi was asking. She blushed naturally, thinking of when her and Yonghwa almost got intimate in the a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter