Episode Four

Twenty-One :: A JYP Survival Show
The Bland bell Awards
 
The opening song seuges into a view of the dorm kitchen. The light coming in from the window is dark, and a time stamp in the lower corner indicates that it's 5 in the morning. Sitting at the main table is Doc, who's flipping through a heavy textbook.
 
A buzzing sounds in the otherwise silent room, made louder by effects likely added during editing. Doc sighs and flips over the phone that had been lying next to the open book. He reads the text silently, and then a smile lights up his face.
 
He looks directly up towards the cameras. "Can do sir." He says, not quite happy but more content than he's seemed in the past three episodes.
 
He flips his book closed loudly and then heads into the hallway. The camera remains focused on the empty kitchen, but loud sounds of yelling and banging from the direction of the hallway indicate that Doc is waking up the other contestants. A few bleeped responses stand out from the rest of the mess of noise.
 
About two minute later Jude walks groggily into the kitchen and immediately beelines for the coffee machine and begins making a pot seemingly on autopilot. A moment later Hongsol stumbles in as well. The scene fast forwards and the rest of the boys come stumbling in in different states of alertness and dress.
 
Doc comes in last carrying a back pack, which he drops next to the hallway entrance, and the video slows down again. All of the boys eye Doc as he drags a chair in front of the hallway entrance and stands up on top of it, clearing his throat loudly.
 
"Alright guys, votes are in and your next assignment is waiting outside." His voice sounds strong and powerfully through the room, and all eyes are focused on him.
 
"So? Who's out this time?" Jihyun calls, sounding distinctly bored despite the fact he looks exhausted.
 
Doc rolls his eyes. "Kangjoo, Byunjae, and myself. The rest of you have ten minutes to-" He pauses to check his phone, "get your rear ends into the van or you'll be eliminated too."
 
That gets people moving. Those still in some form of pyjamas run for their rooms while those dressed head straight for the front door. Soon only Byunjae, Doc, and Kangjoo are in the room.
 
Byunjae looks ready to cry. "Did... did it say what our rankings were?"
 
Doc is unsympathetic as he responds. In fact, he's practically floating around the kitchen as he moves to grab his earlier abandonded book. "You were last and Kangjoo was sixteenth. I was right in between."
 
Byunjae stares blankly at the table, processing his placement. Kangjoo looks dissapointed but pushes away from the counter he was leaning on and addresses Doc.
 
"I assume your uncle told you to get everyone together? Did he say anything about being able to come back later? I heard Hongsol-hyung mention something like that a couple of days ago."
 
Doc nods, sliding the book into the backpack. "Yeah, you guys will get a chance to come back next episode, basically in the next few days. So keep practicing blah blah blah. I'm going to class!" And with that Doc is out the door, slinging the backpack over his shoulder as he goes.
 
Kangjoo stares wryly at the doorway. "Well I guess he won't be participating when that episode is being filmed. You want to pack together Byunjae?" He looks over to the other boy and blinks when he sees him.
 
Byunjae's hands are clenched into fists on the table and he's staring down so his eyes are shadowed.
 
Kangjoo sighs. "You look like an anime character in an overly dramatic series. Come on we'll have chances to return to the competition, let's just go pack for now so we can get to practicing."
 
Byunjae pushes his chair back harshly and storms past Kangjoo, shoving the smaller man slightly as he brushes past.
 
Kangjoo sighs loudly. "And now I get to deal with the drama queen. Great. This day is really off to a good start."
 
The scene cuts to outside the dorms, with a time stamp showing it's about ten minutes before Doc leaves the house. The remaining contestants are milling around in front of three vans, each with a manager standing in front of it. Each holds a sign with a number on it.
 
"So we just get in whichever van we want?" Koda tilts his head, looking puzzled.
 
TJ doesn't question it as he grabs his best friend and then pulls him over to one of the vans. "Sounds like it. Hey guys! We're in this van!" He's standing in front of the manager holding up a sign with the number five on it.
 
Hongsol shrugs to Jude as he makes his way over to TJ and Koda, joining Soengjun along the way. However Do Sanghyun doesn't make it to the group before Noheul slides in next to TJ, who glares at him.
 
"Dude that Yeou's spot!" TJ frowns at Noheul, who just shrugs.
 
Sanghyun smiles awkwardly. "Hey it's fine TJ I'll be in one of the other groups." He looks around and makes eye contact with Danny, who grins and jerks his head in an invitation.
 
Na Sanghyun, who's standing next to Danny, looks at the other with a raised eyebrow. "Is it a good idea to have both Sanghyuns in one group?" He points out skeptically.
 
Danny just laughs. "Guaranteed hijinx will ensue, it's a travesty they haven't put you two in the same group!"
 
Na Sanghyun smiles half-heartely, but it's clear he's not as excited this morning.
 
Next to him Ash pats his back in understanding.
 
"It gets better." He says quietly. Na Sanghyun looks over at him with a small, tired smile.
 
Danny doesn't seem to notice the exchange as he pats Do Sanghyun on the shoulder and then looks around.
 
"Hey, where's Reito?"
 
"He decided to hang out with Jude today. Took my spot." Jihyun's annoyed voice startles all four men and they turn to find him as well as an annoyed-looking Xaris walking over to them. "They already took off with KimQ and Ant in the van for four people, and the five member van is gone too, so it looks like we're stuck together."
 
Ash looks over at Xaris, who shrugs awkwardly.
 
Danny takes charge. "Alright then, into the van guys!"
 
The odd group slowly files in behind him and the van drives off, just as the door swings open and Doc bounds out. He eyes the departing van with an unreadable expression, and then shrugs and heads the opposite direction.
 
The scene cuts to the inside of one of the vans, where TJ is laughing loudly.
 
"This script is gold!" He exclaims happily.
 
Noheul is scanning through the pages. "I see six parts here, but there are only five of us." He looks over at the driver questioningly. "Who's going to be the sixth person?"
 
The man doesn't look back as he responds, keeping his focus on the road. "I'll be playing the part of manager, you five will be the 'group' in the story. I'd decide now who gets what part, we only have today to get the whole thing filmed."
 
"Dibs on winning!" Seongjun shouts, causing TJ to complain loudly but teasingly.
 
Koda frowns. "No way, I want to be the winner! I'm obviously a winner, I should get that part!" He stands up as he speaks but is quickly dragged back down by both TJ and Hongsol, who are sitting on either side of him in the back row of the van.
 
"Koda, you were blocking the back window." Hongsol explains quietly. Koda makes a face but remains in his seat.
 
"Well I'll take group member number four, he seems like he'd be pretty entertaining to play." Noheul announces. TJ frowns.
 
"I wanted... oh well, I'll be number two, he seems enjoyable-y weird I suppose." TJ decides.
 
Seogjun laughs. "Koda should be the pretty one!"
 
"No way!" Hongsol keeps a grip on Koda's wrist to stop him from standing up again as the latter protests. "He barely says anything!"
 
"I'll do that part Koda, you can be group member one."
 
Koda nods. "I'm definitely number one!"
 
The scene changes to the four person van, where Jude looks confused as he flips the pages of the script each of then is holding multimple times, his eyes scanning the pages over and over again.
 
"There are way more than four parts here. And one of them is female. The script itself is amazing but I have to wonder how we're supposed to pull it off in one day with just the four of us?"
 
The driver doesn't respond to Jude's question, and he sighs and goes back to flipping through the script.
 
In the furthest row back, KimQ is slowly helping to explain each line of the script to Reito, who looks tired and frustrated. Next to Jude in the middle row Ant doesn't appear to have even opened his script at all, instead opting to nap against the window. His soft snoring creates a steady background noise in the otherwise silent van.
 
Thirty minutes are fastforwarded through, with Jude continuing to flip pages, Reito apparently giving up and pouting against one of the windows while KimQ begins looking more carefully through the script, and Ant continues to sleep soundly.
 
The image slows down as the van pulls into a parking lot. Reito kicks the back of Ant's seat, jerking the other awake and earing a half-hearted and still sleep heavy glare.
 
"We're here. They'll take over from here."
 
"They? We're playing the pronoun game?" Jude seems to be at the end of his rope with the driver, who just makes a shooing motion towards the door.
 
Ant pushes open the door without complaint and stumbles out, squinting as the rising sun catches him right in the eyes. Jude lets KimQ and Reito exit first before hopping out himself and slamming the door, perhpas a bit harder than needed.
 
He looks around and realizes with surprise that they're standing in front of SOPA. Two teachers are standing at the main entrance, smiling brightly.
 
"Hello! Are you ready to start filming?"
 
The last van is still travelling down a freeway when the scene cuts to them. Everyone has a script, and is quietly studying it, except for Do Sanghyun who is staring out the window.
 
Na Sanghyun looks over at him frowning. As if he can feel the look, Do Sanghyun looks over and smiles.
 
"I seriously don't mind only being in one scene hyung, I'm not big on acting anyway." He says it in a way that makes it clear it's not the first time he's said it.
 
Na Sanghyun sighs. "I just don't think it's fair is all. We all have a lot of screetime but you've got one line basically."
 
Jihyun's overdramatic sigh interrupts the two. "Oh who cares? He said he'd take whatever part was left over so of course he got the nothing role."
 
Every person in the van glares at the dancer, who ignores them as he goes back to his script.
 
"We'll think about it, okay? It really isn't too big of a deal if he only has one scene, I mean you ranked pretty high last episode right?" Danny sounds a little dissmissive as he speaks.
 
Ash frowns. "Speaking of does anyone know what the rankings were this round? Obviously Doc, Byunjae, and Kangjoo were the bottom three-"
 
"Unless someone who was immune was in the bottom like last time-"
 
"Shup up Jihyun. Like I was saying do we have any idea how everyone else ranked? Or who's immune this round?" Ash finishes his original thought over Jihyun's complaining at being told to shut up.
 
That gets everyone's attention. Even Jihyun stops talking and looks vaguely worried.
 
"So... we have absolutely no idea who's safe." Xaris sums up helpfully.
 
Everyone looks at each other nervously and it cuts to commercial.

"Okay this is getting ridiculous guys. We can get through one take without laughing, I believe in us!" TJ's pep talk starts before the screen brightens to show the five person group are now standing in what seems to be a library of some sort.

"We get a bit further each time, so seventh time may be the charm?" Noheul offers. He relaxing a little ways away from the rest of the group, leaning against one of the many chairs pushed under the huge table that serves as the centerpiece of the room.

The manager walks over. "Actually we should be getting to the next shooting location soon, so you guys only have one more take."

Noheul raises his hand. "Vote to only film the last part just in case?"

Everyone's hands go up and they all hurry to positions around the main table.

The manger takes charge. "We'll start from Noheul's line 'I am from the Jungle'." He instructs. Everyone nods and readies themselves.

The scene fastforwards breifly, and everyone files out of the room at the end, following the manager.

The scene changes and returns to normal speed. The five boys are now in a forest of some sort. The cameras used for filming the scene are set up on a pathway, pointed so that it appears the five are in the middle of nowhere.

As the cameras are still being fiddled with filming in the new location hasn't yet started, and the boys are amusing themselves as they wait to begin.

Seongjun, Koda, and Hongsol are all huddled around a tree stump, whith Noheul has seemingly dragged TJ across the clearing from them, if the grip he has on TJ's upper arm is any indication.

"What is it with you Noheul-hyung? You hovered around me all of the last challenge and now you push yourself into my group even though it should be Yeou here. Is something up?" TJ's tone is a mix of challenge and genuine confusion, and he eyes the other three members of the group as if debating if he could sprint over to them before Noheul caught on.

Noheul sighs. "You know why. You were a ghost during the last eliminations, and then magically two minutes later you're completely fine? We both know that's bull. You're terrible at dealing with problems so you're pushing away the fact you feel guilty about G being eliminated."

TJ's eyes are narrowed and his hands are shaking slightly, but he keeps a wide smile plastered to his face. "I'm fine hyung, and you're being invasive. Just focus on filming well and leave me alone, okay?" With that he shakes off Noheul's hand and bounces over to the others, loudly asking what they're looking at.

Koda happily answers. "There's actually a plastic lizard that we get to use! We've named him Wiggle and we're getting angry at Seongjun-ie for killing him."

Seongjun whines pitifully. "I didn't know! I thought it would be edited in later or something! I don't want to hurt Wiggle!"

"I can take your role!" Koda volunteers immediately, smiling hopefully.

TJ laughs. "Not how this works Gosaeng. Also? You were very quick to decide you'd be okay killing Wiggle here."

Koda splutters angrily and tries to backtrack but TJ and Seongjun relentlessly while Hongsol just laughs.

Noheul hasn't moved from the tree where TJ had left him, and he watches the exchange with a small frown.

Their group's manager comes up behind him and clears his throat. "You alright?"

Noheul nods idly. "I'm good. Not so sure about someone else. But I guess you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."

The manager laughs slightly. "You sound like an old man Noheul-ah. Lighten up some, have fun! This is a comedy."

Noheul smiles at him. "Alright hyung. Thank you."

The manager nods. "Anyway we're ready to start whenever they stop messing around with the props.

Noheul hums. "I'll get them."

The scene changes to the six person van. Do Sanghyun is chatting with a few of the camera men while they set up in a hallway. Danny, Jihyun, and Ash are all standing nearby in costume while they wait for their cue to start. Na Sanghyun and Xaris are nowhere to be seen.

Danny is sporting a ridiculous looking wig and an ugly sweater. Ash is dressed quite normally in a dress shirt and nice coat, and his hair has been styled so he looks rather handsome.

Jihyun is by far the most noticable though. He's wearing a choker necklace and a red sports jacket over top of a short, sparkly silver dress. He looks completely comfortable as he leans against the wall, one leg propped up as if to show off the heels he's also wearing.

As the director calls for the scene to start the show camera focuses in on Do Sanghyun's conversation.

"I really kind of like that I won't be in any other scenes, even in the skit we did with Jackson I was a little uncomfortable. I prefer just singing, without all that extra stuff a lot of idols have to do."

Xaris seems to appear from nowhere to answer Do Sanghyun, though from the angle it's clear he'd simply been standing behind the camera man up to this point.

"You realize if you debut you'll have to do all that 'extra stuff' as well, right?" He's dressed mostly normally except for the beanie on his head and the five o'clock shadow on his face, put there by makeup.

Do Sanghyun shrugs awkwardly. "Yeah, but based on the people still in the show we'll probably have some really funny members in the group, so they'll be able to help me out." He points out.

Xaris hums understanding, and the two watch the scene being performed in front of them for a moment, until the entire set is interrupted by a very excited Na Sanghyun.

"Guys! Guys I got it!"

The young man bursts right through the middle of the set as he enters. His outfit is perhaps even more outlandish than Jihyun's, with a flowery jacket that screams gaudy, complete with a fake lace collar. The look is completed by a tiny black hat perched jauntily on his head.

"Sanghyun we were in the middle of a shoot-"

The excited young man doesn't even pay the slightest bit of attention to the director as he runs straight over to Do Sanghyun. "What's the most important part of any drama?" He doesn't give anyone a chance to speak as he answers himself. "The OST! So why doesn't Sanghyun - not me Sanghyun, him Sanghyun - act out the OST? Like every time you'd play it over a scene he comes in and start pretending to sing it and getting up in everyone's personal space? It would be hilarious and then you could have more parts!" He looks extremely proud of himself while he waits for his speech to sink in.

The director eyes Do Sanghyun critically before slowly nodding. "That.. that could actually work. It's up to you though kid, you'd have to improvise your parts."

Do Sanghyun freezes, a variety of emotions crossing his face before he settles on determined.

"I think I should be able to do it."

The director nods. "Alright then we start now. Let's see what you're capable of and then we'll decide if we make this addition permanent or not."

The scene changes to show the final group in what appears to be a classroom, presumably in SOPA. The four contestants have been joined by a large group of people who seem to be teachers or staff members, as well as a few younger faces.

"Thank you for joining us everyone, I know a lot of you normally wouldn't want to come to school on your day off." The woman who had greeted the contestants at the door is standing in front of the room addressing the gathering. A few of the older people chuckle but fall silent shortly after.

"We're here to help out with the filming of a PSA for the Community Chest, and we'e being assisted by these four JYP trainees."

Everyone politely claps. Jude smiles warmly at everyone while the others all seem to be a bit embarassed at the attention.

"Now, most of you will have small background roles, so once your scenes are finished you'll be free to go home. Are there any questions?"

Silence.

"Alright then, let's get into costume and makeup people, we're on a time limit!"

The congregation scatters, leaving the four contestants with the woman as well as one other man.

"Alright, we've worked out four parts for you to fill, but one of them only has a few seconds of screen time." The woman wastes no time getting straight to business, and Jude meets her half way.

"That shouldn't be a huge problem. Anything else we should keep in mind when deciding who's who?"

The woman nods. "I'd say the part of the young boy should be played by this young man here." She nods to Reito, who startles and furrows his brow as he tries to translate what's being said about him.

Jude nods. "Makes sense, the rest of us couldn't pull off anyone younger than sixteen I'd say."

She hums agreement. "And for the part of the narrator I'd say if one of you has ample experience he should take that part. It's a very difficult role and easy to mess up if done incorrectly."

KimQ smiles. "Then that will be you hyung, you're an amazing actor."

Jude smiles warmly at him. "Hey you aren't bad yourself, I was impressed during our last acting class."

Ant clears his throat. "Um, if there's a part with no talking I'll take that one."

The woman blinks and then laughs slightly. "Well then, it seems that's that. The part with only two scenes has no speaking lines, so it should fit what you're looking for." She looks to KimQ. "Would you mind having a slightly larger role then?"

KimQ shrugs amiably. "I think I can handle it so long as everyone is happy with their roles."

The man speaks up for the first time. "Alright then, I'll take you over to make up and we can start filming!"

The scene then picks up speed as it cuts back to the forest clearing, where Hongsol is making ridiculous poses while the others shout at him.

The next clip shows Do Sanghyun twirling around Danny and Ash, who are akwardly hugging.

Na Sanghyun is shown next, moving in a way that could resemble dancing if he didn't look so ridiculous.

A few clips show Reito flipping through what appear to be school books, followed by a shot of Jude in makeup getting his face painted like a clown's.

The clips speed up, blurring together until it's impossible to tell where one ends and next begins, or what any of them are about. Then abruptly the screen goes dark, and three voices call out at the same time.

"Cut! That's a wrap!"


The scene opens on an unfamiliar room. It appears to be a classroom of some sort, with a white board at the front and several rows of seats, each with a small desk attached to the arm. The white boards are mostly blocked by an electronic screen.

The remaining fifteen contestants are all sitting in the room, looking relatively well-rested but there's still a sleepy sort of silence muffling the air.

The door flying open quickly wakes everyone up though, and they sit up straight as JYP comes through the door with all his usual flair.

"Hello and welcome to the showing of your acting debuts! All of you were involved in filming three short videos yesterday, and today you'll get to watch them. Know that your reactions will be filmed so be polite. Or don't."

With that he flips off the lights and the camera zooms in on the screen as the projector boots up and begins to play the first show.


(Danny:Hyejin       Ash:Sungoon       Jihyun:Hari       Xaris:Shinhyuk       Na Sanghyun:RaRa       Do Sanghyun:Customer, OST Singer)

Almost everyone is laughing at the end, and TJ punches Do Sanghyun lightly in the arm.

"Way to get into everyone's personal space." He teases.

Koda looks vaguely affronted. "What were less-cool-Sanghyun and Jihyun even wearing? Why would they even let anyone dress them up like that? I'd never dress like that, I'm a real man!"

"Sure you are, Gogo." Danny drawls. He's sitting a bit behind the group, and TJ turns to give him the stink eye, which is held and returned.

Hongsol sighs. "While they're doing that, I'd like to say I think you guys did really well." He smiles up at Na Sanghyun and Ash, who smile back.

A loud throat clearing from the front of the room indicates the start of the next clip, and everyone falls silent so they can watch.


(TJ:Black T       Koda:White cap       Noheul:Black T w/ Words       Seongjun:Grey T       Hongsol:Red Striped T)

Everyone turns to look at Seongjun as the credits roll, and he drops his head onto the desk. "I'm sorry Wiggle!" He cries, causing laughter from his group.

Jude laughs and looks over at Hongsol. "I have no idea what I just watched, but you did really well, it was definitely entertaining."

Hongsol grins back. "I'm looking forward to your group's video, with you there it's easily going to blow our rookie attempts out of the water."

Jude shakes his head. "Maybe maybe not. Ours is a lot more serious. Humor often wins out for people."

Hongsol nods in understanding as the camera pans away and zooms back towards the screen where the last video has started.


(Jude:Narrator/Grown Son       Ant:Teenage Son       Reito:Young Son       KimQ:Wheelchair-Bound Deputy Director)

Hongsol is sobbing by the end.

"His dad... oh my gosh that is so nice and he never appreciated him..."

TJ pulls the blubbering man into a tight hug which Hongsol does not object to.

While the men sitting in the back comfort Hongsol, the one contestant who opted to sit close to the front is smiling softly, an expression that has rarely been seen on his face.

"You look happy Ant. We made a nice video, didn't we?" KimQ sits down next to the quiet man, who startles, but then smiles again.

"Yeah. I know I didn't do much but... I feel pretty accomplished. I guess that's why so many people want to be actors."

KimQ nods in understanding. "Well when you debut I'm sure you'll get lots of opportunities to act some more."

Ant raises an eyebrow. "If."

KimQ shrugs. "I say when. You're talented Ant, even if it's not through this show something tells me you're going to make it in the idol world."

Ant looks slightly surprised at the statement, and then he awkwardly looks down at his feet.

KimQ doesn't seem to mind his silence as he pats him lightly on the shoulder and heads back up towards the slowly calming Hongsol and the large group that has now gathered around him, leaving Ant staring contemplatively at the now dark screen.

"When..." He says it as if rolling the word around on his tongue, and then he smiles again. "Maybe."

( AUTHOR'S NOTE ) Yes this chapter is a bit shorter, but that's because the videos are a whole lot longer! I hope you enjoyed this episode, and don't forget to vote! As usual voting will close Saturday, and this will be the last time voting caues eliminations for several episodes. There will be one more time that viewers votes get people booted, but this is it for a while, so be sure to get your vote in since it's going to effect not only the next eliminations but also rankings for the next several episodes! And if you wanted to know the rankings for this episode, remember to check the contestants page!
 
Also a shout out to both Viva and Monkey for helping me out with my title problems! This probably would have taken a lot longer to get posted if I didn't have their help with that!
 
And as usual I'll end with the episode poll: