Twenty Questions

Unexpectedly

     "Alright, this is so corny." I told GD. He wanted us to play Twenty Questions before we sleep. It was already eleven in the evening and my body clock is signaling me to sleep. We were both lying on our stomachs in our respective beds, looking for something to do. But when he suggested playing Twenty Questions, I wished I had already gone to sleep instead.

     "Oh, come on. We have to know each other better. We're friends!" he convinced.

     "Yeah, but we can do the getting-to-know part the usual way: ask questions casually." I answered. I am for getting to know each other well but the Twenty Questions game is for two individuals who are likely to have feelings for each other, using this game to give away hints or even confess.

     "Alright. I'll ask the first question. What's your full name?" he went on anyway. There is no way I'm winning in any argument with him. Oh, right, I already called it.

     I rolled my eyes before answering. "Mackenzie Yuson."

     "I like your name. How do you spell it?"

     I told him how it is spelled and he jotted it down on his notebook that I presumed to be his lyrics notebook. He then changed my contact name in his phone from 'Maki' to 'Mackenzie Maki Yuson'. "Okay, my turn." I cleared my throat as I thought of something worth asking but not too personal for a first question. It's much harder than I thought because I could just literally search anything about him on the internet, so, I think, I'd go straight to the personal part. "Why do you want to be friends with me?" My heart pounded as I awaited his answer with patience.

     "Good question." he commented. He gave it a thought before he started answering. "You piqued my interest." he replied.

     His brevity and vagueness got me craving for elaboration. How did I pique his interest? "Why? Err, how?"

     "My turn." he answered instead, a playful smirk forming in his lips.

     "That's not fair." I complained.

     "Do you like me as an idol?"

     I was stumped by his question because he asked it without showing any emotion, like he seriously wants to know, like it really concerns him. But I managed to answer it without giving him a hint that I have been fangirling over him since yesterday. "Yes, I idolize you. You have a great voice. You rap well. You're good looking and rich. See? I elaborated it for you. I wish you could do it for me too." I then jutted my tongue at him which made him chuckle.

     "So, I assume, your next question is how you piqued my interest?" I nodded to urge him to answer it. "Well, you grabbed my ."

     "I.. I.." I almost forgot about that. Shame got me curling into a fetal position. I draped the blanket over my body to prevent further embarrassment.

     I heard him laugh it out for a good two minutes before he pulled my blanket to his bed. "My turn." he stated after his laughter died down. "Do you like me as a person?"

     Again, baffled by his next question, I remained still so that he could only see the top of my head. Is he going to ask next if I like him as a man? This is seriously getting awkward and weird. I fell head-on in a trap and there's no escape. I considered faking a sleep but that would be too obvious. Besides, knowing him, he would probably prod me in the head until I wake up. "Yes. It would be so rude of me if I said no after getting a lot of free food and an iPhone, right?" I answered wittily.

     Okay, great save. I deserve a pat on the back.

     "Why did you ask me to stay the night here with you?" I slowly lied on my stomach to see his facial expression only to see it neutral.

     Briefly after, he smiled and said, "I'm leaving for China tomorrow."

     I don't know why but my stomach sank upon hearing his answer. Well, maybe I know. I'm going to miss him for sure. "Oh, really." I intended it to be an interjection as an expression of surprise but it rather came out as a sad remark.

     "Oh, come on. Don't be sad. I'll be back soon after the concert tour there." he comforted. He held my chin up and smiled, urging me to do the same. And I did.

     It felt oddly satisfying because I acted like a girlfriend in distress and he responded like a comforting, loving boyfriend.

     What is happening? Really. I need to know because it's confusing. But at the same time, I don't because I'm afraid that reality will slap me in the face real hard.

     I cleared my throat to ease up the apparently one-sided tension. "Your turn."

     "Have you ever had a boyfriend before? Or do you currently have?" he asked. He was, to no surprise, nonchalant about asking such a substantial question.

     "I'm, uh, I've never had a boyfriend." I managed to answer. Seriously, where is this going?

     "Really? Why?" he innocently asked.

     Seriously, dude, the answer is right in front of your face. Petite and fair-skinned is the fad and I ain't qualified in both. But to conceal my pathetic, nonexistent love life, I told him, "I wasn't really interested. I had to focus on my studies to get a scholarship here. And now, here I am."

     "I see. Well, it turned out well." he beamed. "I mean, look at you now. Spending the night with me." he joked, well, I assume.

     "Ain't that great?" I sarcastically replied.

     We both laughed at our exchange of sarcastic remarks, forgetting to keep track of how many questions have already been asked.

     I avoided asking the same thing because of the news of him and his rumored girlfriend breaking up that had recently broke out to keep my manners intact.

     We went on to talk about anything and everything, completely forgetting about the game. It doesn't really matter now because it already served its purpose: for us to get to know each other.

~~~~~

     I woke up due to the constant shaking of my shoulder but I was in denial. I don't have to wake up now. It feels like I had just closed my eyes, like I haven't even slept for an hour yet.

     "Maki. Maki. We have to leave now. I'll send you back to your dorm." I heard a voice say.

     When it dawned on me that I just spent the night with GD and that he might be the one waking me up now, I sat up straight and wiped the corners of my lips to get rid of the dried drool if ever there was.

     "Don't worry. You didn't drool." he reassured and then chuckled. "Come on. We have to leave now."

     I groggily searched for my phone to check the time and it read almost six in the morning.

     What the hell? It's already almost six?

     I tried to remember how I fell asleep but it was a hopeless case. But one thing is for sure. We slept late because my head hurts due to lack of sleep.

     I prepped but didn't bother to change clothes because I'll be taking a bath in the dorm before going to school anyway. His bed was already made so I made mine too. As soon as I was done, he grabbed my bag and my hand and we got out. The street was quiet at the break of dawn. There were only a few people around, doing their morning exercise.

     He opened the door for me and I slid into the passenger seat and then rounded the car to get to the driver's. He started the engine and it ran smooth, which gave me satisfaction. I don't know, maybe I have a for smooth engines? Kidding.

     "I'm sorry if we have to leave early. I have to be there before lunch so I really have no choice but to send you home now." he explained, giving me an apologetic smile.

     "It's okay. I have to be in school before lunch too." I told him.

     We spent the rest of the ride in silence, like our soon separation got us feeling tongue-tied in desolation. He would occasionally glance in my direction and I would smile back to reassure him I'm fine, or maybe just out of awkwardness. Since when did it become awkward? Or, well, maybe it's just me.

     We arrived at the school gate nearest to my dorm shortly after. When the engine stopped running, we remained still in our seats. Neither of us wanted to move nor speak first. I stealthily looked at him through my peripheral vision and I saw him smiling to himself.

     Before I could even think of why he was smiling like that, he cleared his throat and turned to me. "Chingu. I'll see you in a week?"

     I smiled at him and nodded my head. "I'll see you soon."

     I was about to turn around to open my door when he reached in and gave me kiss on the cheek.

     A freaking kiss on the cheek.

     G-Dragon freaking kissed me on the cheek.

     I wanted to slap my face to check if I wasn't dreaming but it wasn't necessary anymore, for he hugged me immediately after. I was smiling from ear to ear to myself and then hid it when he broke the hug, because if not, he'd think that I liked it very, very, very much and he'd only make fun of me.

     "Let's get in touch." he told me.

     I nodded and then opened the door and got out, but not too soon for me to not be able to hear him say he'd miss me.

     He'd miss me.

     He's going to miss me.

     Is he?

-----