It's Not Like That...

Don't Break My Heart

 

I walked into my room to see Tzuyu and Dahyun on my bed and Sana sitting at my desk, smiling at me like three fools.

"We talked, okay? And guess what. I think we're good as friends, nothing more. So you two can leave, I wanna talk to Sana."

"Yah, Momo," Dahyun pouted. "You're gonna leave all the juicy details for your bestie? I want to hear too."

I laughed. "Dahyun! If you want to hear about our little walk, there is nothing juicy about it. It's dry as fresh baked bread, can you leave now?"

Tzuyu scoffed. "Why do you like analogies?"

"Huh?"

"You know, 'Dry as bread,' 'straight as an arrow...'" She and Dahyun started to giggle.

"Yah, can you two stop." I was offended, of course. I was also upset because I seemed to say the latter phrase more than I thought.

The two girls bid good night and left the room, still chattering.

"Momo?"

"Hmm?"

"Is there something you want to tell me?"

"Ah..." I spread my blanket neatly on my bed before laying down. "Well, not necessarily."

"Oh ok. Then I'll leave. Good night." She stood up.

"Wait," I reached out my arm and she slowly turned to look at me.

Then we laughed, it felt too much like a drama the way it happened.

"What?"

"You're so cute..." I hadn't meant to say it aloud, but I just spoke my mind. It was true, she is really cute. It was when she started blushing a deep red that I realized I hadn't just thought it.

"I- I'm sorry."

"Sorry for giving a compliment?" she shook her head. "Why?" Even though she was clearly flustered.

"Um... actually, I kinda did want to talk about my walk with Jongin."

"Oh really?" She had such a wide smile as she sat down on my rolling chair and slid over next to the bed.

How can she like me if she is getting excited whenever I mention Jongin...

"Well, what I said was true. I do think we're better as friends."

Her smiled dropped, and so did my heart. "What's wrong, Sana?"

"Is it my fault?"

"What?" I scoffed. "Why would you say something crazy like that?"

She looked up at me. She was serious. "Well I didn't want to say anything. I wanted to deny it and support you. But I started to notice that Jongin is flirting with me. I kept trying to include you in the conversation at the park, but you wouldn't say more than a few words. And then you walked away. It wasn't supposed to be that way. I was there to support you, but you got silent and wouldn't talk."

"Don't be ridiculous, Sakura," I touched her hair, awkwardly trying to comfort her by acting unphased. "I couldn't talk because it was so hot, and I left because it's too hot to think. Even if he was flirting with you, it's okay really."

We heard some weird scraping sounds on the wall, which startled us. But we just shrugged it off. "Well, I don't want you to give up on him. I don't like Jongin, so it's okay if you keep trying."

"Yah," I sat up to get a better look at her. "I can't force the boy to like me. And you can't force me to like him. Because I realized that we are just good at friends."

"You're for real?"

"Yeah," I laughed. "We may have had a long talk, but it wasn't a confession... well, not in the way you'd think..."

"Hmm?"

I looked at her. "I didn't exactly know what I wanted to tell you, now that I think about it."

"Don't change the subject, what's the confession?"

We were startled by the sounds on the wall again. This time it was accompainied by talking. After straining to listen, I could hear the dialogue:

Tzuyu: what are they saying?

Dahyun: I don't know.

Tzuyu: Move the cup over here.

Dahyun: I can hear them fine, but they're not speaking Korean!

I hit the wall and the girls screeched.

"Yah, go to sleep!"

Sana laughed. "What the heck..."

I laid back down. "I told him... that I think... I'm in love. With a girl."

Sana looked at me, with wide eyes. "What?"

"That was my confession..." I chuckled. "I'm not straight as an arrow."

Sana crawled into the bed with me. "You mean you told him before you told me!"

I felt my face get hot. "I... I'm sorry... I didn't plan for it to go that way..."

"Forget Jongin," Sana looked at me with a bright smile. "Who is she? What is she like?"

"No."

"Huh?"

"I can't tell you."

"Why not?"

I quickly tried to find an excuse in my head. "I don't want to..."

"Ugh, but I'm your best friend," she pouted.

"Well, I don't want a repeat of all this craziness that happened with Jongin."

"Didn't it benefit you though," she laughed.

"It bothered me, nonetheless, and I refuse to let it happen again." I stood up and went to my closet so I could change my clothes. "I'm tired, you can hang if you like, but I'm gonna change and go to sleep."

Sana grabbed my toothbrush and toothpaste for me. "Thank you, Sakura."

"No problem, Peach." She smiled at me. "I'll be back."

She left the room, and I thought I would die!

Sana is gonna sleep in here!!

I quickly freshened up and cleaned the room. I don't know why, I guess I just was nervous and needed to distract myself. I became shaky as I lay in bed, kinda wishing Sana would change her mind.

But she didn't. In fact, she saw me shivering when she walked in.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, why?" I didn't look at her.

"You're shaking like crazy."

"Just a little chilly..."

She crawled into my bed and held me, and I froze instantly.

"I'll make sure you stay warm. Good night."