Dilemma

Between heaven and hell: Read my story

Special thanks to Kpopasian, sweetdreamez, superdupper, KissMeFanny and my susbcribers. I gain nothing from this passion but your comment keep me moving, so make sure you leave feedback after reading. I'm afraid this ff is coming to an end T-T, still a few more chaps to go, but if my imagination continues to run wild, maybe there will be more chaps, who knows? ;-)

____________________________

Nara woke up crying when she realised that her father is still in the hospital, Sehun was the one who calmed her down. The little girl hugged him tight, asking him to take her to meet her father. He couldn't say no when she asked for him to help her take a bath. Areum was busy in the kitchen preparing breakfast anyway so he took the task.

"Mama! Mama!"

"Hey! You smell so good" Areum pecked her daughter's cheek, lifting her up to sit on a chair. "You have to eat if you want to visit Papa."

She quickly grabbed a sandwich, munching the food with a straight face. "Uncle Sehun, ketchup please." 

Sehun ruffled her hair, shaking the bottle to pour the sauce on her cheese. "More?"

"No thanks" 

He watched her eat, feeling full from it. He's jealous though, Kai can see this everyday, listen to her cute voice when he's just a step father who's being called uncle. "Why don't you call your mother Omma?"

She swallowed her food, turning to his direction. "Have you forgotten that I'm a Japanese?"

"How so?"

"I lived there Uncle , you know it."

Areum patted his shoulder giving him the no more questions look. "Well Uncle must have forgotten, you haven't been around for some time." He sipped his hot coffee, diverting his gaze from her.

"Nara don't talk while eating" Areum pour some tea for her daughter, combing her messy hair. 

 

They met Kai's mother at the entrance, she was standing alone with a sad face. She was on her way out, turning her face away from them. Areum took it as a signal that they shouldn't have met or greet each other at the moment. Sehun asked for Kai's room number before leading their way with Nara holding his hand tight.

"Papa?" Nara carefully opened the door, being the first one to step inside. Sehun trailed after her while Areum hesitate to take any step further from the front door. Sehun rubbed her back trying to comfort her from whatever going in her mind.

"Nara-ah" Kai was lying on the bed, canula to help him breath and wires on his body. He looked exhausted, his eyes barely open. "Thank you for having her at your house."

"It's my pleasure to have her around" Sehun smiled keeping it casual. He looked behind to see Areum taking small steps towards the bed. 

Nara kissed her father's cheek earning a smile from the other. "Papa I miss you"

"I miss you too cupcake, were you naughty?"

"Nope,Papa when will you come home?" she played with his fingers, tangling it with her small ones. "Nara want Papa to braid Nara's hair again."

He wants to tell her how much he misses her too, and how much he wants to hold her tight but he's too weak to even move a limb. "Can you help me carry her to the bed?" 

Sehun pushed the metal bar down before carrying Nara and placed her beside her father. Nara seemed used to it, she lie down next to him. Face buried in the crook of his neck, her short arm hugging his waist. "I love you Papa."

"I love you too" 

Areum looked away, biting her lower lip to hold her tears. She wasn't there when he raised Nara by himself. The connection between the two is beyond hers and Nara. Kai understands her only with a look on her face and her small actions. She may be the one who give birth to her but Kai was there through her life. He's irreplacable in Nara's life. He can't just leave her one day. 

That is Areum's biggest fear.

The day when Nara will only be left with her.

"Papa, I can count small numbers now. I can use my fingers. Try me!"

Their forehead touched, he cleared his throat trying his best to stay smiling when others can see how he's battling to not fall asleep. "Well, 5 plus 3?"

Nara looked at her fingers, folding it to the numbers her father mentioned earlier. "8!"

"Wow! You're so good now huh?"

"You're going to miss a lot Papa if you stay in bed" she frowned, looking down to her curled fingers. "Can't you come home with Nara?"

"But you get to stay with Mama right?"

She shook her head, pouting. "But Nara want Papa too."

Areum sensed that Nara would be crying and wailing if she didn't step in. "Nara-ah, Papa needs his rest. Can you be kind and stay with Mama for a while?"

Kai looked up to her, their eyes met. He recognised the look, the exact same one that he remembers when he first got his attack. The time when he asked her to be his girlfriend, the promise he made to live even a second more than her. The promise he knows he can't keep.

"Nara-ah can you do Papa a favor and buy me some porridge from the cafeteria?"

"No"

"Papa need to talk to Mama, please?" he brushed his thumb on her soft cheek, she soften nodding her head.

Sehun helped her to get down., holding hands, the two left together. Areum muttered a soft thanks to Sehun for his understanding. She took a seat on a chair next to the bed, scooting closer to Kai. 

"How are you feeling?" 

"Bad? I'm just so tired" he chuckled softly trying to calm her nerves. "I want you to fight for custody."

"What are you talking about? We agreed that she's with me on the weekends." Just like any mothers, she wants to have Nara with her all the time but she's not selfish. Nara is used to her father, the two of them are so close that she couldn't beart to break their special bond. 

"Look at me Areum, I don't even know if I'm going to walk out this hospital without this breathing machine. I begged you please."

"NO! If you want to be a coward and let this bring you down. I DON'T EVEN WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN!" she grabbed her purse ready to leave when he grabbed her wrist. 

"The doctor told me that my lungs is the problem, they're trying to figure things out but that takes time. Time is a luxury for me and you know it so please sit down and listen to me." 

Areum took a deep breath, massaging her temples. "What do you want me to do?"

"File a lawsuit to me, tell the world how you suffered. The judge will give the full custody to you, we are not married so my mother would do anything to make sure that you won't see Nara again , if I die. She's capable of it, she did it once and she's going to do it again."

Kai, one of the most successful businessman will lose his title and his work when the news came out. The people knew that he has an illegitimate child but they never knew who the mother is. They registered Nara under his name and lied that he got surrogacy to get a heir as his health didn't allow him to get married. What if they got to know that he has Nara with his high school girlfriend, abandoned her after he got a child and lied to her about his death. He's doomed.

Kim Jongin's name will dissapear from the world.

"No, no. Nara will suffer from this. I can't do that, I'm sorry."

"Then... there is only one way." He's reluctant, his eyes were away from hers.

"What is it?" She's willing to try anything that won't hurt their little girl.

"Marry me, I promise you that I will follow anything that you said. It's just for the custody and when the time is up, I'll let you go and you can be Sehun's wife again."

It's complicated, no matter what the decision is, someone will get hurt. Nara or Sehun? The two meant so much to her but Kai is right. She has to get the custody to her own child, legally. But Sehun will get hurt if she leaves him right? Even if he never declare his love towards her after the accident. He's there, the Oh Sehun she knew is still alive in him. He needs time...

"I know this is crazy but, think about it. I don't mind losing everything , I deserve it anyway. But I know that it will hurt Nara in the process."

She remained silent till the door opened revealing Nara skipping her way with a lollipop in her hand and a poker face Sehun trailing behind. 

 

After the hospital visit, Kris dropped by to meet Nara. He wants to see how the little one doing, he texted Areum that he will be there. Sehun was suspiciously silent along the ride. He didn't say anything but has this stern look on his face, Areum was worried that he might heard them but contained himself not to get mad at her in front of Nara.

They greeted Kris when they arrived, he was sitting by the fountain playing with his cellphone. Nara was excitedly welcoming him with kisses all over his face. She saw the big box of a new version of Barbie that she saw on tv. Kris noticed the cold air between the married couple, so he volunteered to bring Nara out for lunch and desert. 

Sehun was the first to walk in their house while Areum waited till Kris' car was out of sight. She knew it, he absolutely heard their conversation. Her steps were heavy when she closed the door behind her. She took a deep breath, opening their bedroom door. Sehun was topless , rummaging the closet to find his shirt. She leaned against the wall, eyes on his back.

"Spill it out, you're mad at me"

He shut the door close with a loud thud, turning his body towards her direction. "HOW CAN I NOT?! THAT GUY JUST ASKED YOU TO MARRY HIM WHEN YOU'RE WITH ME!" His face was red with anger.

It terrifies her, this new side of him.

"Did you hear everything?"

"Custody huh? He's f****ing trying to use you for himself! CAN'T YOU SEE IT?!" 

"Sehun, he's sick."

"Maybe that is one of his game plan."

"He's not, you see it yourself how poor he looks like. You should be ashamed of yourself for accusing him." Her body was shaking from the anger and fear. She tried to stay calm not to raise her voice at him.

"What kind of a person dares to ask someone else's wife to be his? He's insane! FOR GODSAKE AREUM! Don't be blinded by him. He's using Nara against you. Custody? We can hire the best lawyer for you to win your daughter back. They took her away from you."

She lowered her head down before sliding down the wall, she's confused, tired and with everything happening so suddenly, Areum is stressed out. "You think the judge will be in my favor? I am an unwanted child who was abandoned by my own parents, pregnant at a young age , a trouble teenager, didn't even graduated from high school, you think those people will believe me? THEY WON'T! Heck when they found out that I am emotionally unstable, they will never let Nara near me. No one will listen to me."

She bit her lower lip but her eyes betrayed her, letting out her emotions straight to be seen by the man. Sehun felt bad for thousands of time since he learned that she is his wife. He kneeled down in front of her, letting out a heavy sigh.

"I will listen to you, I will fight with you. Just please don't ever think of leaving me. I-I'm scared. I think I'm in love with you for the second time."

She jumped on him, curling her arms around his neck. "You have no idea how long I waited for that." She smiled sincerely for the first time in the stressful day. She was insecure about their relationship since he came back broken. "I love you, I love you, I love you." She pecked his cheek, resting her forehead on it. Sehun hugged her tight , feeling desperate to keep her to himself.

"I love you too sweetheart" he whispered in her ear. He has lost count of the number of times her breaks her heart so he vowed from then on, he will be the one to comfort her, not to hurt her. "Be my wife again."

"I will always be your wife" she giggled, looking up to see his face. "I look silly aren't I?"

"You cry too much honey, you're the most beautiful when you smile."

"You raised your voice at me, do you know how much that scares me? It's like you hate me or something."

"I will never hate you" he rested his chin on top of her head, she relaxed in his hold. She has never feel so tired, with Kai's sickness came back and how it effects Nara. She's at lost. "I will treat you better, I promise. "

"Then grant me a wish" she paused, staring deep into his eyes. "Whatever decision I made, you are my last love."