Chapter Six.

Demonem Maesta [discontinued]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hello guys! Another update for you :)
Hope you like it!
(Edit : Sorry for the typos, I did my best but I'm tired)
 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Six.

 

 

 

 

 

Hyukjae’s eyes were shut, breathing slow and steady, as warm and sticky fingers worked on his sore ribs, gently massaging his skin and making sure the mixture was smoothly penetrating his flesh. He kind of wanted to lean into the touch, secretly enjoying the gentle ministrations he was given, but of course he didn’t. He had a cold image to maintain. So, instead, he remained silent and motionless, sporting an expressionless face, as Donghae took care of his wounds for the second time that day.

He would never admit that he was somewhat getting used to this, to Donghae roaming his hands over his bruised body, to the nice heat and numbing sensation it created over and under his skin, appeasing the pain.

Strangely enough, the other’s proximity didn’t disturb him so much anymore, nor was he annoyed by the demon’s presence – except when the latter would nonchalantly order him around. He would never admit it, even if it was fairly obvious that he was growing accustomed to Donghae.

He was exactly being friendly towards the devilish creature; he was actually far from being nice. He would still snap and curse at the ginger-head if he had the chance to, and throw him spiteful words about how much demons were a plague and how much he hated them. One couldn’t change old habits so easily, and the hatred was too deeply seated into his heart for him to throw away his principles and his pride.
But on the other hand, he clearly wasn’t as fierce and vehement anymore, not as much as he usually used to be when it came to demons. He wasn’t going to get all friendly with Donghae, yet he had reluctantly accepted to achieve some sort of truce with the demon.

He had discovered it was hard for him to keep angry at Donghae anyway. The demon was being frustratingly calm and nice and peaceful, despite everything Hyukjae could spite to his face. He never raised his voice, nor showed any sign of being annoyed. He would just endure the angel’s insults, either replying with his soft voice or just ignoring him –which never missed to make Hyukjae more upset.

But when Donghae was helping him like this, hands soft and gentle, making sure not to hurt him, without making any comments about the situation, Hyukjae couldn’t find it in himself to hate him so much anymore.
Donghae was being insufferably nice.      

“How do you even know how to do this?” he mumbled grumpily, referring to way the other was treating his wounds, unpleased to find himself enjoying the light touches so much.

“I was a healer before I was turned into a demon”, Donghae reply after a second.

Hyukjae opened an eye to peek at the demon, raising an eyebrow. “Really?”, he inquired, genuinely curious.

“Hmm”, Donghae nodded, a small nostalgic smile gracing his lips. “I lived in the Southern lands, down the Golden Fields and near the Clouded River. I lived there with my brother Heechul, in a wooden cabin he had built for us. It wasn’t big or anything, but I had a garden in the back, where I used to let fruits and flowers grow, and I made healing concoctions and remedies with them. My powers have always worked out well with plants”, he went on, eyes fixed on the parcel of Hyukjae’s skin he was carefully rubbing. “I was a good healer.”

Hyukjae stared at the demon’s face as the latter spoke more about his long lost home.
He didn’t want to show any interest to what Donghae was saying but he couldn’t help but be intrigued.

“There was this huge cherry-tree at the bottom of the garden”, the demon softly went on. “It had thousands of white and pink flowers which bloomed every two or three moons, and they danced in the wind all day long. I could use them to make all kind of creams and beverages. When I think about home, I can remember the smell of those flowers, even after all these years.”

There was something about Donghae which made Hyukjae fascinated. He wasn’t sure what it was, but it left a tugging sensation inside his chest. Maybe it was the way he was telling him about his past life, as if it was normal to share those memories with his enemy. Maybe it was the way he was speaking, with such a soft and low tone, enticing the angel’s ears with his honey-like voice. Maybe it was the way he smiled with bitterness, or the way regret was lacing with his words, making him look somehow vulnerable. Maybe it was that feeling of melancholia flowing from him, wrapping Hyukjae’s icy heart and forcing it to melt a little. Maybe it was his sad eyes, in which Hyukjae unconsciously drowned as they looked up and locked gaze with his own. Maybe it was those deep brown orbs who could pierce his soul with just a look and make his guts churn strangely. 

“Lots of angels used to come to my place and ask me to brew them some concoction”, Donghae grinned a little wider, and Hyukjae’s eyes shifted to look down at the little teeth revealing themselves, noting they were cutely slightly crooked. “They said my cures worked fast, and had the asset of not smelling or tasting too bad.”

“Yeah, sure, your weird mixtures work fast”, Hyukjae muttered and awkwardly averted his eyes, looking down at the dark brown liquid Donghae was still busy rubbing over his side.

“Actually, the concoctions are not that efficient”, Donghae casually said. “After all, this is just some tree juice and a bit of pollen. They are useful because they warm up your body and help you relax, so that my magic can work on you more easily. But it’s not what’s healing you properly speaking; it’s more like something which helps conveying my magic into your body.”

Hyukjae’s face snapped up and his eyes widened. “Are you telling me you’re using your powers on me right now?”

Donghae raised his eyebrows, with a clear 'of course' expression. “Well, yeah”, he deadpanned. “Sap couldn’t make you heal this fast. I’m mostly using my powers to repair your ribs and soothe your bruises.”

“Don’t use your dirty magic on me”, Hyukjae almost howled, pushing Donghae’s hands away. The demon blinked and tilted his head to the side.

“Why not?”, he retorted. “I can ease your pain like this. If I hadn’t used my powers, you wouldn’t have healed this fast.”

“Why are you doing

Please log in to read the full chapter