Feast of Heroes

Winter in the Wilderness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

While Minjeong found the Empress’s manor very beautiful, the White Queen's castle completely blew it out of the water.

 

It was stunning.

 

Everything was white. From the marble floors to the intricate columns to the decorative furniture, the whole structure was pure and spotless. It had a wonderfully clean feeling about it, and despite her messy adventure, Minjeong felt refreshed simply by standing within the white walls. Not a trace of dirt could be found, and if it wasn't so riveting, she might have been a little freaked out by how tidy everything was.

 

Standing in the middle of her suite, Minjeong wrapped her bathrobe tighter around her body. She had taken upon herself to find every single possible way to relax before tonight's feast, and thus far, it had led to a tray of delicious petit fours, a bottle of cider, a chocolate facial, a warm bubble bath, and a fluffy bathrobe. All she needed now was a massage and maybe a mani-pedi, and perhaps the tension that had been convoluting her body would finally go away.

 

But something in her doubted it.

 

Ever since the White Queen had gone on and on about Minjeong’s bravery, she felt herself becoming more uneasy by the second. The people in the castle were treating her with the utmost respect and admiration, thanking her and shouting encouraging words when she passed by. The White Queen had bestowed her a proper title as 'Lady Minjeong' and provided her only the best suite of the castle for her stay. And while Minjeong adored the heavenly silk sheets, the glittering crystal chandelier, and the extravagant full length mirror, she would have taken an escape over all of this any day.

 

Minjeong liked adoration. It was a nice feeling - to be loved and adored. But this was an entirely different thing. This was a lie, one that had unraveled into something she could no longer control, and that very thought terrified her whole being.

 

Pouring another glass of cider, she released her hair from her high bun and allowed it to fall freely on her shoulders. She let the champagne flute play in between her fingers as she sauntered towards the window, white laced curtains flying at the sides. A small smile fluttered on her lips as she peeked down and spotted the White Rabbit and Squirrel racing throughout the courtyard. Their laughter rang joyfully in her ears, and Minjeong felt a proud pang in her chest as she accepted the role as "Master of Matchmaking.”

 

She walked back towards the center of the room, briefly catching her reflection in the vanity before heading towards the white wardrobe. She reached for the handle and the door open. There was only one item hanging inside, and Minjeong retracted it with the most delicate care. She placed it on the top of her bed and untied her bathrobe, letting it drop carelessly on the shiny floor. Slipping into a new pair of white undergarments, Minjeong heaved a heavy sigh before returning back to her bed and grabbing the item of clothing. She walked towards the full length mirror with the piece at hand and held it gingerly against her body as she examined her figure.

 

It was a floor length dress, made out of soft, billowy material. The sweetheart cut made it look dainty and doll-like, but the lack of straps also gave her the shape of a blooming young woman. It was icy blue, almost white, but the White Queen had insisted that she wore a different color from everyone else. "Champions are special," she had said promptly as she ordered her dressmakers to find Minjeong the perfect dress. Peeling down the zipper, she opened the dress up and stepped in gracefully as she pulled it back up to her torso. Her hands fumbled behind her back as she tried yanking the zipper back up, but she found her limbs unable to maneuver as her hands sustained mid-back.

 

“Perfect," she mumbled, glancing feebly at her reflection. The so-called "new hero" of Kwangya couldn't even work a damn zipper. With one hand holding the dress together, she pushed towards her vanity and scrambled through the drawers. Pulling out some bobby pins and a pearl necklace, she tried fastening her hair into some sort of bun whilst still attempting to zip up the dress. Unfortunately, the latter was continuing to be a pressing problem as she finished her hair and threw on all the jewelry, and her dress was threatening to slip down her waist.

 

“Knock, knock," a voice came at the door, but before she could even answer, the door swung open and Hatter came bustling in.

 

“Hey!" Minjeong yelped, yanking the dress higher over her chest. "I didn't say you could come in! What if I was undressed?”

 

“I was kind of hoping that was the case," Hatter said, a small frown tugging her lips as she noticed she was mostly clothed. "The feast is about to start soon and the guest of honor has yet to be seen." She strolled around the room, examining little knickknacks and poking through the cabinets. "White Queen sent me up to check on you. Make sure you're okay.” Minjeong shrugged uncomfortably, still clinging dearly to her gown. "So," she teetered. "Are you okay?"

 

“I'm fine," she dismissed. "I'm just resting. It isn't a crime."

 

“True."

 

“And if I'm going to finish getting ready, you're going to have to leave.”

 

“Not so true." Minjeong rolled her eyes as Hatter pestered on. "Need me to fix the zipper problem?"

 

She hesitated for a moment before gradually turning around, exposing her to her. She could feel Hatter’s smirk burning the back of her skull as her footsteps approached, and she felt herself shift as she grabbed the back of her dress and held the zipper in between her fingers. "Up," she warned quickly, darting an evil look behind her. "Not down." She heard Hatter chuckle softly, and the sound of the zipper slowly creeping up her back sent a chill down the spine. The careful work of hands brushed gently against her skin, and she bit her lip as she felt Hatter’s finger tips sweep across her neck.

 

They were both silent for a moment, and Minjeong refused to turn around. After a few seconds, Hatter cleared , a grin returning onto her face. 

 

"Thanks," she whispered, her back still towards her.

 

There was a little more silence before she heard Hatter’s footsteps retreating. "Always a pleasure, Winter," she said, and she heard the double doors close. Minjeong took one last moment to glance at her reflection: she looked elegant, regal, gorgeous... and heroic. Her body began to tense all over again.

 

 

“To Lady Kim Minjeong!" the White Queen raised her glass.

 

The rest of the ballroom raised their glasses as well. "To Lady Minjeong!" There was a collective gulp of white wine and a sudden burst of applause, and Minjeong was forced to stand from her seat and bow bashfully. This only egged the crowd on more, and the cheers became louder.

 

Eventually, the noise quieted down as the music started up again, and the crowds either returned to their meals or filtered onto the dance floor. Minjeong, along with the rest of her comrades, sat at the front of the ballroom at the head table. They were still being served meal upon meal, and frankly, they had been all too malnourished the past couple of days to even consider dancing at the moment. Thankfully, the White Queen's court seemed to understand as they gave the group their space, and the kitchens started working double time. Plates and bowls of colorful salad, buttered biscuits, mashed potatoes, saucy ribs and steak, tomato soup, exotic pastas, roasted vegetables, sweet honey turkey, and lemon salmon covered every inch of their table as dishes were extracted and exchanged. Dessert was still not for a while, but Minjeong swore she could smell at least six different pies every time the servants bustled by.

 

While the people of the White Queen's castle were still dressed in their uniform white, the rest of Minjeong’s group remained in clothes in different colors, though, in a much more formal fashion. Caterpillar had on an incredibly flashy blue and green shiny suit, and Cheshire Cat wore a poofy pink and purple princess gown. The ex-Force girls had switched their black shorts for extended black skirts, and Squirrel wore a black and electric blue corseted dress. Even the March Hare and Hatter looked rather elegant in their own gowns despite both of them looking extremely out of place, Minjeong thought. Still, everyone looked as stunning as ever, and the crowd surely thought them royalty.

 

Downing another glass of sweet wine, Minjeong sighed pleasantly as she wiped her bottom lip with the back of her hand. "Easy, Minjeong," the Empress warned, sitting on her right side. "You still have all night."

 

“Right," she mumbled and put down her glass. Taking in a deep breath, she grabbed buttered corn on the cob and a plate of roasted potatoes. "Do all these people live in the castle?" she nudged the Empress while taking a bite from.

 

“Yes," the Empress confirmed. "They are the White Queen's court. Her loyal followers, you can say. There are probably about a hundred of them that live in the castle, even more outside this area."

 

“Does the Red Queen have just as many followers?"

 

The Empress widened her eyes a bit as she leaned in. "Speak softly of her name in the White Queen's castle. It is almost taboo." Empress took a sip from her goblet before continuing. "I reckon she has more. Seeing that she is the one in power, plus the Queen of Hurt’s followers, her kingdom is much more grand.”

 

“But with less heart," Minjeong quipped back, and both of them smiled. She watched as more and more people clamored onto the dance floor, the twirling white attire reminding her of spinning snowflakes. Peeking through the high rise windows was the orange and pink of the falling sunset, sparkling against the romantic crystal chandelier hanging in the center of the ballroom. Marble columns aligned all around the sides of the room, and the double entrance staircase were filled with laughing statuesque people, gracefully holding champagne flutes between their fingers. Minjeong watched them easily with her eyes and admired the elegance of the crowd.

 

“Minjeong!" the March Hare called for her, approaching from the opposite side of the ballroom. Her attire was a strapless silver gray dress which hugged her body in the right places. She looked anxious but beautiful nonetheless. She stuck her hand out and reached for Minjeong, bending over the dining table. "Care to dance?"

 

Minjeong laughed and stood up from her seat. "I didn't know you were a dancer!"

 

“I have two left feet, but I'm sure you'll be good enough for the both of us," March Hare said with a chuckle, and she lead her out playfully onto the dance floor where, for a moment, she forgot all about being a hero and twirled underneath the warm light of March Hare's smile.

 

 

The music swelled into a crescendo as Caterpillar dipped her dramatically, and they both were in giggling hysterics when she pulled her back up. The crowd applauded the band's final note, which only led to another more upbeat tune. Caterpillar took her hand graciously in hers as she waltzed her off the dance floor, and Minjeong bubbled with more laughter when she saw the deliciously exaggerated look on her face.

 

Caterpillar grinned widely, and she tightened her arm in hers. She leaned in towards her ear, her voice barely above a whisper. "What I would give to be the royal dressmaker of this castle," she mumbled in an airy tone, an eyebrow raised at a passing group. "Put them out of their misery."

 

“I'm sure you have enough feathers and sequins to supply all of Kwangya," Minjeong muttered back, and they both smirked.

 

She spent the next hour and a half parading around the ballroom, spinning and turning under the sparkling lights. So far, Bear had proven to be the best dancer with her signature moves and crazy flexibility. Dearie was probably second best, with one of the White Queen's knights following as third. And while March Hare was a really sweet girl, she really wasn’t lying when she said she had two left feet. Caterpillar was the most dramatic with her ostentatious grand waltz, an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter