Sanctuary

SANCTUARY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yul looked at his lunch box. The once delicious sandwich was then filled with sand. Yul heaved a sigh. This isn’t the first time. Ever since the semester started two weeks ago, Yul had been facing such incidents daily. All started when Yul moved to this school.

Yul didn’t have any idea it would be like this. In his old school, he had fun with his friends. There were no bullying at all. However, when he moved to this seaside state, going to school to the rural area, everything changed.

“Here.” Yul looked up to a girl, Jung Sooyeon.

He looked at the kimbap Sooyeon put near him.

Yul knew the kimbap would be salty or too spicy to eat. He glared at Sooyeon. It was easy to deduce as Sooyeon was friends with the bullies as well. Sooyeon shrugged when Yul stood and walked away with taking the kimbap.

//

“It’s okay to eat this. See?” 

Yul turned to Sooyeon who was taking a bite of an onigiri. It was February, same old trick, sand in lunchbox although Yul had guarded it, he still didn’t understand how they managed to do so. Yul watched Sooyeon took another bite. His stomach grumbled in hunger. Sooyeon waved the onigiri in front of him and he took it and ate it in one bite. Yul watched Sooyeon opened another one, taking a bite to prove to Yul it was okay to consume before handing it to him. Yul took it and ate it too.

“Those guys, they are just messing with you.”

“They are bullies, your friends.”

“Well, they were my bullies too, actually…” Sooyeon heaved a sigh.

“Liar.”

“This was me.” Sooyeon suddenly showed her picture in the first grade, a chubby girl with curly hair. Yul  smirked.

“I’m not stupid.” Yul said.

“You’re blind.” Sooyeon said as she kept her picture again.

“I lost weight and they stopped bullying me.” Sooyeon watched Yul’s reaction. He ogled her, uncomfortable of her words about weight.

“No one should be bullied just because they are fat. Ridiculing others because of appearance? How shallow.”

“I agree.” Sooyeon nodded before she continued “hence, let’s stick with me. I will protect you.” 

“Protect me?” Yul didn’t understand.

“I can protect you from being bullied. You just have to stay close to me.” Sooyeon smiled.

“What’s the agenda? Why would someone like you want to protect me?” Yul felt like Sooyeon was really looking down on him.

“Because I was in your shoe. I know what you feel. Is it wrong for me to help you?” Sooyeon stood from the bench they were sitting.

“I didn’t ask for your help. Stop playing with me.” Yul said instead before he walked away, leaving Sooyeon dumbfounded.

//

Yul walked alone as he was heading home from school. He stopped when he saw the group of bullies laughing not far from the corner he has to take. He heaved a sigh. Yul looked at his left when Sooyeon was suddenly beside him.

“Let’s take another way.” Sooyeon said, pulling Yul’s chubby hand to the other way.

Yul was contemplating whether to pull away his hand or not. He looked at Sooyeon who was leading the way. 5 minutes later, they were on a familiar road towards his house.

“Thanks…” Yul said and Sooyeon smiled to him before walking away.

Yul watched Sooyeon disappeared to a corner before he smiled too.

//

Yul opened his lunch box to find it perfectly fine. He looked at Sooyeon who sat down in front of him with her lunch tray. It had been a month that they have hang out together and the bullying stopped gradually. Yul and Sooyeon was inseparable. They were together everywhere they go. For the first time, Yul has a girl friend that was really kind and understanding. Sooyeon helped him with his clumsiness when he lost his wallet, he forgot his homework and such.

“Sooyeon…do you want to come to my house today? My family is celebrating my brother’s birthday.”

“Oh…your younger brother?” Sooyeon ate her lunch.

Yul nodded.

“I would love to but it doesn’t feel right to come empty handed.”

“That’s okay. You don’t need to give him anything. My parents have prepared lots of presents.” Yul rest assured.

“But-“

“I tell you what, I can give you 20000 won, buy him a colouring book. He would love that.” Yul said, taking out some money and gave it to Sooyeon. 

Sooyeon looked at the money and nodded.

“I’ll see you at?” Sooyeon asked.

“The party starts at 6. We’ll be having bbq party.”

“Nice.” Sooyeon beamed and Yul beamed as well.

//

Yul enjoyed the party more than he expected as Sooyeon was there with him. She was all about enjoying the food and Yul was happy to comply.

“Your girlfriend?” A cousin of his teased secretly and Yul just blushed before going to Sooyeon who was enjoying the cake they just cut.

“This is all amazing, Yul. Thank you for inviting me.” Sooyeon looked really happy eating all the food.

“I’m glad you enjoyed your time.” Yul placed the glass of drinks for Sooyeon and sat beside her as they secluded themselves at a bench not far from the garden where the party was.

Yul was all smile watching Sooyeon eating and chatting with him before the party ended an hour later.

Yul parents even gave Sooyeon some takeaway as there were so many uneaten grilled meat. Sooyeon thanked Yul and his pare before she walked home.

“She’s a nice girl, Yul. And, I think, you have never had a friend that is a girl.” His mother and he couldn’t help but to blush before laughed when his father joked how Sooyeon was his girlfriend.

//

It was Monday and Yul was walking to school when he saw the bullies and Sooyeon at an alley. He hid and spied on them.

“So when will it be?” Joonki said.

“I say one more month? He has not said that he loves me yet.” Sooyeon was holding some money.

“When that will be?”

“How am I supposed to know? You were the one who put the rules that I can’t say it first!” 

Sooyeon whined and they laughed.

“That fatso is really getting on my nerve.” Joonki and the bullies stood.

They then kept on talking while walking away. Yul couldn’t believe what he heard. His hand trembled in anger. Sooyeon was actually acting all along. Acting being nice to him for money. Yul’s chest waved in anger. He kicked a stone near his shoe and walked to school.

//

Sooyeon smiled at Yul as she sat beside him. The boy smiled at Sooyeon as well. 

“The takeaway your mother gave last night.” Sooyeon opened her lunchbox. 

Yul beamed when Sooyeon explained how her family loved the grilled meat so much.

“But your mother packed so much, so I brought it for lunch today. My mother stir fried it with some onion and vegetables.” Sooyeon ate and Yul smirked.

“You’re supposed to eat last night. Overnight meat is not healthy.” Yul said cynically.

Sooyeon was oblivious. She chuckled instead.

“Still good.” Sooyeon ate happily and Yul looked away.

//

Sooyeon glanced at Yul as they walked home silently. 

“You’re so quiet today.” Sooyeon said and Yul looked at the girl.  He looked at the locket she wore, which he gave her two weeks ago as a gift. 

To think of it, he was always the one who gave her something. He was always the only one who spent money.

“I was just thinking, if you can wish for one thing, what would you wish for?” Yul glanced at Sooyeon.

Sooyeon looked at the sky.

“For me, I would wish for honesty. I would want everyone around me to be honest to me.” Yul took a jab.

Sooyeon laughed while Yul just stared at her.

“That’s a funny wish. I would personally wish to be rich. I want to be so rich that I can help anyone who needs help. I want to be so rich that I can just give away my money without having to think if I have any left.”

Yul smirked and looked away.

“Money…is that all that you can think of?” Yul rolled his eyes.

“You’re well off, what would you know how much someone like me need money.” Sooyeon rolled her eyes too.

“Maybe I don’t but I would never sell myself and dignity for money!” Yul yelped and Sooyeon was taken aback.

They stared at each other in the middle of the empty road. 

“How much did they pay you?” Yul asked grimly.

“…” Sooyeon was speechless.

“How much?!” Yul shouted angrily.

“100000 won.” Sooyeon took a deep breath as she felt somewhat uncomfortable.

Yul scoffed and laughed while Sooyeon watched him.

“That cheap?” Yul was bewildered.

Sooyeon was embarrassed.

“That necklace you wore is a lot more expensive! You could at least have some decency!” Yul snatched the necklace angrily and Sooyeon yelped in pain.

Sooyeon held her neck while Yul threw the necklace away into some bushes by the road.

“I should have known all along. You have never been sincere! You are a real life gold digger! A !” Yul shouted, pushing Sooyeon away from him.

Sooyeon fell to the ground, crying silently. Yul glared at the girl, fuming in anger. He felt like hitting Sooyeon but he knew what a boy of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter