Downpour

Redamancy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

C h a p t e r  t w o
Downpour



. ✦ .
 

I looked out the window of Afterglow, my art shop where I had a display of the ones I had made and different art materials. I have two branches with the main one in Seoul. However, this one was pretty special as this was the first store where my studio called Afterglow Atelier is adjacent.

It was the time when Spring and Summer met. In short, it was the time of the year that we most likely got storms around here. By the looks of how the skies were slightly starting to grow dim, the weather was about to go crazy in a few hours. I started tidying the table before I proceeded to close the blinds and noticed the weather outside.

The clock on the wall said forty-five past one in the afternoon when I decided to wrap everything up in the shop. I usually close at 6 PM but today I planned on closing in the rest of the afternoon because I had an out-of-town delivery I must make.

There was a broadcast last night that the storm might hit late afternoon today which was enough reason for me to hurry. Turning around, I walked toward the counter and started putting everything in order and was about 80% done when I heard the door open.

Didn’t I flip the signage over was my first thought upon hearing the door chimes.

“I’m sorry, we’re already closed for…” I immediately said trailing off as I turned around to face the customer. “Today,” I muttered in a fading voice when I realized who I was looking at.  

For a second, I thought my brain was making up an image I so often thought about lately that I started to hallucinate. I blinked my eyes in defense to nudge myself to the present but the person remained on the same spot.

Byun Baekhyun, the voice in my head concluded that he was not a made-up image courtesy of my subconscious. I had to quickly acknowledge how insane it was that he looked so casual in a black long-sleeve and a pair of jeans and only had a black cap and a mask to conceal his celebrity face.

“Hi.” He greeted.

I took another moment to just stare at him wondering how on earth was he standing in front of me here in my shop of all places.

“Baekhyun.” I breathed out not wanting to alarm him that I might have frozen.

“You’re closing early?” He asked, filling the conversation I obviously failed to carry.

“Ah, yeah.” This time, I moved around the counter to lock the drawers wanting to gain some time to conceal my reaction.

Funnily, I noticed how my fingers quivered. I was nervous while still unable to comprehend why he was there.

Yes, he had been my friend for the longest time and I, by no means, should not feel this uneasy around him, right? I didn’t perfectly recall when I started to feel slightly awkward. Though if I could pinpoint the exact time, it was probably right after his birthday last May which was roughly around two months ago.

Insane as it sounds, I must have started to feel this confusing and unexplainable attraction toward him. I was sure something had shifted in me from the moment I woke up snuggling with him on his couch. Something I must undoubtedly resist.

That was why I purposely missed the last few gatherings our group arranged with him just because I didn’t want to feed whatever this was, I was starting to have on him. Gosh, I even laughed at myself in the mirror when I tried to reason that it was just a simple crush.

I mean, if he was just some celebrity I didn’t personally know that would be justifiable. But no, he was my friend forever. It was weird to develop an attraction to him now. I didn’t understand and now that he was right here with me, I still don’t get why.

“Why?” I heard him ask again, verbalizing the last word I had in my head as he leaned on the counter.

He was closer to me now and could inhale the heavenly musk of his perfume. He also removed his mask and his cap which nearly made me gasp. Girl, he’s the smartest in your circle. He’s going to find out about your stupid infatuation with him if you don’t get your act straight. The voice in my head said as

I placed my hands on the counter to force myself to act casually. Thankfully, my fingers were steady now.

“Because of the weather?” He asked once more as if knowing exactly that I was struggling inside and wanted to make things harder for me, he placed his arm next to mine so that the outline of his fingers touched my skin.

I mentally punched myself as I cleared my throat.

“I have something important scheduled this afternoon.” I miraculously delivered before I left my spot by stepping back.

He looked at me and I knew that expression. He was starting to notice how weird I was acting around him.

“Hari?” He said my name and I wondered how it sounded so beautiful coming from him.

“Hm?”

“Are you okay?” He asked.

“Yeah.” I lied. “Of course, why would you think I’m not…” I trailed off realizing I was sounding a bit defensive.

“I don’t know but you look a little flustered, your cheeks…” He paused and continued to stare. “I’m not sure if you’re blushing or you’re not feeling well.”

I touched my cheeks and almost cursed. I was blushing for sure.

“I’m fine, I promise.” I insisted as I chanted silently in my head for the blushing to go away, go away.

“So, you’re blushing?” He raised an eyebrow at me.

I just stared at him, dumbstruck. His eyes bore into mine and that slight eyebrow raise was testing my ability to act calm. I opened my mouth to say something, however, he let out a small laugh.

“I’m kidding.” He said. “I mean why would you blush because of me, right?” His smile was a little too handsome and up close today. “It’s not like you have a crush on me or something.”

Whoa. I swear I would not be able to survive this anytime soon. However, I inhaled ever so subtly and opened my mouth for the most casual response I would think of but the door chimed once more signaling another person’s presence.

Baekhyun and I looked at each other. His face was bare and exposed we could not afford him to look behind or else he’d be in trouble for sure. I tried to think of a way to hide him but he was too big for me to scoop him or something. That was why without thinking more, I stepped closer to him without a warning and cupped his face with my hands. My intention was to hold his face steady and make sure he would not be seen.  

“Baby, it’s sweet of you to surprise me…” I blurted out smiling at him to back my acting. “This is the best birthday gift ever.” We exchanged looks that almost made me fold.

I saw the corners of his mouth rising realizing what I was doing and looked like he was stifling a laugh. He even opened his mouth in an attempt to say something but my right index finger was quick to stop his lips.

I tilted my head to check on the newcomer who I purposely wanted to hear the conversation. It was a woman about our age and she must have immediately seen our awkward position.

“Sorry, I didn’t see the signage.” She apologized as she darted her attention to the signage. “I will just come back the next day.”  She bowed before she turned around to leave.

I let out a sigh of relief as soon as the door closed behind her.

My attention naturally went back to Baekhyun and noticed how my hands were still on his cheeks. That amused expression still written all over his face yet my eyes fell to his mouth. I removed my hands from him before I could even commit a grave mistake.

“Sorry,” I exclaimed, my hands falling to my sides.

He let out a small laugh, tilting his head down before he looked up to meet my eyes once more.

“So, I’m your Baby, huh?” He teased, a handsome yet cocky grin decorating his face.

I could not believe this man. My eyes grew wide at his chosen response. Yet, now, I found what I said embarrassing and funny at the same time.

“Shut up.” I laughed as well. “I panicked, okay?” I reasoned out, looking away for a bit. “I was so scared you’d pull something crazy and turn around and expose your whole handsome Byun Baekhyun face to the newcomer.”

He chuckled at my reasoning before he lifted his hands to his cheeks.

“Wow, your hands were warm, my cheeks don’t feel that cold anymore.” He stated.

I balled my hands into fists as I forced my brain to think of a way to escape this situation. I cleared my throat, wanting to take control of my reactions.

“By the way,” I spoke catching his attention. “My superstar friend, what brings you here?” I smiled at him. “You’re in the middle of your fanmeet tour, right?”

He nodded and the corner of his lips rose as if he was happy with my question.

“What’s so funny?”

“Nothing,” His smile grew wide. “I just didn’t expect you’d be updated with my stuff.”

I blinked my eyes; did I give myself away? Did I make it too obvious how I’d been keeping up with his career updates lately?

“Well, uhm, you know…it’s all over the news…and…” I paused when I saw him look away with that same amused smile on his face. “We attended the one in Seoul, remember?”

He nodded but there was something in the way he subtly smiled as his eyes lingered on mine. It would be insane if I assumed that his heart fluttered because that would be how I’d smile if my heart somersaulted because of someone I like.   

“So,” I caught his attention once more, wanting to distract my absurd thinking. “Were you filming something nearby and decided to drop by and say hi?”

“No.” He answered quickly. “I have some free time for a couple of days.”

“Hm.” I pondered as I looked at him. “We’ve been friends for too long Baek, so I know that you’re more likely to spend your free time at home than anywhere else.”

“You’re right.” He simply agreed with a nod.

“So…” I try to make sense of his reply. “What exactly brings a Byun Baekhyun to my shop today?”

“I, uhm…” He paused, momentarily tilted his head down as he rubbed his nape with his right palm.

It almost seemed as if I just threw him a hard question.

“I came here to see you.” He resumed looking straight into my eyes. “I asked Mina to make sure where you might be and she said that you’re always here in your shop that’s next to your Atelier.”

My heart skipped a beat. This doesn’t make sense at all because even though we’re friends, we never met outside of the group meetings after he rose to superstardom. It would be us and some other friends, never just the two of us. Why would he want to see me separately?

“You weren’t attending the group meet-ups recently.” He went on as if making a point. “I wonder why.”

“Yeah, I was busy,” I spoke.

“But you happen to attend the ones when I was not around?” He replied, skeptical. “I’m starting to think you were actually avoiding me.”

I swallowed. How was this man so good at calculating things? He makes lying and making excuses such a difficult job right now.

“Well, it’s probably just…the…timing,” I explained, my throat about to run dry from all the alibis. “You know, we’ve grown busy and all…you with your career and me with my business.” I trailed off as I saw how he was staring intently at me, seemingly not convinced. “Why would I want to avoid you, Baekhyun?”

Yeah, Hari, why? I asked myself.

“I don’t know.” He shrugged. “But I’m a bit bothered, I kept thinking if I did something to perhaps…upset you.”

I let out a nervous laugh.

“I’m not upset Baek,” I answered. “Why would I be?”

He made a quick nod. “Okay.”

“Aren’t you scared someone might recognize you?” I add in a matter-of-fact tone, trying to change the topic for the nth time.

“I don’t think anyone will ever recognize here.”

I could not believe his reply.

 “South Korea isn’t that big, you know that, right?” I reminded him. “Believe me Baekhyun, your fans know your every angle, of course, they will recognize you if they see you here.”

“So,” He narrowed his eyes. “You’re scared someone might recognize me and see me with you? You’r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter