under the rain (one-shot)

under the rain

As the two best friends make their way across the hallway, they are interrupted by a student of their grade. 

 

“Chaewon unnie, I-I  was wondering if you wanted t- to go on a date with me after school today?” the girl said while her cheeks had a red tint to them while looking down at the floor. Meanwhile, the taller one between the two friends felt jealousy building up inside her as she watched the girl ask her best friend out on a date. .

 

“I would love to, bu-” 

 

“Sorry, me and Chaewonnie are going to hangout after school, so maybe ask her another time.” Minjoo interrupts Chaewon and grabs her hand harshly and walks away from the girl.

 

Kim Minjoo and Kim Chaewon have been friends ever since they met on a playground. When they were kids, they thought that they were destined to be together since they both had the surname Kim.

 

“Minjoo, promise me that when we’re older, we will get married together.” 7 year old Chaewon then brings out her ring pop from her pockets and shows it to 6 year old Minjoo. 

 

Meanwhile Minjoo was in shock at what just happened.  So instead of denying it, she took the ring pop from Chaewon’s hand and put it on her ring finger. “Of course I will Chaewonnie!” Minjoo exclaims as she grabs the older one in a bear hug. Chaewon smiles softly at her and returns the hug back.

 

As Minjoo reminisces about that memory, her best friend starts shaking her a bit.

 

“MinMin, what was that for?” Chaewon asks with a worried tone. She’s never seen the other Kim so jealous before. She doesn’t know how to describe Minjoo earlier, maybe angry? “It’s nothing Chaewon-unnie, let's just get to classes before the bell rings.” 

 

Chaewon knows that Minjoo is upset, her friend was tense and her words were rough. The girl sighed, brushing it off for now. ‘Maybe I’ll ask her during lunch.’

 

‘OMG WHY DID I DO THAT??! I LOOKED LIKE SUCH A JEALOUS GIRLFRIEND!’ Minjoo thought, blushing as she realized she had inadvertently called herself Chaewon’s girlfriend.. Yes, Minjoo has had feelings for Chaewon ever since they were highschool. But she has never thought of going beyond their friendship to something more . . . 

 

Minjoo shook her head from all her thoughts and went to her classroom before her teacher would scold her for being late.

 

When she entered her classroom, she was lucky enough that her teacher for this class was not there yet, so she made her way to her seat and looked outside the window for the rest of the period. 

 

RING RING RING

 

The bell rang, signaling to the students that it was now lunch time. Minjoo woke up to the sound of students rushing out of their classrooms, heading to the cafeteria and talking with their friends. As she was about to leave the room, somebody blocked her from exiting. She scoffed as she recognized that the person who was blocking her was wearing a football varsity jacket of their highschool. She tried to push past him but since he was part of the football team, he easily stopped her from doing so.

 

“Where do you think you’re going princess?” Hwang Hyunjin spoke as he slowly started walking towards Minjoo which made her take steps back.

 

“To the cafeteria, Hyunjin. Where else would I be going right now?” asked Minjoo as she started to get uncomfortable from the close distance between her and Hyunjin.

 

“Well, maybe on a date with me.” said Hyunjin as he winked at Minjoo and continued to corner her in the classroom. “You know the answer Hyunjin, this is my fifth time saying no to your stupid dates.” Minjoo replied back with an irritated voice. But Hyunjin only took it as a challenge. 

 

“Stop lying to yourself baby girl, you know you want me.” As Hyunjin finally cornered her, he started to caress her cheeks with the back of his hand. “Come on, let’s go and I can make you fee-”

 

“What do you think you’re doing to Minju, Hwang Hyunjin?” Said a cold voice interrupting the football player from continuing. Minjoo opened her eyes to see who it was. When she saw it was Chaewon, she felt relieved and had a small smile plastered on her face. 

 

“It’s none of your business Kim, this is between me and Minjoo.” Hyunjin replied, his voice annoyed since she barged in. “It is my business Hwang Hyunjin, you should stay away from Minjoo, you understand? I can get you off the football team, you know that.” Chaewon said, smirking at Hyunjin’s horrified face. Chaewon’s dad was the owner of the school, which of course had some perks such as having the key to the rooftop of the school and a personal room, but it also had its downsides such as accusations being thrown to her, saying that she’s only top 1 in the class because her dad gives her the cheat sheets for the exams, but she’s used to it and just ignores those people. After Chaewon finished, Hyunjin ran out of the classroom leaving the two girls alone.

 

As soon as he left the classroom, Chaewon approached Minjoo and pulled her into a hug. 

 

“Do you know how worried I was? I was afraid he would do something to you.” Chaewon said, tears threatening to run down her cheeks. “Sorry Chaewon, I didn’t know he was going to approach me here.” Minjoo replied, hugging the girl. They were both quiet until Minjoo’s stomach grumbled, interrupting their sweet moment. Chaewon giggled and looked at Minjoo.

 

“So, you wanna get some lunch now?” she said with a small smile.

 

 “I would love to.” 

 

TIME SKIP

 

Minjoo was getting ready to go home with Chaewon after their classes, that is until she saw her with another girl. From her perspective, it looked like they were kissing. As tears ran down Minjoo’s cheeks, she ran out of the school, even though it was raining. Chaewon saw the girl running outside and watched as the girl ran through the rain, with no umbrella or any cover in sight.

 

“So, do you want to go to my hou-”

 

“Sorry I'm not interested in you and I have to go now, bye!” Chaewon said in a hurry as she ran to where Minjoo went.

 

“MINJOO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT IN THE RAIN WITHOUT AN UMBRELLA?!” 

 

“IT’S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, JUST CONTINUE WHAT YOU WERE DOING WITH THAT GIRL!” Minjoo exclaimed and scoffed at Chaewon as she stopped and walked to her.

 

“What do you mean? I thought we were going home together?” asked Chaewon, confused on why Minjoo was pushing her away.

 

“You know what I mean Kim Chaewon.” Minjoo said sternly as she faced Chaewon.

 

“Oh do you mean that girl? I swear Minjoo I don’t even know her, she just walked up to me and asked me to go on a date. Why are you jealous?” Chaewon asked with a teasing smile, but she stopped once she saw that Minjoo’s face was serious.

 

“What if I was jealous then? God Chaewon, I like you ok? You’re oblivious can’t even notice that I constantly stare at you! I’ve always liked you, ever since we started highschool! You’re sweet, always caring for me and I can’t handle seeing all those girls throwing themselves at you every single day and the nerve they have to do it right in fro-” Minjoo was cut off with a pair of lips.

 

Chaewon kissed Minjoo because she finally knows that Minjoo likes her back. You see, Chaewon has always liked her ever since she saw her in the playground, that’s why she approached her and asked her to be friends. That’s also why she keeps rejecting those girls and guys who confess to her. Chaewon was also quite jealous when she noticed Hyunjin’s advancements towards Minju.

 

Minjoo just realized that Chaewon is kissing her which made her eyes go comically wide. Instead of staying still, she kissed her back to show how much she really likes Chaewon. They both smiled into the kiss and after they pulled away from each other, Chaewon decided to speak up.

 

“I love you Kim Minjoo. I knew you were the one I wanted to be with for the rest of my life ever since I saw you on the swings when we were kids. So, would you take this dance with me, under the rain?” 

 

“Of course I will Kim Chaewon.” Minjoo said with a bright smile.

 

As Chaewon took Minjoo into her arms, they danced under the rain with big smiles on their faces. They knew that this would be a memorable night for the both of them. Even if they got sick the next day, they wouldn’t change anything because this moment had been all they wanted.

 

-FINISHED-