Do You Know The Way?

Heist of a Lifetime

 

Monaco, 11 p.m

Krystal and Taehyung reached the Hotel de Paris Monte-Carlo, one of the most prestigious hotels in Europe. They arrived in Lee Byung Joon's black limousine, with the politician's hand glued to Taehyung throughout the entire ride. Occasionally, Krystal would be a part of the conversation, but most of the time it was just the politician trying to make small talk with Taehyung. Although he was only interested in Taehyung, the politician had invited Krystal to the hotel and said she was "welcome to watch."

"Well, here we are." Byung Joon says as his driver opens the limo's door for him.

The three of them step out of the vehicle, and the politician seems to whisper something in his driver's ear. Soon after, the limousine drives away from the drop-off point, right outside of the hotel entrance. With his hand still on Taehyung's back, the politician was about to lead them inside when he was suddenly called out.

"Wait, sir!"

The voice came from one of the two grey sedans that had been following their limousine throughout the entire ride. The car has its driver's seat window rolled down, and Krystal recognises the man inside. He is one of the politician's bodyguards, in a car cramped with other bodyguards.

"It's alright, you can leave," The politician waves his arm, shooing the man away. "I would like some privacy tonight."

The bodyguard nods, and the two cars proceed to leave the scene. Byung Joon led Taehyung to the hotel, but Krystal stayed put for a while. She watches with interest as a cab arrives at the same drop-off location not long after.

Rosé steps out of the cab, thanking the driver on her way out. When Krystal notices that her accomplice has arrived safely at the hotel, she makes her move and catches up with Byung Joon and Taehyung.Rosé was quick to follow them while pretending she had nothing to do with Krystal.

After the four of them had entered the elevator, Byung Joon pressed the button that would take them to the sixth floor. Rosé played her role by saying that she was coincidentally going to the same floor. To her relief, the politician bought the lie.

It was not long until they reached the politician's room, with Rosé walking in the opposite direction to not arouse any suspicion. The three that were left then entered the hotel room.

If you can even call it that. It was more of a suite, with multiple rooms inside. Krystal thought the suite could comfortably fit an entire family. Then again, being a politician comes with its perks, and getting an entire suite all to oneself is definitely one of them.

Without wasting any time, Byung Joon drags Taehyung by the hand to the bedroom. Taehyung turns his head to Krystal, again with horror in his eyes.

"I have to use the restroom really quickly." She says as her eyes scan the entire place, searching for the map.

"First door to your left." The politician quickly responds while not even facing Krystal.

"Thanks," Krystal said, walking to the door that Byung Joon had pointed out. "You can- uhh- proceed without me."

The pair stepped into the bedroom and immediately shut the door once they were inside. Just as the door closes, Krystal goes back to the suite's main door.

She pulls it open and sees Rosé waiting right outside. The next phase of their plan ensues as Rosé enters the suite and they begin searching for the map. Even though the politician would not be staying in Monaco for long, he still brought tonnes of papers and documents with him, as can be seen around the suite.

"What are we looking for exactly?" Krystal whispers to, seemingly, herself.

"Since it's an old map, it's probably sealed inside a folder or anything with a hard cover."

Yeoh's voice came out of Krystal's earpiece. The other piece that Taehyung was using is now worn by Rosé. The two women then split up as they try to look for anything that matches Yeoh's description.

Rosé starts digging through the pile that was lying in the living room. Krystal, on the other hand, makes her way into a secondary bedroom, which was filled with more documents. She flips through folders, pulls every drawer open and even cracks a safe in the wardrobe. The safe contains just a blank chequebook, and so Krystal lets out a groan as the search continues.

Byung Joon has already taken off his coat inside the master bedroom. He was in the process of untying his tie when he noticed that Taehyung was standing still at the side of the bed.

"Aren't you going to take your clothes off?" The politician asks as he takes off his tie and throws it on the nightstand.

"I think we should take things slow," Trying to buy some time, Taehyung replied. "To make sure we really get into the mood, of course."

Byung Joon raises an eyebrow, but he complies, nonetheless. He then takes his shirt off and lies down on the bed, now with only his singlet and pants on.

"Sure, we can have a little chat first." Byung Joon pats the still vacant side of the bed.

Reluctantly, Taehyung joins the politician on the bed. But then, he detects a bunch of document tubes inside the television cabinet opposite of the bed's footboard. Almost all of them were black, with the exception of two dark grey tubes.

"You keep your documents inside the bedroom, huh?" Taehyung points at the items that have piqued his interest.

"Ah those? Just some city plans and... oh! There's an old treasure map too. But beside that, nothing much really."

Taehyung's eyes lit up after hearing the politician's reply, and he tried to dig for more information.

"Treasure map? Have you tried searching for it?"

"Well, I had sent some men to go look for it, but all they found was ruins from an ancient civilisation. They scoured through the entire place, but no treasures were found. That's why I've been planning to sell the map since then. It's probably worthless anyway."

The fact that the politician's men failed to locate the treasure did not surprise Taehyung at all. The door to the treasury can only be opened by its key, the green emerald in his possession being a part of it.

Now that he has found the thing that he was looking for, Taehyung just needs an exit strategy. Without giving it much thought, he acts on the first thing that crosses his mind.

"Do you have a blindfold?"

"Ooh, now we're talking!" The politician pulls out the nightstand drawer and takes out a sleep mask.

Taehyung takes the sleep mask and puts it on Byung Joon as gently as he can. He could hear Byung Joon softly moan as he was putting the mask on. Once he is sure that the politician's eyes are completely covered, Taehyung gets off the bed and tiptoes towards the document tubes.

Instantly, he picks up the two grey document tubes and dashes out of the bedroom. He figured that the map must be inside one of the two, considering that those were the ones that stood out from the other black tubes.

In his hurry to escape, Taehyung slammed the bedroom door against the wall, which had turned Rosé's and Krystal's attention to him. Krystal was the first to take notice of the tubes that Taehyung had in his hand. The three heist members stayed frozen in their act, turning their heads to one another.

"Well, do you wanna stand there all night?" Krystal says as she shrugs in a sarcastic manner.

Her rhetoric prompted Taehyung and Rosé to immediately run out of the room. She was quick to follow, but so did Byung Joon. As she passed through the master bedroom on her way to the exit, Krystal could see the politician frantically getting up from the bed.

"Thief! Come back here!" Byung Joon shouts, which forces Krystal to pick up her pace.

After exiting the room, Krystal tries her best to slow down the politician by knocking down a display vase in the hallway. Calling her out from inside the elevator was Rosé, while Taehyung was holding the door open.

She made it into the elevator, and as the door was closing, all she could see was the politician with his hands on his knees. He was visibly out of breath as he gave up the chase and defeatedly walked back to his suite.

They got out of the elevator as it reached the ground floor and stopped running only after they had exited the Hotel de Paris Monte-Carlo. Krystal takes the document tubes from Taehyung, and she pops them open one by one.

"You've got to be kidding me." She says as she skims through the documents.

"Oh no, please don't tell me-" Rosé, who has already dropped to the ground, moans in disbelief.

"Anyone mind filling me up here?"

"We fled the target's suite as soon as we had the map," Krystal answers Yeoh's query before turning to Taehyung. "As it turns out, these are no treasure maps at all. It's just some freaking city plans." She made a point of emphasising the last part, and Taehyung responded by pressing his clenched fist to his brow.

"The map is in the bedroom, but there were too many tubes to choose from." Taehyung tries to defend himself, but it just makes things worse.

"You could've just taken them all!" Rosé gets on her feet and stands face to face with Taehyung.

"It all happened too quickly!" Not backing down, Taehyung tries to justify his action. "You would've done the same had you been in my position."

"No dimwit, I would've stolen every single tube in that room!"

"Oh, how could I forget?" Taehyung sarcastically smacks his forehead before adding on. "You, out of all people, would definitely know a lot about stealing."

"Ooh, I'm sorry, Mr. Getaway Driver. I also forgot that you're only useful when you're behind the wheel, miles away from danger!" Rosé says as she pokes a finger on Taehyung's chest.

"That's enough."

Instead of using the same loud tone as the other two, Krystal opts for a stern reply. Taehyung and Rosé stop arguing and turn their heads to Krystal. She knows that she was somewhat at fault for starting the quarrel, so it would only be wise for her to be the one to end it.

"Let's just go back up there and get the map." Krystal drops the documents that she was still holding and starts walking to the hotel entrance.

"How are you planning to get into the room again?"

"Well, the target didn't actually see Rosé in the room. So, when we knock on his door and he only sees Rosé from the peephole, chances are he's gonna at least open the door. I'll just knock him out or something then."

The others were astonished by Krystal's ability to come up with a plan on the spot, and so Taehyung and Rosé glanced at each other before following Krystal from behind.

Since the elevators could only be operated with a key card, they were forced to use the stairs instead. It was a journey to climb their way up to the sixth floor, but they made it in the end.

Krystal leads the way to the politician's room, but as the three reach it, she realises that she did not have to enact her break-in plan at all. The suite door was already gaping wide, as if inviting them inside.

They carefully enter and are met with papers scattered throughout the entire living room. It looked like someone else had broken in, as the condition of the suite was different compared to the state they had left it in. The place is now a complete mess. He must have thrown a tantrum after we left, Krystal thought.

Rosé walks towards the master bedroom, and her jaws instantly drop to the ground. Krystal approaches Rosé to find out what was causing that reaction, and she does.

The politician, Lee Byung Joon, was found dead on the bed with a gunshot wound to his head. Blood flows out of the wound as it streams through the politician's face, soaking the bedsheet. The man's face is totally unrecognisable now, with only his outfit serving as an identification mark.

Rosé could not stand the graphic scene, and she covered her face with her hands. Krystal pulls her into an embrace as Rosé starts to cry out of shock. After seeing the same thing as the pair, Taehyung closes the door to the master bedroom.

While comforting Rosé, Krystal realises that since the wound is still fresh, it is highly likely that the murderer was still in the suite with them. She turns her head left, facing the secondary bedroom. That is when she sees it: a man holding a gun while ransacking through some documents.

She could make out that the man was not just any random murderer. To her surprise, it was G-Dragon.

And again, to her surprise, he sees her too.