Chapter 4

UNSINKABLE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Flashback  
 

Baekhyun navigated through the heavy rain, the windshield wipers swishing back and forth to clear his view. Despite the limited visibility, he pressed on, feeling the urgency of the situation with each raindrop that hammered against the car.

 

As he approached the intersection, the red light loomed ahead, a sudden barrier in his path. Baekhyun's foot instinctively pressed against the brake pedal, bringing the car to a halt with a screech of tires against wet asphalt. Frustration boiled within him, a seething anger that threatened to spill over at any moment.

 

"Damn it!" Baekhyun's voice echoed through the confines of the car, mingling with the pounding rain outside. He pounded his fist against the steering wheel, the hollow thud echoing his frustration as he ran his hand through his hair, fingers tangling in the damp strands.

 

Mer was never late, never one to miss a meeting or appointment. The fact that she hadn't shown up weighed heavily on Baekhyun's mind, a gnawing sense of unease that twisted in the pit of his stomach. The velvet box nestled in his pocket seemed to burn against his skin, a constant reminder of the unanswered questions that plagued him.

 

Baekhyun's hands trembled as he gripped the steering wheel, the rain pelting down on the windshield like a relentless barrage. He could barely see through the downpour, his heart pounding with each passing moment. With a harsh curse, he slammed his hand against the steering wheel, the frustration and fear bubbling up inside him.

 

The red light seemed to mock him, flashing insistently as if taunting him for his helplessness. Baekhyun's mind raced with worst-case scenarios, his thoughts spiraling out of control. Was she hurt? Lost? The mere idea of something happening to her sent a shiver down his spine.

 

Finally, the light changed, and with a surge of adrenaline, Baekhyun slammed his foot on the accelerator, heedless of the consequences. He raced through the streets, his heart pounding in his chest, each passing moment stretching out into eternity.

 

When he finally reached their apartment, he practically flew through the door, his clothes drenched and his hair plastered to his forehead. The sight of the empty apartment sent a pang of despair through him, his worst fears realized.

 

"Babe?" he called out, his voice trembling with desperation. Silence greeted him, broken only by the sound of his own ragged breathing. The sight of the untouched meals laid out on the counter only served to deepen his sense of dread.

 

"Mer?" he called again, his voice cracking with emotion. Tears pricked at the corners of his eyes as he searched every corner of the apartment, his heart sinking with each passing moment. The scent of her perfume hung in the air, a cruel reminder of her absence.

 

With trembling hands, Baekhyun pushed open the door to their bedroom, his heart pounding in his chest. The room was empty, save for the faint scent of her lingering in the air.

 

"Love, I know you're here. Can you come out, please?" His voice quivered with a desperate plea, echoing in the emptiness of the room. Baekhyun's heart sank as he waited for a response that never came.

 

"Baby, please... please..." The weight of uncertainty bore down on him, dragging him to his knees beside their bed. His shoulders slumped, defeated, as he cradled his head in trembling hands. Tears threatened to spill from his eyes, but he fought to hold them back, unwilling to let himself break down completely.

 

"If... if you know about... my plan tonight... I... won't do it anymore, okay?" The words choked out of him, each syllable heavy with regret and longing. He swallowed hard, the lump in his throat making it difficult to speak. "Just come out, hmm?" His voice wavered, a desperate plea for reassurance in the face of crushing loneliness.

 

For what felt like an eternity, Baekhyun remained rooted to the spot, his body a heavy weight dragging him down into the depths of despair. Each breath he took was a struggle, the air thick with the weight of his grief.

 

As he gathered the strength to move, his limbs felt like lead, each step a Herculean effort. Yet, despite the overwhelming urge to collapse under the weight of his sorrow, he pressed on, driven by an insatiable need to find her, to make sense of the emptiness that threatened to consume him whole.

 

When his eyes fell upon the TV, a small sticky note caught his attention. It was placed right in the center, as if waiting for him to find it. With trembling hands, Baekhyun peeled it off, his heart pounding with anticipation and dread.

 

His heart sank as he read the note. Each word felt like a weight on his chest, dragging him down into a pit of despair. He read it again and again, hoping against hope that he had misunderstood or that there was some other, less painful meaning to the message.

 

But no, the words remained the same, mocking him with their finality. He pinched himself, slapped his own face, desperate to wake up from this nightmare.

 

But it wasn't a dream. It was a harsh reality that he couldn't escape from.
 

 

"I will love you forever,"

 

 

.

.

.

 

"Chanyeol, please!" Baekhyun's voice cracked, his eyes pleading as he reached for another bottle of liquor, only to have it wrestled away by Chanyeol's steady hand. Days had passed since Mer disappeared, leaving him adrift in a sea of uncertainty and fear.

 

Every attempt to contact her had been met with silence, each unanswered call and unread message echoing the emptiness that now consumed his world. With each passing moment, his desperation grew, a gnawing ache in his chest that refused to be ignored.

 

Alone in his anguish, he sought refuge in the numbing embrace of alcohol, hoping to drown out the pain that threatened to consume him. But with each sip, he only felt more hollow, more lost, until he was nothing but a shell of the man he once was, shattered by the weight of his own sorrow.

 

"Yeol, please," Baekhyun's voice trembled as he pleaded with his friend, desperation clear in his eyes as he dropped to his knees before him. "You'll help me, won't you? You'll help me find her?"

 

Chanyeol's heart ached at the sight of his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter