Chapter 12

Stuck With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After their talk earlier, the atmosphere between them became heavy. They were already heading in front of the beach (the same place where they arrived) for the contest to officially start. Along the way, the two didn't speak to each other. Not a single word was uttered between them. 

 

Yujin led the way, walking ahead of Minjoo. She was walking at a quick pace that made Minjoo quicken her pace as well. Minjoo watched as Yujin continued walking in front of her. She decided that she should say something to lessen the tension in the air. When Minjoo was about to speak, Yujin stopped in her tracks. Minjoo was confused for a second until she realized that they already arrived.

 

There wasn't much any change to the place. It lookes the same as earlier. The only difference was that on the far right of the beach there stood a big screen. It was being held by a stainless rack. The screen/tv was about 80 inch in size and had the text 'Twist of Fate' flashed on it. Standing next to it were the two mcs, Tiffany and Moonbin each holding some papers in their hands. 

 

The students were standing in a single file, facing the waves as it hits the beach's shoreline. There were also a couple of beach chairs around the place. Two for each pair and between the chairs stood an umbrella and a small table that had complimentary snacks and drinks placed on them. 

 

"This doesn't look like a contest at all." Minjoo heard someone say from beside them. It was Yena, who tried whispering to Yuri but failed to do so. 

 

Minjoo looked around the place. Yena was right, it didn't look like a contest. Do all contest feels relaxing and calm as this? 

 

"Hello everyone!" Tiffany greeted as soon as all the students were present. "I hope you got some rest and were able to eat just before our first challenge begins." 

 

There were a chorus of response from the students, each one having a different answer—except for Yujin and Minjoo who kept silent. 

 

"Now as you can see with our setting, the first challenge will not start just yet." Moonbin decided to speak after Tiffany. "For the first segment of our contest, we will be having a mini game first." 

 

The students listened intently at what he was saying. Minjoo began to think of what this mini game could be. 

 

"From experience, we both know that all of you don't know each other that well. But, given the time before the contest and the break this morning, we expect that you know even a little bit of something about your partner. With that, we'll be giving you these papers with questions on them that you have to answer." Moonbin lifted the papers he was holding. 

 

"You'll be given a total of 20 minutes to answer these questions. You can sit, relax, and unwind while answering it. No pressure at all, that is why we set up the place like this. This is just a mini game intended for you guys to better know each other." Tiffany assured.  "Talking is not allowed while answering. You must answer on your own without asking your partner anything." 

 

"Is the mini game for you all clear? Are there any more questions?" Moonbin asked them. 

 

When no one asked, a sign that they all understood, Tiffany smiled. "Please line up everyone and get your pens and papers here. We will be starting now." 

 

-- 

 

Each students took a beach chair that was in front of them. They were seated by pair. Even if it was a mini game, the contest has already started. Although for the students, the mini game didn't give them much of a pressure. Since it was a mini game, they decided that they weren't going to be scored just yet so they answered naturally. 

 

It seems like every single one of them knew a thing or two about their partners as they all answered in silence, not even asking the other for answers or even try to signal each other for a clue. All of them were answering smoothly except for Minjoo. 

 

Yujin and Minjoo took the chairs just a single pair away from the mcs. From where Minjoo was sitting, she could clearly see how the mcs were watching them carefully, but not too strict enough for one to be intimidated. 

 

Minjoo didn't know why. The MCs weren't the reason on why she couldn't answer. Was it the people around them? But looking at the space, no one paid attention to her. The others were busy finishing the task on their own, some were also munching down the snacks given to them. 

 

What was it really that made her unfocused this time? 

 

As soon as she glanced to her right to see the younger girl she's been paired with, all the answers came to her. It was because she was guilty, guilty for saying all those things to her earlier. 

 

Ever since Yujin and her left their house, Minjoo has been reflecting on her actions. Sure, she did a good job of being honest and telling Yujin just how she felt but still, she was too harsh on her. She could've said it in a nicer way and not the same way that she did earlier. Besides, she has no idea if Yujin didn't want to be paired with her the same way she did. 

 

From the small trip to their house to the beach and the little amount of time that they have been sitting here completing the mini game, Minjoo concluded that Yujin really was mad at her. Yujin didn't even give her a glance nor acknowledge her presence even once after their conversation earlier. 

 

Minjoo thought she deserved it. No one deserved to be treated the same way she treated Yujin. Yes, she did hate her and all but the younger has been nothing but nice towards her ever since they were paired up together. Even if they weren't close, even if they know nothing about each other except for their names, Yujin treated her as if she was her friend. It wasn't just her preparing their lunch earlier or the fact that she allowed Minjoo to pick which side of the bed she wanted, but Yujin already tried communicating with her even before the contest started. 

 

The "ice cream incident" (as Minjoo would like to call it) also happened. Her friends were all present at that time when they all went out, yet no one came to her house after that to check on her or give her a little something after their little bonding. Not Yuri, not Sakura, not Hitomi, and not even Chaewon, but Yujin did. She even remembered how Yujin made sure the ice cream didn't melt just for her to taste it. 

 

That was enough of a reason for Minjoo to apologize to Yujin. Plus, they'll be spending months together. If Minjoo will let this to go on, it'll be an awkward three months for sure. Not only that but she knows they wouldn't win the contest with an awful communication with each other. 

 

Getting back to her thoughts, Minjoo shook her head slightly and looked at the big screen next to the MCs. Four minutes have already passed and they still had 16 minutes more to go. Just enough time for Minjoo to apologize and answer the questions at hand. 

 

Minjoo put the paper on the sand, moved closer to the edge of her seat, and tapped Yujin on the shoulder. Yujin glanced at her, her eyebrows furrowed, as she went back in answering again. 

 

Minjoo breathed out a sigh. This was the price of her being rude earlier. 

 

"I know you don't want to speak to me or listen to what I have to say but I just want to apologize for earlier." Yujin still wasn't looking at her but Minjoo knew she was listening. 

 

"I was pretty dumb for saying all those things to you without thinking about your feelings. Same as before, I want to win this contest. But if this will be the price of it, you and me not being to talk to each other, not even giving ourselves the chance to be friends, then I don't want it. I'm really sorry. If you can forgive me, I'll promise I'll be a better partner for you and a better... friend." Minjoo finished, muttering the last word. She was still unsure if Yujin and her could be friends. But for the sake of everything, she knows that she has to befriend Yujin one way or another. 

 

Yujin didn't move from her spot even as Minjoo finished apologizing. Minjoo sighs again. She thinks that Yujin still needed some time to think things through before talking to her again. Taking this as a sign, Minjoo grabbed the paper from her side to continue answering. 

 

A huge weight was lifted from Minjoo's shoulders and the air between them didn't feel as heavy as it was before her apologizing. Minjoo took it as a good sign and started answering. 

 

But before she could even land the tip of her pen on the paper, she heard Yujin speak. "I forgive you." 

 

Minjoo lifted her head slowly, unsure of what she heard. "Y-You do?" She asks Yujin who was now looking at her. 

 

Yujin looked away for a second, pursed her lips then nodded. She then returned making eye contact with Minjoo. "You seem pretty sincere about your apology and I understand how this is all overwhelming to you, the contest and what the feeling of living with a stranger is like. So yeah, I forgive you." 

 

Minjoo's eyes widened as a grin started to form on her face. "Really? Ahh, thank you so much! I promise I won't act like that again." 

 

Yujin's lips formed into a small smile as she nods at Minjoo's words. "Alright. But let's start answering now. We have less than 12 minutes left and I'm sure the more that we talk to each other, the more chances the MCs won't let it go the next time." Yujin looked behind Minjoo as the two mcs were already looking their way. 

 

Minjoo nodded and pretended like she was already answering. She then heard Yujin added in a whisper, "Besides, I want to win too. You didn't have to give me that pep talk earlier. I sure as heck want to win this contest as much as you do." 

 

Hearing that made Minjoo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter