fin.

exception

"Who's up for boba?" 

 

The question was met by enthusiastic responses. Chaewon chuckled at how energetic her friends could be even after hours of school just by a mention of food. Yena especially, she hopped happily before stopping, abruptly. "Last to arrive will pay," she had her eyebrows wiggling up and down just before storming down the street, leaving her friends in disbelief. Well, at this point they should've known better anyway. 

 

Chaewon shook her head and chuckled a little. They're not freshies anymore. They're gonna get juniors soon. She felt the urge to 'grow up' and be all cool and composed. She believed her friends thought so too. 

 

Her smile dropped quickly when she turned to look at her remaining friends, Hyewon and Chaeyeon, only to see them already running as well. She groans. "Well I suppose spending a little won't hurt," she sighs and followed her friends. She won't run though, she's getting into character. That is-- calm and composed.

 

"Hey! Are you really that unathletic?" she could hear Chaeyeon laughing from a distance upon Yena's remark.

 

Nevermind, she'll get into character next time.

 

 


 

 

Sipping her drink, Chaewon listened to her friends' stories as they chatted at a table just outside the boba shop. She did pay for everyone's drinks after all. Looks like sprinting last minute didn't get her to pass any of her friends in time.

 

She felt content watching her friends enjoying their drinks. Hyewon with her 80% sugar boba, Chaeyeon with her chocolate boba and Yena with her matcha boba. "Hey do you realise? We're gonna be seniors soon," Yena tapped the table rather excitedly. That made Chaewon focus back to their conversation. "Yeah, my sister will enrol in our school," Chaeyeon said and the table starts their teasing agenda.

 

"Oooooh are we getting 'Chaeyeon unnie' soon?" and the whole table hyped Hyewon's teasing. "Oh please, all of you will be called unnie here and there too," Chaeyeon stated with a smug look on her face. Just the thought of it sends shivers to Chaewon. "That's so cringy,".

 

Yena made a dramatic face. "OOooooOo really? We'll see how you'll handle being called unnie everyday next year then,"

 

"As long as I don't bother them they won't have a reason to talk to me," Chaewon replied as she flips her hair over her shoulders. "I don't like kids,". 

 

 

 



 

 

 

"and for homework please complete the exercises on page 24...."

 

Chaewon couldn't care less to what the teacher was saying anymore. She started to pack her bag when she realised there's only 2 minutes left before the bell rings. She had her plans ready. Once the bell rings, she'll beeline through the sea of students and get home as fast as possible.

 

It's the start of a new season on the game she's been playing over the school break, and she's eager to update it right away. She's so committed to it that she actually considered to be a professional gamer and drop out. But she won't risk getting scolded from her mother so she just kept the thought to herself.

 

"...that's all for today,". The bell rings.

 

As expected, Chaewon was the first to get out from her class as everyone else just starting to pack their belongings.

 

She never walked this fast before, she humors herself. The hallway wasn't crowded yet which made Chaewon loosen her guard. One last turn and she'll see the school gates. All she could think of right now was the new theme the game has to offer. 

 

The rush of adrenaline as she will jump from buildings to buildings. The satisfaction that'll wash over as she gets the first place.

 

She picked up her pace.

 

The sleepless nights playing with her teammates. The limited edition outfits to be obtained.

 

Chaeyeon once scolded her for not being present whenever she thought about something. She probably would have pulled her aside if she had seen her walking with unfocused headlights. Exactly what she's doing right now. Chaewon walked so fast that she didn't even get the chance to pause when someone from the corner she was heading to walked right into her path. As you might guessed, they bumped into each other.

 

Her fast reflexes helped her. She quickly gripped the person by their arm, keeping them both from falling onto the opposite person. Chaewon sighs with relief as both of them gained balance and let her hand fall to her side. As she bowed and apologized, she dashed out of the school gates.


Maybe she should've looked up and see the stranger's face. Maybe her apologize could've sound more polite. All those only if her mind wasn't clouded with her game that's constantly calling her. 

 

She missed the doe eyes that shake when they looked at her. She also missed the person's nametag.

 

Kim Minju

 

 

 



 

 

 

Minju had that exact moment replayed on her head countless times. She's intrigued by the girl. Brown short hair, cute red blazer. Her strong scent- was it really baby powder? Her eyes that showed she's not present. Well, she was just right in front of Minju, but it's obvious her mind was elsewhere. Minju chuckled at the thought. She was so cute. She couldn't help but to always look for this certain brunette everyday at school. From the hallways to the cafeteria. Even as she passed by other classes.

 

Her mind was occupied with Kim Chaewon today too, as she walked through the hallway with her bestfriend. "Yuri," she nudged her friend. Said friend turned her head to her, waiting for her to continue.

 

"Have you heard of Kim Chaewon?". Although Minju isn't good at keeping eye contacts, she is very observant. That's why that day the first thing she noticed about the person bumping into her was their nametag. 

 

Yuri tapped her chin, trying to recall all the names she learnt. Both of them were new. It's only been 2 weeks since the first years enrolled. "I don't think we have a Kim Chaewon in our year," she answered after a while. "Perhaps a senior?"

 

-

 

Since she couldn't keep it to herself any longer, she told Yuri about her encounter with Chaewon when they arrived in class. Which in response, earned a gasping and all too excited Yuri slapping her arms several times.

 

"OH MY GOD MINJU YOU MOVE TOO FAST," she exclaims and Minju scrambles from her seat to cover Yuri's mouth before she gets embarrased more. Seeing Minju all worked up only made Yuri laugh louder. Minju sits back, defeated with her friend's antics. She rolls her eyes when Yuri can't seem to stop laughing anytime soon, her eyes already teary.

 

"Oh c'mon all I did was ask whether or not you know her, not asking you to introduce me to her," Minju crossed her arms and turned to face her table. She could feel her face heating up and no way would she let Yuri see her face in this condition. Wiping her tears with the back of her hand, Yuri dragged her chair closer to Minju. She propped her elbows on the table, her face on her hands as she eyed Minju.

 

Suddenly the math homework on her lap looked interesting. Minju stared at the book so intensely she might as well burn a hole through it.

 

"My neighbour is one year above us, she might know Chaewon," Yuri tests the water. To her amusement, Minju raised her head a little too fast to not seem interested. Realizing she set herself up again, Minju buries her head onto her palms while Yuri starts teasing her again. Her laugh was contagious though.

 

With her head still hidden by her palms, Minju smiled.

 

 

 



 

 

 

"No, no and yes," Chaewon responded, struggling to get rid of Yena's hold on her. 

 

"Do you want to meet my neighbour? Have you talked to any juniors? Are you going to play games right after school ends again?"

 

Yena only tightens her grip on Chaewon's arm. "Nooo, pleaseee my neighbour wants to see my friends," she reasoned out. Chaewon looked over her shoulder to meet eyes with Hyewon, her silent plead for help. But Hyewon was all in for this unfortunately. "Connections are important Chaewon, who knows maybe one of these juniors could offer you a job at their family company or something in the future," she smirks.

 

Visibly deflated, she gave in and let Yena drag her to wherever her neighbour's classroom might be.

 

-

 

"So I was thinking, do you want to walk home with me today?" Yuri asked, turning to face her friend who's busy putting her books into her bag.

 

"What do you mean? We walk home together everyday," Minju glances at her friend for a moment while zipping her bag. Hearing Yuri giggle made her stop. She was met with an annoying grin plastered on the Busan girl's face. "Yuri what are you up to this time-"

 

"JOYURIIII" and that was enough to cut MInju's words. Yuri waved eagerly to the voice that called her. Minju turned around to see Yena standing by the classroom door. Yuri showed her this said neighbour the other day when they saw Yena at the cafeteria, though she hasn't introduced herself yet. When she suddenly saw the person standing beside Yena, she wasn't prepared at all.

 

Kim. Chaewon.

 

Her breathe hitched. The eyes that looked straight at her were too mesmerizing, and Minju wondered how dumb she looked at that exact moment. She couldn't even control her facial expressions. awestruck. She saw, for a split second, Chaewon's mouth twitched into a smile. Just a split second because she swiftly turned her head back to Yuri, who's trying hard to contain her big teasing smile.

 

"WHYDIDNTYOUGIVEMEAHEADSUP" she whisper-screamed while hitting Yuri's arm repeatedly. "You aren't making any progress, you're gonna thank me later," getting up, Yuri did a dumb face to Minju as she made her way to Yena.

 

"Hello unnie" Yuri flashes a gummy smile at yena. Then she bowed a little to Hyewon and Chaewon. "Hello, sunbaes,". Hyewon greeted her back while Chaewon appeared distracted. Yuri followed her line of sight and had to stop herself from cooing at what she discovered. Chaewon was looking intently at Minju, who's chanting to herself "you can do this!". Yuri almost lost it when she saw how Chaewon chuckled softly when Minju clumsily stood up, only to have her bag strap stuck at the table's edge. 

 

Minju wanted to disappear into thin air.

 

 


 

 

Minju walked back home that day with light steps. She can't seem to wipe away the smile on her face. She looked up to the sky, greeted by the beautiful purple hue. Dusk was approaching. The leaves on trees down the road sway gently along with the wind. Minju looked at her hand. To be more precise, what's in her hand. The strawberry lollipop Chaewon gave her.

 

-

 

Minju stayed close to Yuri throughout the walk. She didn't dare to look at anyone other than Yuri for more than 20 seconds. Everyone had been nice. Yena kept on asking her questions-- nothing too personal, which made it easier for her to talk. She was thankful to Hyewon too, said sunbae have been sharing 'tips for survival' to her. Like how she shouldn't get on Miss Kwon's bad side-- and not to walk down the corridor at the old building side alone as there are some ~interesting~ stories there. Minju, being the scaredy cat she is, appreciate how Hyewon didn't try to scare her with those stories.

 

But once in a while, Minju would muster her courage to look at Chaewon. She's too quiet to Minju's dismay. The only times she heard Chaewon's voice were when she said, "Hello, I'm Chaewon" or "I'm sorry Yena is so talkative" and her occasional giggles.

 

Oh. Her giggles. Those should be illegal. Minju could feel herself physically melting when she heard Chaewon giggles.

 

-

 

Chaewon stretched out her arms as she felt herself calming down. Hyewon was right, she should take time away from her computer game routine and live in the moment now and then. Instead of hurried steps and hectic thoughts, today she was pleased by the comfort of the afternoon breeze, pausing to take it all in. Her body quieted ... as if its time for some rest.

 

Walking together with some juniors wasn't as bad as it seemed. The one with bangs ... was it Yuri? She's pretty fun to hang out with. Her stories hold people's attention for sure.

 

She glanced to Minju. Seeing the girl looking so nervous gave her a sense of deja vu. First year Chaewon was a shy kid too. She thought Minju looked cute listening to Hyewon, she would nod at every sentence looking so serious. It fascinates her when Minju replied to Yena's jokes with her own. The wind wasn't strong, but enough to keep messing with the junior's hair that she had to tuck it behind her ear repeatedly. Chaewon had half a mind to reach out and help the girl when she saw her giving up and simply allowing her hair free. She didn't.

 

-

 

It was too good to be a coincidence. Yuri totally planned this. Worse, she might've told Yena who told Hyewon about her secret ... crush ..? No no. Admiration. Yes. Her admiration towards Kim Chaewon.

 

Minju was distracted talking to her seniors that she couldn't tell they were walking down a different route rather than her usual way back home. Normally, Yuri and her would pass by the cafe owned by a scary looking aunty, turn to the left, and arrive at her neighbourhood. Then, Yuri would walk a bit further to reach hers. Right now, they're a few steps to entering Yuri's neighbourhood.

 

"This is our stop," Yena said as she halted her steps. "Hyewon will come with me cuz we got a project to finish,". Hyewon threw her a questioning look. "What project? I thought we just submitted it just n-- OUCH" Hyewon couldn't finish her sentence as Yena pinched her arm discreetly. Play along. Finally reading the room as she saw Yuri mouthing something, Hyewon looked at the kims while controlling her expression. Holding in her laughter that's threatening to come out. 

 

Being Chaewon, she should've rejected whatever this plan her friends was trying to attempt. Walking a kid back home? Never written in her life. She glanced at Minju. Her face red as she shook poor Yuri's shoulder and what was that? Is she saying death threats? Yena already had her annoying face on. "Take a good care of our junior here will you?" Hyewon whispered to her before laughing along with Yena. 

 

Clearing , Chaewon said something she never thought she would ever do. "I'll walk home with Minju then. Bye Yuri ...and you two," she turned her heels, getting ready to walk. Yuri winked at Minju then pushing her away towards Chaewon. "TELL ME ABOUT IT TOMORROW!" the Busan girl shouted, running away before Minju could hit her. 

 

Taking a few breathes as she watched the three girls walking away, she slowly turned to Chaewon. She bit the insides of her cheek. She just knew her ears were red as hell at this point. She adjusted her hair in a way her ears won't peek out. Forget being insecure, she won't let this chance go down the drain. She holds Chaewon's eye contact. Why are you so pretty. "So where do you live, sunbaenim?" she took small steps until she reached Chaewon's side. 

 

Chaewon didn't even try holding in her smile. The girl beside her, who's trying so hard to look at her was too adorable. Her eyes could be seen shaking from time to time. Chaewon let out a chuckle. The one that turned to light laughter when she saw Minju looking so confused. Her eyes round as she pouts. "Hey, what's so funny?" she crossed her arms.

 

"You're just too cute," Chaewon finally replied, her laughter ended and is now smiling softly. "I w-what? Ooh okay..." Minju looked away. She played with her hands, feeling nervous again. Chaewon tilted her head, trying to look at Minju who kept turning her head away. What do I do with you.. really. 

 

-

 

After a while, somehow they could finally break the suffocationg tension in the air. It's been a while since Chaewon last felt so relaxed. Maybe that's why talking to Minju on the way home wasn't hard. She could be cracking the simplest jokes, and the girl would still laugh. Minju also told her how her days were going. She only had a little experience, heck she's only one year ahead of this junior, but the way Minju seemed to trust and rely on her views about junior struggles at school kept herself talking. Last time she checked, she's supposedly the quietest one amongst her friends. This was a fresh change. 

 

Along the way, Chaewon decided she would let Minju drop formalities. Chaewon unnie. She would say. Also somehow manage to include it in every sentence she spoke. An act of teasing or she just enjoyed calling her unnie, it warmed Chaewon's heart nevertheless. 

 

"So.. this is me," Minju scratched her cheek. She didn't want to part ways with Chaewon just yet. Who knows if she could talk to Chaewon ever again. Heck, she might just spend time with me today because the situation called for it. "Hey.." Chaewon softly called out to her. Minju pushed aside the questions playing in her head. Chaewon's brown eyes glistened in the golden light of the setting sun that kissed her, and for a moment, she looked just like a princess.

 

a beat

 

"Hey Minju, do you hear me?" Minju finally got up from her daze and realized she had not been paying attention. Your beauty is distracting. "Let's exchange numbers," Chaewon repeats, her phone already out from her pocket. "Yeah sure... wait WHAT," too good to be true. Minju wondered if she spent all her luck for this year just for today. For the nth time, Chaewon chuckled. "Yeah, you're really fun to talk to," I like your voice. 

 

Since she kept stumbling on her words while trying to tell her number, Chaewon suggested that she just type it into the older girl"s phone. "Yeah-- brilliant," Minju breathes out. 

 

Before she left, Chaewon fished out something from her pocket. "Minju! Wait," Minju who was already walking ahead stopped and turned around, confused when she saw Chaewon fast-walking to her. "Here," a strawberry lollipop was placed onto her palm. Looking up, the short-haired girl was already walking away.

 

"For being a good companion today!" Chaewon waved, grinning.

 

 



 

 

 

Yuri should never know about this. But nothing can be kept a secret from her bestfriend. She's as sly as a fox.

 

"Ayyy texting lovergirl again? Just date already," Yuri cooed as she slings her arm over Minju's shoulder-- not so discreetly stealing glances at the taller girl's phone screen. Minju could totally tell Yuri was looking, obviously since she could hear her squeling. "Aish c'mon I demand privacy!" Minju tried to sound serious, pushing Yuri's arm away and walked a little faster, leaving her friend behind. "Oh? Oooh! So you really have something going on?" Yuri called out from behind. Minju turned around, her shoulders and hands raised in the ‘I don't know’ pose. But her grin gave it away.

 

 


 

 

Since that day, Minju and Chaewon have been exchanging texts. Daily. They couldn't see each other often at school other than during luch, so they would always talk about their days through texts, stickers, and emoticons.

 

One day when she's feeling particularly brave, Minju risked sending a selfie to her. Trying to mask her intentions, she told the older girl "for feedbacks. Should I post this on my sns?".

 

She never posted it. Chaewon never deleted it too.

 

-

 

Months passed by and sending selfies were no longer alien to them.

 

pritti senior :>

*1 photo attached*

Me pouting cuz I miss you >:(

 

In the comfort of her room, Minju squeeled into the nearest pillow she could reach. Sure, they've even started to flirt occasionally, but that doesn't mean her heart was prepared everytime. Luckily Chaewon can't see how much she affected the girl. Minju took a few deep breathes and stood up to go near her bedroom window. Good lighting=good selfie.

 

cute frog ;p

*1 photo attached*

Too bad the feeling isn't mutual :p

 

Chaewon chuckled reading the text. She rolled over so she's laying on her stomach.

 

pritti senior :>

The movie night organized by the theater club this weekend, are you going?

 

cute frog ;p

Of course~ they're playing the latest movie. Are you?

 

pritti senior :>

Yeah... Hyewon's dragging me. But oh well at least I can see you ;D

 

cute frog ;p

Yeah you better dress prettily then. Impress this girl you've been missing so much ><

 

pritti senior :>

We'll see who'll swoon who then 

 

cute frog ;p

Challenge accepted :O

 

 

 



 

 

 

Groaning as she read her newly received text, Minju combed her hair back in frustration.

 

I can't make it today, sudden change on my piano lesson sched, sowwy :(( enjoy the movie without me !! Though don't enjoy too much.. I know Chaewon's coming hehehehe.

 

Sure she could walk up to some of her classmates and join them. But she didn't want to spend 3 hours feeling uncomfortable. She sighed and opened the entrance door to the theater room. The lights were still on, so she could see people clearly. Scanning the seats, she greeted familiar faces as they walked past her. The room wasn't so spacious-- enough to fit around 200 students. The club members made a survey to see how many students could come. Judging by the number, they wouldn't need to use the hall-- hence this theater room was chosen insetad. How did Minju know all these? Well Hyewon is a club member and she had told her a few days ago when they met at the cafeteria. 

 

Other with Chaewon, Minju also grew closer to Hyewon, Yena and Chaeyeon. These four have been sitting with her and Yuri during lunch breaks. Though most of the time Chaeyeon would excuse herself early to attend the student council matters. Speaking of the devil, Minju jumped a little when she felt a pat on her shoulder. "Did I scare you? Hehe I'm sorry. Now come, your seat would be on the VIP section," Hyewon dragged her by the wrist, leaving no time for questions. 

 

She was dragged to a corner where a sofa could be seen. "Woah woah-- how come I'm on the VIP list?" she was genuinely confused. "Special treat from the club's vice president for her friends," Hyewon winked before leaving her alone as she was called to go backstage. Right, she is the vice president. Minju finally sat down, with hesitation on the brown sofa. To her left, she could see another sofa, longer as it seated the club members. One of them she recognized as Yabuki Nako, the Japanese girl in the same grade.

 

Soon the the room was almost full, everyone arriving just in time before the movie starts. Hyewon had joined her back on the sofa. She knew Chaeyeon and Yena couldn't come today... but she's sure Chaewon said she would. She looked and looked around again, trying to find her. All that searching made her oblivious to the person that's slowly approaching her. Chaewon had hidden herself backstage. Watching Minju searching for her made her felt giddy.

 

"Oi who is it that you're so desperately looking for?" Chaewon was satisfied with Minju's reaction. Minju gasped and reached out to hold Chaewon's hand. She pulled her to come closer, tapping the seat beside her. "You're lucky the movie hasn't started yet. Had you come later I won't tell you what happe--"

 

Her words were cut short, because Chaewon didn't sit beside her. The short haired girl, without warning, sat on Minju's lap. Minju blinked several times, trying to process whatever-the-hell was happening. "What are you doing?". Chaewon turned her head a little "Sitting duh,". "There's a vacant seat here, HERE," Minju tapped on the space eagerly, displaying how nervous she was. "I like it here better," . Giving up, Minju gulped and tried not to think much of it. Close friends sure sit on each other's laps right?

 

"Can you loosen up a bit, I feel like I'm sitting on a rock,". Ha as if that'll help me relax. Suddenly, Minju became so conscious of her every movement. One, because she might make Chaewon feel uncomfortable. Two, well... she didn't wanna risk changing Chaewon's mind and lose having her so close. She's warm. The lights went out one by one, until only the single light remaining by the screen as the movie's starting. Minju felt her face heating up. The mood felt intimate since it's so dark.

 

Without warning, Chaewon suddenly leaned back, the back of her head touching the younger girl's shoulder. Minju was in disbelief. Whatever game this girl was pulling right now, surely succeded in driving her crazy. She hoped she couldn't hear her heartbeat because it sure was beating rapidly. Minju decided her arms were too stiff by her sides. She kept contemplating whether or not she should snake her arms through the older Kim's side and wrap them around her waist. Wouldn't that just be so romantic?

 

As if Chaewon could read Minju's mind, she took her right arm, then her left, and secured them around her waist. "Maybe don't voice your thoughts too loud. You're flattering me," she had said. Minju gasped-- perhaps a bit too loud, because Hyewon threw her a questioning glance. She told her it was nothing with an embarrased smile. "Excited much girl?" Chaewon teased. 

 

Gosh, Chaewon would me the death of me someday.

 

Halfway through the movie, Minju managed to brush away her previously tense state. Ignoring the butterflies dancing in her stomach as she focused on the movie. Chaewon has been absentmindedly playing with her sleeves that were still tightly secured around the brunette. Truth be told, Minju wasn't paying attention to the movie. She was busy making up 1001 romantic scenarios in her mind. Also somehow convinced herself to hold onto some words of wisdom like 'never waste a chance' or something. This chance won't come around often anyway, so Minju decided to bring the best out of it.

 

Slowly, the younger Kim brought her lips close to the brunette's head. A chaste kiss was left on top of her head. From her calculations of possible outcomes, she kinda expecting to be left that day being rejected. In her mind, a scenario where Chaewon got mad and pushed her away then storming out was already playing.

 

None of those happened.

 

She heard a low hum when her lips left her hair. "That felt nice," Chaewon whispered. Three words were enough to make her smile dumbly. Involuntary, a light chuckle left before she could even stop it. Chaewon tilted her head, meeting face to face with Minju. She had her eyebrows quirked up. "You look like an idiot," 

 

The night deepens. People say we are honest late at night because we're too tired to even sugarcoat anything. "You can have this idiot if you want," Minju accidently voiced out her thoughts. Maintaining a smile, she looked at Chaewon who seemed to be searching her eyes.

 

Are you trying to see if I'm joking? My heart never lies..

 

When she took too long to respond, Minju's smile faltered as she felt her heart slowly dropping. She broke eye contact and proceed to focus on the movie instead. She wished this night could end sooner.

 

Whatever sadness, negative thought she were feeling, instantly went away ...

 

when she felt something soft against her lips. She was too shock to even return the kiss. Her eyes so wide it made Chaewon laugh.

 

"Yes, I want this idiot please,"

 

-

 

That night they walked hand in hand as they both blushed planning their future dates. Holding hands as they welcome this new level of their relationship.

 

The moonlight as their only witness when they shared a kiss under a cherry blossom tree.