Chapter 8, Arc I "Breaking Out"

Undying Snow (Under Editing)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

“I was wondering where and how it went wrong at first,” He spoke slightly hoarsely as he walked towards the rectangular table and took a cup filled with ceremonial wine. He sipped his wine and briefly stared at her, but then his eyes glazed over and went dazed, as if he was recalling something...or maybe someone in this case  "I had been waiting in vain for a long while that I failed to recognize the difference," His voice was wistful, his gaze far away.

 

He carried her to the bridal chamber to make her take a rest, and since she can't escape because her acupoints are sealed, she became a temporary invalid who can only rely upon him. He gently brought her to the bed and respectfully sat down, not beside her, but on the area of the red table which had foods like red dates and with ceremonial wine again. He kept his distance and she breath a sigh of relief on that. He ultimately unblock her acupoint so that she can move again, but she remained seated. 

 

She swallowed thickly, she's nervous with this 'talk' because she's not good with confrontation, okay? She doesn't like it but she have no choice. You can't just hit a person when he's smiling after all. 

 

 

"I became so familiar with everything that I overlook the only variable" He paused, his gaze refocusing on her again "And that's you. You've finally come" 

 

He suddenly stepped forward and her feet had their own thought to step back to distance herself. You see, when you become a soldier, you'll develop that innate intuition. Your body will go by its instinct to stay away from potential danger as much as it can.

 

She's not sure how to behave when she have to confront a composed individual rather than someone who is insane, okay? Specially since she's technically in the wrong, in a sense, occupying someone's body that she doesn't own and all that. But in her defense it wasn't like she wanted to, okay? She was kinda forced to do Jungjeon's bidding. 

 

"You want to leave?" He asks it so lightly that she felt like there's some threat to it somehow. As if he forgot to add 'You dare want to leave with that body?'

 

It sent chills down her spine. 

 

But no matter what, she still need to leave to fulfill the resentment contract, or else her measly little half-soul will be obliterated and she still wanted to go back home and do her own revenging, okay? Only saints forego revenge, obviously she's no saint "I have to" she swallowed, carefully selecting her words so that this other ancestor don't blow up.

 

"What if I don't let you leave?" He stopped sipping on his wine, looking at her, waiting for her reaction.

 

She was startled. Why ask then? She wanted to say but she bit her lip to stop her smart mouth as to not get in trouble.

 

Has he gone insane from missing Sujin so much?

 

This person has such a calm and imposing presence that her alarm bells should be blaring nonstop, but it surprisingly did not. 

 

Something seems off around her alarm bells; She's feeling confused. Thinking of a possibility that her soul and this body aren't quite well adjusted yet.


 

Goosebumps.

 

She hates this! She hate being in a scenario like this where she's unsure of what to do. The silence is killing her, She'd rather they fight it out instead.

 

.

 

She felt the need to tread carefully, as if she's a prey who has unwittingly offered herselfself on a silver platter of the predator again. An unhinge version this time, because just look at them talking like they're old buddies catching up on some trivial stuff. They look the part, but they actually are not buddies and are not catching up on some trivial stuff. 

 

She took a breath to steady herself. If it's not yet obvious, yes she's nervous "Then I can only fight it with you" she said, gathering her courage. She doesn't know what's with this person that she felt guilt whenever she looks at him. Speculating that maybe this body has some residual feelings for him.

 

He appears to be struggling to maintain his composure and not lose it over something he has lost...

 

She don't know where that came from, but that's how he looks in her eyes.

 

"Okay" he said, almost half-heartedly.

 

"Ah?"  


 

She look at him as she distances herself  further and further, putting her hand behind her back as she try to coax her scythe to be summoned.

 

The coward who was cowering in a corner of her consciousness seems to be 'frightened' of the man in front of her. That only means...he is really strong.


 

"Jooheon, i'm ing telling you, if you don't come out here then that man will kill me, and if I die you'll be extracted from me!" She 'coaxed' him.
 

He was that spirit that was 'stirred' awake a while ago, attached to her soul. 'Stirred'? More like someone who woke up a long long time ago and just refused to come out! 
 

"B-but how can he extract me from you when my situation is different unlike the rest?" He said, almost hesitant of his logic.


He wasn't entirely incorrect. As opposed to those who must first create a life contract with a weapon they found or have found them or deemed them worthy; if the "owner" passes away, the weapon loses ownership and can create a new contract with a different person. There's actually a second way to have a weapon, and that is to forge them yourself but that's beside our point. 

 

Because when it comes to their situation, forged or not, once she's gone, then this goddamn coward will also have to follow her and be gone as well unlike the others. Y'all know soon.


 

She ground her teeth in annoyance "If I don't get out of here alive then neither can you, you idiot!" she said, baring her fangs to him on a snarl.


 

"Boss, although I'm really afraid of you on normal days, I'm even more terrified of the aura of that person" He said, feeling wronged "Can't you feel his destructive and oppressive aura? He's emitting it a while ago and that's why I can't come out. I'm being supressed, okay? " he said in a hissing voice, as if he's scalded somewhere "I don't know why you can't feel it though" he added, almost hesitant.


 

"What?" Her heart thudded, startled.

 

Here I am being all confused and and cursing and all along Jooheon can't even come out because he is being supressed?


 

Sweat formed on her forehead, her eyes never straying away from the caster's form, and at the same time having an internal battle about what she just heard.

 

She swallowed a scream.

 

Only one thing crosses her mind today and that is the need to get the hell out of here quickly because her gut is telling her that the guy that she's facing in front of her is dangerous and far too strong for the current her to face!


 

"N-not just dangerous, but way too dangerous for your current state," Jooheon added at the back of her mind as he struggled to speak out "...but I feel l-like he doesn't mean any h-harm to you though" he added in a little voice.


 

"Of course he doesn't mean any harm! To this body! To the original owner! Not me! Don't even gaslight me. Can't you see that he misunderstood the situation? His 'wife' suddenly died a couple of years ago, and thus this Dream Array. He made a soul summoning Dream array to call forth his dead wife's soul! And then I just happen to come into the body of his dead 'wife', of course he will take it as I am the sole responsible for that, but he cannot hurt me because this body is his wife's!" she hissed, explaining in one breath.

 

"Just so you know, I'm not a demonic cultivator, it's just an...accident that i'm here" She tried to explain to the Caster sunbaenim, as much as she can. For resentment contracts are, in a sense, dabbled between a not demonic cultivation and a demonic cultivation.

 

Hello, she's trying not to get killed here.

 

, I hate explaining . I'm not guilty, but somehow I feel like an accessory to the crime. So, a little  teeny weeny guilty only.

 

How ironic.

 

He nodded "I know, it was me who made the summoning after all" he confessed.

 

She gawked at him What? That's just fantastic, we had colluded in a way then? She thought in sarcasm.

 

She was once mistaken as a demonic cultivator and she was thoroughly 'cleaned' up. Just do a recap on why she's being hunted down on chapter one. She don't want her soul to be subjected to that kind of torture again. That 's exhausting as hell, okay?  It's already cut in half; the missing one I gave away and the remaining one is barely hanging by a thread and was still subjected to those tortures before. She does want to die, but not by torture means okay? A natural illness is much preffered, leave her half soul alone. 
 

That only means she needed to hasten to leave. Damn, that level of obsession is just dangerous and messed up! I mean i'm unhinge too, but his version is just to the next level.

 

If this is just a novel, then she would've been giddy and touched and all that while enojoying reading, because that dedication and loyalty is something else, okay? Like for real! Imagine, for a dead person you'll go cray cray (crazy) and summon their soul from the underworld with painstaking efforts and with high quality products and high amounts of spiritual energy to sustain it, because you love them too much, who wouldn't be touched? Right? Riiiight?

 

But the summoning just had to fail, and...this boy looked so lost, forlorn and brokenhearted but is keeping it together and owning up to his mistake instead. But the problem is that she, temporarily, cannot get out of this body, okay? How the hell is she going to explain that to this lost puppy? She's in a dilemma.

 

So...I might need to be a shameless little robber for a while, taking advantage of this lost puppy.


 

"Your hand..." He suddenly approached, at the same time she panicked and declared "I'm a robber!"

 

There was a defeaning silence as they looked at each other. Both sharing complex emotions.


 

She looked at her wrist where a small cut was formed because of the golden bracelets that she was wearing. She cringe What a vulnerable vase this body is. 


 

Her brows knot as she stare at her 'husband' with heightened vigilance and conflicted emotions. While he on the other hand was busy knotting his brows, looking at her hand in worry, hesitating to approach but dare not be presumptuous.

 

She instinctively hid her hand behind her back.

 

"T-the truth is...uh, I'm not her!," If it wasn't obvious enough "I mean I'm not the soul that you summoned!" She ride on that small courage she have. She has been reading too many novels, hopefully honesty can help her untangle with this mess.

 

"I did not make a mistake" He replied.

 

Bro, you just did. But she doesn't want to say it out loud.

 

I'm gambling with my life here! Dear God,Lord of the rings, Allah, Budha help me! 

 

He paused, eyeing her "Hmm..." he said, there was a flicker of emotion in his eyes but it was gone before she can idenitfy it.

 

What 'hmm?' what does that mean?

 

He suddenly chuckled, it was so bitter she can taste it. Bro, i'm really sorry for this offense but I needed to use this body "I'm sorry for your loss" she ultimately said. 

 

His eyes looked at her feet "You have a good base of qinggong, why not spar with me for a while?" He offered.

 

Dumbfounded, she asks "Huh?"

 

"It's one of the rules of this array. In order to spot its eye, you need to fight me" his voice was soft as he patiently explained it to her, so soft it feels like it's going to disappear.

 

"Then if you please"

 


 

A few minutes later...

 

"What..." I look down on my dress that now has a long tear up to my thighs because of my sudd

Please log in to read the full chapter